Fish!

Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish!

Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:05 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I like pretty much any fish, but going to buck the trend and put my marker down on cod for fish n chips! Haddock a very distant second, and "rock salmon" or whatever it was called darn sarf is an affront to the tastebuds!

Most regular ones I buy for cooking at home are salmon (for grilling, baking, cedar planking - kids go a bundle on it whichever way it arrives) and very occasionally cod for a pie. I've never seen fresh haddock here I don't think, though do get smoked now and then. Opening myself up for even more scorn and ridicule, I buy catfish and tilapia now and then too, normally when the fish guy tips me the wink that they've got some nice ones in. Not keen on the cornmeal stuff they fry it in here, but with a bit of blackened seasoning, or just fried with garlic it comes up lovely. I also get some whole fish at the chinese market that are lovely steamed with soy, garlic and some spring onions. No idea what they are - its all in foreign

Sushi/sashimi - love it, but only the "normal" stuff - once you start getting into the sea urchins, clams and squid I'm outta there! Kids love it too, so when we were in Japan over the summer we ate it pretty much every day. Went to a sushi train restaurant one night and had to use dynamite to get them out! Sadly there are a limited number of places that do it nicely here.

Shellfish - Shrimp I love and eat too often for my cholesterol levels, I like crab, but don't often eat it, and never cook it. Lobster I can eat, but not really keen, but other shellfish make me gag - oysters, clams, cockles etc look like they belong up a nose or in a petri dish on CSI.

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Oct 15th 2014 at 3:41 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
You've probably never had really good, proper sushi or sashimi then. I've never been to Japan, but when we worked in that London we'd often go to some of the sushi places in Soho that you knew couldn't be too bad as Japanese people would eat there.

I agree that most sushi is a pale imitation of the real deal, and I dare say that the same applies to my fave Soho places (mmm, Ten Ten Tei) compared to a good place in Japan, but once you get a taste for it, even mediocre sushi is something I crave now and again.

This - My sushi guy is old school japanese and it's mind blowingly good
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:06 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

That's just out of order. A bit like the lobster sashimi you get when you're eating the tail before the head is dead....
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

that's a little too raw - even for me. Didn't CSI:NY do a story line where the murder weapon was eating a live octopus
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:11 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
that's a little too raw - even for me. Didn't CSI:NY do a story line where the murder weapon was eating a live octopus
I would die of exhaustion running away from it.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
Yeah, vaguely remember that - something about sucker marks on the inside of his throat as it was going down....
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
sucker
That sucks.

Just realized you used the "T" word (Tilapia) earlier. Disgusting, nasty, no texture non-fish. Cod is nice though, but not as nice as a good piece of haddock (fried or smoked).

Last edited by Nutek; Oct 15th 2014 at 3:17 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, vaguely remember that - something about sucker marks on the inside of his throat as it was going down....
glad my fevered nightmares hadn't made that up
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
That sucks.
Specially for the octopus
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... "rock salmon" ..... is an affront to the tastebuds! ..... I buy catfish
I agree that "rock salmon" is poor, but why would you choose to eat catfish, which at best tastes of nothing? ..... At worst, I hear, ..... well, let's not go there!
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree that "rock salmon" is poor, but why would you choose to eat catfish, which at best tastes of nothing? ..... At worst, I hear, ..... well, let's not go there!
Catfish tastes of whatever grubby backwater you pull it out of.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Catfish really depends on the prep. Its certainly not my favorite, - like I said, its a "now and then" purchase, but it is perfectly acceptable if cooked properly. Son caught one a while back on a fishing trip and it was in the pan with some garlic, cilantro and chili within about 10 minutes of its last breath and it went great between two hunks of fresh bread. He pulled a couple of flounder out last weekend, and reckoned they were tasty too, though sadly I wasn't there so had to make do with pictures... Haven't had a flounder in many years....
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:25 pm

Catfish really depends on the prep. Its certainly not my favorite, - like I said, its a "now and then" purchase, but it is perfectly acceptable if cooked properly. Son caught one a while back on a fishing trip and it was in the pan with some garlic, cilantro and chili within about 10 minutes of its last breath and it went great between two hunks of fresh bread. He pulled a couple of flounder out last weekend, and reckoned they were tasty too, though sadly I wasn't there so had to make do with pictures... Haven't had a flounder in many years....
I've never tried Flounder. Do I want to?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
I've never tried Flounder. Do I want to?
Depends.
If your criteria is whether its gonna try to chase you down the street, then you're probably safe!
But given that our fish tastes are pretty close to diametrically opposite on most things, then maybe best leave it alone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.