Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Originally Posted by nethead
It's taken her long enough to come to that conclusion.
Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Was she in prison? Because they all say it was a mistake.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

It's taken her long enough to come to that conclusion.
It only took me a few weeks...
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:27 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Well... you live in a place called Armpit. You should have moved to Paradise. It's two towns over.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Well... you live in a place called Armpit. You should have moved to Paradise. It's two towns over.
Yes, just after intercourse.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was over the Atlantic.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:30 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to a scouser at the phone at my old job. He's been here since 1964, but you'd never know it from his accent. He said he's move back in a heartbeat, but his children and grandchildren all lived here.
The missus spoke to a Brit on the phone once, and made his day when she told him she couldn't stand David Beckham. Apparently the bloke was a Man City supporter.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh is that a real place name? I always thought she was being rude
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh is that a real place name? I always thought she was being rude
Yeah I was being rude, it was a joke between me and Doris about who lived in the dullest place in PA. We decided I live in armpit PA, she lived in hmm can't remember if it was smelly armpit or hairy armpit PA.

But there is a place in PA called Paradise, also Intercourse, Blue Ball and a couple of otehrs I've forgotten.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah I was being rude, it was a joke between me and Doris about who lived in the dullest place in PA. We decided I live in armpit PA, she lived in hmm can't remember if it was smelly armpit or hairy armpit PA.

But there is a place in PA called Paradise, also Intercourse, Blue Ball and a couple of otehrs I've forgotten.
I've been to Intercourse I think - it's in Lancaster County isn't it?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I've been to Intercourse I think - it's in Lancaster County isn't it?
Yes, all those places are, they have a dirty sense of humour those Amish
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, all those places are, they have a dirty sense of humour those Amish
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:02 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US

Usually with a stun gun ...
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:08 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
Im not one for talking to random people in the street but I do find that when I wear my liverpool fc shirt all the brits come out of the woodwork and start chatting to me - )
Hey! Hey!...Dey don't do dat do dey .....visions of young Melly being surrounded by men with curly hair, moustache's and brightly coloured shell suits

Once ran into a lady working at the perfume counter at Bergners in Peoria ...she was from Stroud ....funny thing is she had a very posh accent whilst talking to Yanks and then it went all kind of west country whilst talking to me ....also met an Irishman in the local pub (go figure) had a few drinks and poked fun at the locals ....great guy ....
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:10 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Hi,

Today seemed to be a good day for meeting fellow brits. Normally I am lucky to meet 2 or 3 every week. However today there must have been something in the air as I saw 2 different people in different locations.

Firstly there was a lady making enquiries at reception at the place where I live. She was asking about costs and room sizes etc so nothing I could help with. In the end I didn’t speak to her. She probably didn’t even know I was also British.

Then later on in the afternoon I went to the library in downtown overheard a guy who was talking to one of his co-workers. He had a British accent and was giving her travel advice in England and Europe.

This got me thinking. Obviously in the above 2 situations I guess that it would have been inappropriate to barge in when these people were otherwise occupied and say “Hi, Are you British? Me to! Etc etc”

So do any people on here make an active gesture to try and say hello to a fellow brit? Or do you just smile and let them pass on by? What unusual experiences have people had?

Just a random post to concule a pretty random day in which I achieved nothing.

Yeh, I definately would (depending upon their demeanour and general vibe). I have met 2 really good friends in my home town this way.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:57 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Hi,

Today seemed to be a good day for meeting fellow brits. Normally I am lucky to meet 2 or 3 every week. However today there must have been something in the air as I saw 2 different people in different locations.

Firstly there was a lady making enquiries at reception at the place where I live. She was asking about costs and room sizes etc so nothing I could help with. In the end I didn’t speak to her. She probably didn’t even know I was also British.

Then later on in the afternoon I went to the library in downtown overheard a guy who was talking to one of his co-workers. He had a British accent and was giving her travel advice in England and Europe.

This got me thinking. Obviously in the above 2 situations I guess that it would have been inappropriate to barge in when these people were otherwise occupied and say “Hi, Are you British? Me to! Etc etc”

So do any people on here make an active gesture to try and say hello to a fellow brit? Or do you just smile and let them pass on by? What unusual experiences have people had?

Just a random post to concule a pretty random day in which I achieved nothing.
I would say hi, but normally the said brit is being a total wanker to someone and I feel like saying "why don't you piss off back home then?" You forget how much 'us' brits moan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.