Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

England too Expensive?

England too Expensive?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:18 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England too Expensive?

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
So they`re allowed to roam freely. Below pics show the diversity of the Redneck/Hillbilly race. Pic 1 your typical fun loving Redneck. Pic 2 Hillbilly father (on the left) with his 18 year old son (on the right) who was conceived after repeatedly shagging his first cousin.
I think he must of had his lugs pulled
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:24 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=750513

That might give you some ideas. I'd go along with the one in that which suggests the term redneck of being a culture/lifestyle.

I could differentiate the two, and believe me, the rednecks around here aren't suspicious of outsiders, they're in the cities and towns, and don't care who they mix with as long as there's a beer around.
a good reference and similiar to what I guessed, that a hillbilly is basically a simple person from a particular area whereas the redneck seems to be a term more generalised. Redneck by definition again seems similiar to what I said above but as you say, its also a lifestyle for many as well that organizes itself along macho principles such as little refinement, drinking beer, following sports all in a vociferous way etc, I kind of imagine that the suspicion of outsiders no longer exists, as there are so many strangers these days and they are there to stay. The term redneck for me, also conjures up images of somebody entering a bar and the whole bar coming to a standstill when a stranger walks in but then again that is in the movies and maybe not such a reality.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:25 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
I think he must of had his lugs pulled
Which one of the unfortunate trio?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:25 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I am guessing that a Redneck= A white predominantly rural working class person of little refinement and a suspicion of outsiders and they are based across north america but most notably in the southern states.

I am guessing a Hillbilly= Are mountain folk leading a more primitive life and far more isolated than their redneck neighbours hence the need to cuddle with whoever is close by.
This article by Walter Jowers (himself a redneck) might help clarify things.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
REDNECK.DOC (7.3 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 12th 2009 at 8:28 am.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:31 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by dunroving
This article by Walter Jowers (himself a redneck) might help clarify things.
A good insight and read
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:46 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

The term redneck for me, also conjures up images of somebody entering a bar and the whole bar coming to a standstill when a stranger walks in but then again that is in the movies and maybe not such a reality.
I've never had that experience here, wherever I've been into a bar, (I've visited more than a few) and I'm as English and "non redneck" as it gets, and the redneck guys will happily take up a conversation. Maybe if you were in some remote place in the very deep South... ? I dunno.
It's a culture and lifestyle rather than a particular place. We have a guy that lives on our street that has a big truck, loves running his ATV through the woods, drinks beer with his friends on the back porch and loves Nascar. He openly calls himself a redneck even though he's got a reasonable job and lives in a 400K home.
The only place I've ever had an experience like you mentioned was actually in Caernarfon, North Wales, everyone talking in English when we walked in, and as soon as I order a beer at the bar with my pretty obvious English accent, the conversaton of the guys at the bar suddenly changes into welsh, and the barmaid becomes distinctly unfriendly and uninterested. Morons.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:09 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by englishinfl
I've never had that experience here, wherever I've been into a bar, (I've visited more than a few) and I'm as English and "non redneck" as it gets, and the redneck guys will happily take up a conversation. Maybe if you were in some remote place in the very deep South... ? I dunno.
It's a culture and lifestyle rather than a particular place. We have a guy that lives on our street that has a big truck, loves running his ATV through the woods, drinks beer with his friends on the back porch and loves Nascar. He openly calls himself a redneck even though he's got a reasonable job and lives in a 400K home.
The only place I've ever had an experience like you mentioned was actually in Caernarfon, North Wales, everyone talking in English when we walked in, and as soon as I order a beer at the bar with my pretty obvious English accent, the conversaton of the guys at the bar suddenly changes into welsh, and the barmaid becomes distinctly unfriendly and uninterested. Morons.
I actually mentioned this on a thread many months ago about a trip I made to Wales with an English friend of mine many years ago. We went into a rural pub, he was ignored by the bar staff for being English but because they saw that I wasn`t English they were very communicative with me in the English language. When we left he didn`t use the term morons but something far stronger
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:28 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are so bad

Northern florida is not the worse place in the world.I couldn't live there but I'm sure a few British expats might love it New York city spoiled me. I find it tough to be too far away from a major city. I like the many options offered living near a large metropolitan. If I want a good cigar for example it's nice to go into a store that sells all the best brands.

If I wish to buy an out of town newspaper from a very small obscure city in America or a paper from Spain or the UK,a hugh city has several shops to supply my wish list.If I want to shop at a store that sells "nothing but belts" or nothing but shoes for men with hugh feet,a major city like Los Angeles,or New York can cater to my needs. I guess that explains the phrase I love New York
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:37 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

More photos of our redneck friends. Pic 1 is the loving wife of redneck pic 1 (see above thread) Pic 2 is their wholesome son Billy Jo. Pic 3 well this is home sweet home.
Attached Thumbnails England too Expensive?-redneck3.jpg   England too Expensive?-redneckson.jpg   England too Expensive?-redneckhouse.jpg  
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:41 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

You shouldn`t laugh at where they live because their neighbour Bobby Jo pic 4 lives in said abode pic 5.
Attached Thumbnails England too Expensive?-redneckneighbour.jpg   England too Expensive?-redneckhouse2.jpg  
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:47 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Even Billy Jo junior is not immune pic 6. Pic 7 the redneck map of the world......Gosh they haven`t even heard of Spain
Attached Thumbnails England too Expensive?-redneckm-ap.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:27 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn`t laugh at where they live because their neighbour Bobby Jo pic 4 lives in said abode pic 5.
can you imagine waking up to that
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:28 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Even Billy Jo junior is not immune pic 6. Pic 7 the redneck map of the world......Gosh they haven`t even heard of Spain
Jewels that is so funny
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:29 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

More photos of our redneck friends. Pic 1 is the loving wife of redneck pic 1 (see above thread) Pic 2 is their wholesome son Billy Jo. Pic 3 well this is home sweet home.
I wondered what those cups were for Well they certainly look like they eat well
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:52 am
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Originally Posted by juggla
We are a family of 5 living in Aus saving to move to England within 5 years. I keep reading that England is too expensive. We live in country Victoria about 2 hrs drive form Melbourne and we are planning to move to the same in England staying from large cities. I am unaware how the tax system works in Eng but here i pay around 15% tax as a sub contractor painter. We pay 10% GST on nearly everything we buy.

The Pound is now about half the Australian dollar and buy looking at rental prices, wages, food and elec/gas prices in Eng it is identical to what we are paying now

3 bedroom homes in our area around the $1000 pcm 500 Pounds
painter wagers $20-25 per hour 10 - 12.50 Pound
food $230 per week (5 people) 115 Pound
Utilities $200 per month 100 Pound

fuel is a lot cheaper as i pay 50c per litre on LPG

Is this sound right to anyone else

To live in St Kilda Melbourne 3 bedroom homes are being rented from $500 -1000 per week 250 - 500 Pounds per week
England, expensive? Yep.

Looking for a one-bed flat in London. The tinyest crud-hole is around 200 quid a week. Then there is the deposit on top (6 weeks), estate agent fees (75 quid), and 6 weeks rent on top.

Travel is 26quid a week into the CBD.

Food, fuhgetaboutit! A decent latte is £2.50. Beef sandwich from M&S, £3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.