Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:35 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you ever approach fellow British people in the US?

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
So I just took a drive from my garden to the beach. I stopped at a very busy crosswalk near the beach, there's lot's of bars, tourists, kids on skateboards, strollers etc. I wanted to take care that no one crossed at the green light before I made a right turn. Someone drove up behind me and laid heavily on their horn before I safely proceeded with my right turn.
After pulling next to me she wound her window down and an older lady in her mid 50's screamed out of her passenger window "Stop bloody posing" in an English accent. I guess because I was driving my convertible Jaguar. Ironically she was driving a newer ( and cheapo) X-type Jaguar.

Must be my week for meeting British arseholes.

I drove off before she detected my accent and screamed BEEEEEEMMINGHUUUUUUM
The X-Type is a Ford
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:44 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
The X-Type is a Ford
I didn't want to sound like a complete 'posing' Jaguar snob.

This was at Broadway/Ocean, really busy around there now, not sure how long you've been gone?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:53 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't want to sound like a complete 'posing' Jaguar snob.

This was at Broadway/Ocean, really busy around there now, not sure how long you've been gone?
I left in August of 2003 and drove my 2002 S-Type across the country. I thoroughly enjoyed that car but didn't have much cause for it in Maine. Being a Jag snob worked perfectly well in SoCal but didn't mean a damn thing to New Englanders and was completely impracticle in a Maine winter. Got rid of it and bought a Ford F150 super cab 4 x 4! Works much better in the snow
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:34 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

yes....but thats because I never shut up talking...

and to hear another english accent, well thats just like saying "talk as fast as you can in your mother tongue" because they'll understand me...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:31 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
I left in August of 2003 and drove my 2002 S-Type across the country. I thoroughly enjoyed that car but didn't have much cause for it in Maine. Being a Jag snob worked perfectly well in SoCal but didn't mean a damn thing to New Englanders and was completely impracticle in a Maine winter. Got rid of it and bought a Ford F150 super cab 4 x 4! Works much better in the snow
I heard the S-type was pretty much a Taurus modified chassis anyway, impossible to pose correctly in a Taurus
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
It's so true that you can tell Brits by their looks! I can't quite put my finger on why though - is it dress sense - or is it peoples' faces? Maybe it's just intuition.

Mrs tonrob's German - and we can spot her fellow countrypeople a mile off too - even if their armpits are covered!
LOL - I spend a lot of time in an area of Spain which attracts people from all over the world, not just Europe, and my favourite game is guessing the nationality. It's definitely about dress sense, rather than skin tone - although the Germans do seem to have their own special shade of sun tan brown!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:42 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by montgomail
LOL - I spend a lot of time in an area of Spain which attracts people from all over the world, not just Europe, and my favourite game is guessing the nationality. It's definitely about dress sense, rather than skin tone - although the Germans do seem to have their own special shade of sun tan brown!
Which part of Spain? We went to La Manga a lot when I was growing up.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
Which part of Spain? We went to La Manga a lot when I was growing up.
Denia which is in between Alicante and Valencia, probably about two/two and a half hours north of La Manga.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:42 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Denia which is in between Alicante and Valencia, probably about two/two and a half hours north of La Manga.
I used to work in Benidorm

And lived in southern spain Marbella about 20yrs ago
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I used to work in Benidorm

And lived in southern spain Marbella about 20yrs ago
Must have been an experience! Though there's good and bad in Benidorm, so I'm reliably told by members of the Spain forum.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 12:58 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Someone drove up behind me and laid heavily on their horn before I safely proceeded with my right turn
in an ideal world, a crowd would spontaneously drag that driver from their car and depants them. people who honk for no reason are the worst. they're such inconsiderate jerks.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
in an ideal world, a crowd would spontaneously drag that driver from their car and depants them. people who honk for no reason are the worst. they're such inconsiderate jerks.
You should have seen the mug on it. Like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle.................... of course I thought of that insult after she wound her window up, after she called me a poser :curse:
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Was just visiting my parents, who now spend their summers in Liguria - heavily populated by both Brits and Germans. Neither that difficult to spot!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 4:47 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear at least one British accent around 50% of the time that I am out. It's nice to hear and used to surprise me in the middle of Texas but not so much these days. I never approach them though, but a few come and say hi
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Hey! Hey!...Dey don't do dat do dey .....visions of young Melly being surrounded by men with curly hair, moustache's and brightly coloured shell suits
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...usetrio203.jpg

I'm sorry, I just have to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBYlXfjKru4

We live in the arse end of nowhere, but there's a National Monument in town and we do get tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.