Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

British bun in the oven

British bun in the oven

Old Aug 20th 2010, 2:51 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: British bun in the oven

Nice to hear that about the 3 month mark - hope the same is true for us! My parents, sister and best friend have been SO helpful. I guess I (wrongly) assumed the same about his mum...
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:55 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Just breezing in with a quick update. I came back to work yesterday which was hard, but she has daddy day care while I am working so that has made it a LOT easier on me. She is just over 3 months old and sleeps through the night for the most part (has been mostly since 6 weeks old!) and is generally a good baby.

And hubby's citizenship interview is set for Nov 17th which I am more excited about than he is (he dreads the civics test, LOL). Hope everyone here is doing well!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Just breezing in with a quick update. I came back to work yesterday which was hard, but she has daddy day care while I am working so that has made it a LOT easier on me. She is just over 3 months old and sleeps through the night for the most part (has been mostly since 6 weeks old!) and is generally a good baby.

And hubby's citizenship interview is set for Nov 17th which I am more excited about than he is (he dreads the civics test, LOL). Hope everyone here is doing well!

Sleeping through the night at 3 months is a very good thing, you are very lucky! Ours is 8 months old now (I can hardly believe it!) and for the most part sleeps through, but even now she'll wake up a few times, but mostly to have her nappy changed, for which I can hardly blame her!! She is at a fun stage right now though, starting to crawl (albeit backwards), feed herself those little stars and she even managed to say 'Da Da' the other week. I swear I heard her say 'Elmo' over the weekend as well.

Tell your husband he has nothing to worry about - the civics test is pretty easy. As long as he learns his book he should be fine.

How's his band doing these days as well?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:10 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Sleeping through the night at 3 months is a very good thing, you are very lucky! Ours is 8 months old now (I can hardly believe it!) and for the most part sleeps through, but even now she'll wake up a few times, but mostly to have her nappy changed, for which I can hardly blame her!! She is at a fun stage right now though, starting to crawl (albeit backwards), feed herself those little stars and she even managed to say 'Da Da' the other week. I swear I heard her say 'Elmo' over the weekend as well.

Tell your husband he has nothing to worry about - the civics test is pretty easy. As long as he learns his book he should be fine.

Ours is nine and a half months now, crawling, cruising (which apparently means he walks around using the furniture for support) also stands ups and pushes his toy box around the house. Have had the fun of baby proofing the house and watch him start the Roomba Vacuum then crawl to Mum or Dad for safety. Dogs are totally unconcerned as he crawls over the top of them to get where he wants.

Last edited by AZ_Alba; Oct 19th 2010 at 11:15 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:59 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my boys both slept through at about 17-18 weeks but my last (the daughter) took until about 13 months!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:16 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
Ours is nine and a half months now, crawling, cruising (which apparently means he walks around using the furniture for support) also stands ups and pushes his toy box around the house. Have had the fun of baby proofing the house and watch him start the Roomba Vacuum then crawl to Mum or Dad for safety. Dogs are totally unconcerned as he crawls over the top of them to get where he wants.
Sounds like fun . Our babysitter also minds a baby who is about the same age as yours, I think that is pushing our Sydney to want to learn everything quicker. According to the sitter, she only crawls forwards when the other baby is there, if not she goes backwards instead! I swear up and down she did say 'da da', 'elmo' and 'ba ba' all within the last week . . .

It's good your dogs don't mind getting crawled over, but I'm not sure how our cat is taking the discovery that the baby will be able to get around unaided soon. It is going to be an interesting few months.

On an off topic note - how are those Roombas, are they worth the money? Kmart had one on clearance for $75.00 and I was half tempted to pick it up but my wife just laughed at me . We ended up spending over $80.00 on a new upright hoover anyway . . .
Old Oct 20th 2010, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point

On an off topic note - how are those Roombas, are they worth the money? Kmart had one on clearance for $75.00 and I was half tempted to pick it up but my wife just laughed at me . We ended up spending over $80.00 on a new upright hoover anyway . . .
It is good at keeping the dog hair under control as we have lab/retriever mix who sheds like a snow storm. I got ours from Costco approx $250 a couple of years ago and it runs around everyday at noon getting under beds and other places the normal vacuum does not get. After two years I have just replaced the brush head assembly $43 which was just 9 screws. It does not replace the normal vacuum but does cut down on the need to manually vacuum as much.
I would not get the cheaper ones as they cannot be programmed/scheduled so as to run when you are out during the day and the filters are not as good.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:06 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like fun . Our babysitter also minds a baby who is about the same age as yours, I think that is pushing our Sydney to want to learn everything quicker. According to the sitter, she only crawls forwards when the other baby is there, if not she goes backwards instead! I swear up and down she did say 'da da', 'elmo' and 'ba ba' all within the last week . . .

It's good your dogs don't mind getting crawled over, but I'm not sure how our cat is taking the discovery that the baby will be able to get around unaided soon. It is going to be an interesting few months.

Are you doing sign language with your child?

Also how far have got with solids, we are just introducing meat
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:08 pm
I have a comma problem

Are you doing sign language with your child?
No, it hadn't occurred to me to try that. I'd end up confusing her though because I'd sign with a Belfast accent

Seriously though, I'd never heard of signing to babies before. Is it something I should try?
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:28 pm
Some Where in the Desert

No, it hadn't occurred to me to try that. I'd end up confusing her though because I'd sign with a Belfast accent

Seriously though, I'd never heard of signing to babies before. Is it something I should try?

They say it helps with communication, babies can apparently sign before they can speak and this is supposed to allow them to communicate more as toddlers supposedly reducing tantrums. I think that may be over selling but we see as time goes on.

http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/
http://www.babysignlanguage.com/

Of course it is American Sign Language so the accent may be off
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:45 pm
I have a comma problem

They say it helps with communication, babies can apparently sign before they can speak and this is supposed to allow them to communicate more as toddlers supposedly reducing tantrums. I think that may be over selling but we see as time goes on.

http://www.babies-and-sign-language.com/
http://www.babysignlanguage.com/

Of course it is American Sign Language so the accent may be off
Certainly a new one on me, but it can't hurt to try. I've noticed with ours that babies are definitely a lot smarter than they are given credit for.

That, of course, could me my influence. Not that I'm conceited or anything of course . . .
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty easy and helps for the basics, asking for milk, nappy change etc, prevents frustration.

Check out local library, they might have free classes, I know my old one did.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:11 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
It's pretty easy and helps for the basics, asking for milk, nappy change etc, prevents frustration.

Check out local library, they might have free classes, I know my old one did.
That would be handy, I live 1/2 a mile away from our library
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:49 pm
Instigator of the Post

Yeah - I can't believe she started sleeping through at 6 weeks old! Not a perfect science because she does wake some nights but that's more like what we expect.

That is SO cute about her crawling, feeding herself and ESPECIALLY the 'da da' part. You must be really enjoying all of that.

The band hubby was going to be in went belly up, unfortunately. Mainly because the lead singer's head grew about 10 sizes, LOL. So he's enjoying being a stay at home dad with a Nashville Predators hockey season ticket holder. I figure staying home with her all day rewards him hockey games every now and then! We'd have two tickets if we could afford it - and if we wanted to schlep a baby to 43 games a year (no thanks!).
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Yeah - I can't believe she started sleeping through at 6 weeks old! Not a perfect science because she does wake some nights but that's more like what we expect.

That is SO cute about her crawling, feeding herself and ESPECIALLY the 'da da' part. You must be really enjoying all of that.

The band hubby was going to be in went belly up, unfortunately. Mainly because the lead singer's head grew about 10 sizes, LOL. So he's enjoying being a stay at home dad with a Nashville Predators hockey season ticket holder. I figure staying home with her all day rewards him hockey games every now and then! We'd have two tickets if we could afford it - and if we wanted to schlep a baby to 43 games a year (no thanks!).
Cute doesn't begin to describe it, but it comes close . . .

Shame about the band - bloody singers and their egos, eh? I'm getting burnt out with mine too - but it is the audiences that are annoying me and not the members. Every time I have to look out at a see of drunks I think how I could be at home with Sydney instead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.