Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:20 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

If I approached all the Brits around here, I'd never get anything accomplished!

Seriously, when I first moved here I did start to talk to Brits I met in bars and stuff. I made friends with a couple, but most didn't seem to want to know, so I largely gave up. If someone approaches me, though, I usually try and be friendly.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
LMAO I was in Stockton Walmart yesterday and have a private plate but it wasn't me..
LOL that place is so big I lost my husband and child for a good 20 minutes.
That place makes me cranky, I think it's the lighting or something.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:40 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Hey! Hey!...Dey don't do dat do dey .....visions of young Melly being surrounded by men with curly hair, moustache's and brightly coloured shell suits
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...usetrio203.jpg

Once ran into a lady working at the perfume counter at Bergners in Peoria ...she was from Stroud ....funny thing is she had a very posh accent whilst talking to Yanks and then it went all kind of west country whilst talking to me ....also met an Irishman in the local pub (go figure) had a few drinks and poked fun at the locals ....great guy ....
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:50 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

We get a lot of Brits here.

Last week I saw a little lad in the park with a Wales T-shirt on. I asked his mother if she was Welsh, she said no in a broad Welsh accent and explained she was raised in a Welsh family. She then chatted away to her son in a thick Welsh accent. I saw them again last week with her husband who was also Welsh. So either;

a) She was lying about being Welsh
b) She's adopted her husband's heavy Welsh accent

Very strange

I overheard a Scottish guy last week in the park. I just listened while he talked with another Scottish guy. Both were with their wives and they soon moved onto the subject of the olympics. Within a few sentences the American wife was loudly broadcasting that Scotland should have it's own country at the olympics. I just sat there waiting for the anti-English rant to start, but they soon left.

Ran into a girl from Sheffield at my local store. She was here to be a songwriter. She was nice.

That's all just within the last week. Invariably the conversation is. Where are you from? After I say Birmingham about 90% of British people shout " BEEEEEEEMINGUUUUUUUMMMMM!!" in a faux Brummie accent and think they are being funny and original. Which I find irritating for it's complete un-originality. Next comes the "How long have you been here then??" Kind of a challenge to say I've been here longer and therefore know more. Of course having been here 21 years I am now the smug one with the superior attitude

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Aug 29th 2008 at 8:54 am.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working at the pharmacy, someone at the drive thru actually phoned their Brit wife so she could speak to me on the phone, lol! and one of the pharmacists used to live in Sevenoaks, which wasn't far from my hometown.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart

That's all just within the last week. Invariably the conversation is. Where are you from? After I say Birmingham about 90% of British people shout " BEEEEEEEMINGUUUUUUUMMMMM!!" in a faux Brummie accent and think they are being funny and original. Which I find irritating for it's complete un-originality.
But it is funny. lol!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:31 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely not!.....some of the older ones have stun guns
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

I personally love bumping into Brits around here and trying to initiate conversation. That's probably because I get lonely and sometimes long to hear a british accent.

The first conversation I initiated was in Roanoke, Virginia. I was staying with my boyfriend (now hubby) and his family for the holidays and we ate at a chinese restaurant. We were seated next to a family and the mother sounded like she had a british accent. Eventually I just couldn't help myself, I had to ask and she responded well. We exchanged stories of how we ended up out here and it gave me a little boost for some reason.

I've also had other Brits approach me in one of my local bookstores, at the University (that was cool because we both worked there), and at a yard sale opposite a friends house. It's been a while since i've bumped into any Brits, but if I did I would definitly try and initiate conversation!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
If I approached all the Brits around here, I'd never get anything accomplished!

Seriously, when I first moved here I did start to talk to Brits I met in bars and stuff. I made friends with a couple, but most didn't seem to want to know, so I largely gave up. If someone approaches me, though, I usually try and be friendly.
An American mate of mine went to Florida on his hols once and visited a Dolphin show, The showmaster asked how many here are from NY state ? .. a few stood up, how many are from Germany ? ... a few stood up, ... How many Canadians ? ... a few stood up.... How many were from the UK ? And the whole damm stadium stood up
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
We get a lot of Brits here.

Last week I saw a little lad in the park with a Wales T-shirt on. I asked his mother if she was Welsh, she said no in a broad Welsh accent and explained she was raised in a Welsh family. She then chatted away to her son in a thick Welsh accent. I saw them again last week with her husband who was also Welsh. So either;

a) She was lying about being Welsh
b) She's adopted her husband's heavy Welsh accent

Very strange

I overheard a Scottish guy last week in the park. I just listened while he talked with another Scottish guy. Both were with their wives and they soon moved onto the subject of the olympics. Within a few sentences the American wife was loudly broadcasting that Scotland should have it's own country at the olympics. I just sat there waiting for the anti-English rant to start, but they soon left.

Ran into a girl from Sheffield at my local store. She was here to be a songwriter. She was nice.

That's all just within the last week. Invariably the conversation is. Where are you from? After I say Birmingham about 90% of British people shout " BEEEEEEEMINGUUUUUUUMMMMM!!" in a faux Brummie accent and think they are being funny and original. Which I find irritating for it's complete un-originality. Next comes the "How long have you been here then??" Kind of a challenge to say I've been here longer and therefore know more. Of course having been here 21 years I am now the smug one with the superior attitude
Yeah, but you're still from BEEEEEEEMINGUUUUUUUMMMM,

Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:23 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I'M the one who always points out Brits or people I think are Brits (by looks, not by voice) to the DH and he doesn't get excited.
It's so true that you can tell Brits by their looks! I can't quite put my finger on why though - is it dress sense - or is it peoples' faces? Maybe it's just intuition.

Mrs tonrob's German - and we can spot her fellow countrypeople a mile off too - even if their armpits are covered!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:59 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to hear a brit where I am, although the other day when I said 'I thought there would be loads of brits in Cincinnati', I was politely informed that 'You're not in Cincinnati, You're in hickville USA - we're not used to your type around here, get used to being a novelty'

USC hubby thinks neither me nor the kids look one bit american, and that we stand out like a sore thumb..... he puts it down to the fact that we are all natural blonde with green eyes and freckles, and I have to admit, most of the people round this way are dark hair and eyes, with the exception of the odd mid-brown and peroxide blonde (I can spot them a miles off ) so we do look different.

Although this may also be something to do with the fact that in this weather I sit out and worship the sun when everyone else is being sensible and sitting inside with the AC on!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:13 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Originally Posted by Leeds_Lass
. I always engage conversation in "so, what brought you here?" or the like.
sorry - I realize I am prob in the minority here, but you'd get an icy silence from me, I'm afraid. we may have something in common (with about 55m other people) but we're not friends and we're not gonna chat about my personal life in a professional context with co-workers around me.

I admit that this might sound quite unfriendly!

it's even worse when it comes from suppliers - it makes me much less likely to give them business. I don't want my nightmare colleague to make snotty suggestions of favoritism...
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:19 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I personally love bumping into Brits around here and trying to initiate conversation. That's probably because I get lonely and sometimes long to hear a british accent.
and then I read EB's post and felt like a bit of a tool for my attitude. OK, I'll try to tone down the snootiness and be a bit friendlier if I'm approached in the future. sorry!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:33 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

So I just took a drive from my garden to the beach. I stopped at a very busy crosswalk near the beach, there's lot's of bars, tourists, kids on skateboards, strollers etc. I wanted to take care that no one crossed at the green light before I made a right turn. Someone drove up behind me and laid heavily on their horn before I safely proceeded with my right turn.
After pulling next to me she wound her window down and an older lady in her mid 50's screamed out of her passenger window "Stop bloody posing" in an English accent. I guess because I was driving my convertible Jaguar. Ironically she was driving a newer ( and cheapo) X-type Jaguar.

Must be my week for meeting British arseholes.

I drove off before she detected my accent and screamed BEEEEEEMMINGHUUUUUUM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.