Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Wikiposts

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:54 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Originally Posted by paul_79
Similar thing happened to me when I was in San Diego for a couple of weeks last month. Didn't hear a single Brit accent until one of the last days when I overheard three, one at the beach, one at a mall and one at a bar. I did speak to the guy at the bar, just a 2 minute conversation whilst waiting to be served.

Reminds me of a story when my fiancee and I were in southern Italy in the middle of nowhere in a non-tourist area. We're sitting having a drink when a British couple in their 50s overhear my accent and decide to spend the next 10 minutes complaining to me about:

a) it being too hot
b) the crazy Italian drivers
c) the Italian food
and d) my personal favourite - "There's just too many bloody Italians!" FFS!!
what about the Italians ????

Agree totally they are completely irrational drivers ,,,,,,,,,,, but the food is good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't, because I can't be arsed or ain't all that interested, but I wouldn't mind if someone else did.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

nc-gremlin will become famous soon enough

The most often I run into (and avoid) fellow Brits are in fake Irish pubs. Most of the time they are pissed and obnoxious.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:12 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I won't stop them in the street, though I spot them, all the time. Especially tourists, you can tell by the matching tracksuits.

I find it really hard to smalltalk with Brits over here anyway. I rarely get past where I'm from, and 90% of the time, they all know where I'm from (Camden in London, almost everyone has a Camden Lock Market story), but I've never been to where they're from, especially if it's South London. So the conversation usually fizzles out really quick.

I've got nothing against Brits here, and do have a few British friends, but it's really difficult to find anyone I have anything in common with other than both of us having Coronation Street once.

Something else, too. Mrs Ski got a contract gig with a British publishing company here in NYC, and got to know a few of the Brits working there. We went out as a group a couple of times and that was fun, then we started hanging out with her boyfriends' gang, which was a large group of twentysomething Brits who worked for banks and some of them worked at the British Consulate. I tried my hardest to break into the clique they had set up, but it was nigh-on impossible, and I realized that they never invited us to anything they were doing, but we always invited them. So eventually I ended up giving up, not bothering to email them if we were going out, and we've drifted away from that group and now hang out with almost exclusively Americans, and I'm much happier.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:20 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nc-gremlin
The most often I run into (and avoid) fellow Brits are in fake Irish pubs. Most of the time they are pissed and obnoxious.
Well, you can't have bumped into me yet 'cos I don't go to Irish pubs.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

nc-gremlin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Well, you can't have bumped into me yet 'cos I don't go to Irish pubs.
I'm guessing you are in the Triangle. Did you ever go to "The Fox and Hound" (Edinburgh South Drive rather than the restaurant chain) in Cary before it became the Brazilian steak place? Best pint of London Pride in the state. Not that London Pride is that good mind you, it just seems ironic that I moved from London to NC and could still get that great indigestion causing beer. Can still get it at the Flying Saucer sometimes although my visits have sharply dropped off since the birth of my daughters.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:43 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Hi,

Today seemed to be a good day for meeting fellow brits. Normally I am lucky to meet 2 or 3 every week. However today there must have been something in the air as I saw 2 different people in different locations.

Firstly there was a lady making enquiries at reception at the place where I live. She was asking about costs and room sizes etc so nothing I could help with. In the end I didn’t speak to her. She probably didn’t even know I was also British.

Then later on in the afternoon I went to the library in downtown overheard a guy who was talking to one of his co-workers. He had a British accent and was giving her travel advice in England and Europe.

This got me thinking. Obviously in the above 2 situations I guess that it would have been inappropriate to barge in when these people were otherwise occupied and say “Hi, Are you British? Me to! Etc etc”

So do any people on here make an active gesture to try and say hello to a fellow brit? Or do you just smile and let them pass on by? What unusual experiences have people had?

Just a random post to concule a pretty random day in which I achieved nothing.
I love meeting British people, I miss the British accent...
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:39 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nc-gremlin
I'm guessing you are in the Triangle. Did you ever go to "The Fox and Hound" (Edinburgh South Drive rather than the restaurant chain) in Cary before it became the Brazilian steak place? Best pint of London Pride in the state. Not that London Pride is that good mind you, it just seems ironic that I moved from London to NC and could still get that great indigestion causing beer. Can still get it at the Flying Saucer sometimes although my visits have sharply dropped off since the birth of my daughters.
Yes, I did. Food was OK but the staff can't make a cup of tea! The water was not boiling hot.

The Flying Saucer's a bit out of the way for me but I did go there once. Just got back from the UK where I had my fill of draught pints, thank you.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:01 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It's unlikely that I will see a Brit in my neck of the woods, but thanks to this site, if I ever do I have a script ready. First, I will ask if they are from Australia. When they say they are actually from England, I will tell them that they are wrong. They will argue, I will concede, but say that Australia and England are basically the same anyway. I will then ask if England is close to London and if they have chatted with the Queen lately. Next, if they have attractive teeth, I will say they must have been here for a while in order to have had their teeth straightened and cleaned. If they have ugly teeth, I will just stare intently at their mouth and say "Yep..." with a slight nod of my head. After telling them how lucky they are to have made it over here, I'll see if my new friend wants to head to the bar for a Bud or two and a decent hamburger and fries, since I'm sure their sick of the warm beer and horrible food they had back in Aus... er, London.. Through the course of the conversation I will alternately tell them how cute their accent is and ask them to repeat themselves. I will of course speak slowly and deliberately, and at slightly higher than normal volume.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It's unlikely that I will see a Brit in my neck of the woods, but thanks to this site, if I ever do I have a script ready. First, I will ask if they are from Australia. When they say they are actually from England, I will tell them that they are wrong. They will argue, I will concede, but say that Australia and England are basically the same anyway. I will then ask if England is close to London and if they have chatted with the Queen lately. Next, if they have attractive teeth, I will say they must have been here for a while in order to have had their teeth straightened and cleaned. If they have ugly teeth, I will just stare intently at their mouth and say "Yep..." with a slight nod of my head. After telling them how lucky they are to have made it over here, I'll see if my new friend wants to head to the bar for a Bud or two and a decent hamburger and fries, since I'm sure their sick of the warm beer and horrible food they had back in Aus... er, London.. Through the course of the conversation I will alternately tell them how cute their accent is and ask them to repeat themselves. I will of course speak slowly and deliberately, and at slightly higher than normal volume.
you bugger.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:54 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
I love meeting British people, I miss the British accent...
just for you ....
Attached Files
File Type: wma
Untitled (2).wma (149.6 KB, 56 views)
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:54 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you warn them about the bread, bacon and sausages.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:58 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Hi,

Today seemed to be a good day for meeting fellow brits. Normally I am lucky to meet 2 or 3 every week. However today there must have been something in the air as I saw 2 different people in different locations.

Firstly there was a lady making enquiries at reception at the place where I live. She was asking about costs and room sizes etc so nothing I could help with. In the end I didn’t speak to her. She probably didn’t even know I was also British.

Then later on in the afternoon I went to the library in downtown overheard a guy who was talking to one of his co-workers. He had a British accent and was giving her travel advice in England and Europe.

This got me thinking. Obviously in the above 2 situations I guess that it would have been inappropriate to barge in when these people were otherwise occupied and say “Hi, Are you British? Me to! Etc etc”

So do any people on here make an active gesture to try and say hello to a fellow brit? Or do you just smile and let them pass on by? What unusual experiences have people had?

Just a random post to concule a pretty random day in which I achieved nothing.
DH (Brit) and I (Amer.) were in Chicago last month for a few days and ended up sitting next to another "mixed" couple at the bar of Hard Rock. THe Brit hubbies started chatting and then the wife and I started talking. It was actually quite nice, esp. for hubby because in our smaller town of 40,000 he doesn't meet many expats.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I don't make a point of saying anything unless they hear me and say hello...some people can be a bit strange like that,however,there was a Brit who used to work at the Opticians I used to go to,and we used to have every one in fits of giggles when they heard us chatting and gigling together every time I went in there,course, they couldn't understand a word we were saying! LOL....then there is a woman who works in a 'Fashion Bug' store I pop into occassionally,we always have a chat,and there's another who comes from Sheffield who works in Kmart,she heard me talking to the cashier and made a point of coming over to say hello,she's hardly got any of her accent left,although I could hear it in one or two words she said,mind you I haven't sen her in ages because I never go into Kmart,since I changed my pharmacy to Walmart...............Lauren,the one who worked at the Opticians,moved down to Florida.....it must be her fault that the hurricanes have really been hitting Florida since she moved there!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:28 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

thanks to this site, if I ever do I have a script ready...
ROFLMAO! (Although, to be fair, the teeth thing is quite accurate...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.