2020 Election

Old Oct 25th 2020, 3:05 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

I intended to vote tomorrow but got freed up earlier than anticipated so checked the early voting calendar and saw that closing time was 7pm today. Incidentally, our early-voting schedule is quite amazing. I'll go more into that if anybody feels pedantic but, as I've said before, Texas is a very efficiently run state in most ways.

I changed counties in 2019 so this is a new polling area for me. In early voting you can go to any of the (temporary) early voting locations within your county but on election day you have to go to your assigned precinct.

The closest place at the moment was a little municipal building that looked good from the outside. The parking lot was semi-full but it was a small parking lot. Good signage pointing where to go etc. It was a different machine than I've used before but pretty straight forward. I was in and out in probably about 10 minutes. Brisk but not crowded at all. No waiting even with distancing. Masks were required and everybody wore one.

Other than the masks, it was much like all of the other times I've voted early.

Done.

My brother, I don't think he'd mind me saying this because apparently he's been blasting it on facebook, voted the first day of early voting. He's definitely one who likes exciting spectacles and events --- the media was hyping it up so he wanted to be in on the shit that first day. He voted for Trump last time and regrets it. He texted me (with "I voted" selfies) and described it as very busy with 200 - 300 people going in and out.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 3:39 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This is a bit of a shocker! I really don't like Lou Dobbs, but it seems even he has some soul.

https://www.businessinsider.com/lou-...ection-2020-10

Fox host Lou Dobbs says 'I don't know why anyone' would vote for Sen. Lindsey Graham

Lindsey is the biggest queen in the Senate. Closeted queen and (not so closeted) drunk. It goes to show that if you put an (R) beside their name, in certain states, they'll be elected. What little gravitas he ever had, has now been stripped bare by Trump.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The glass of water comment, sadly true, seen both sides of that. Basically the primaries decide the victor.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 3:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We voted, second day of New York’s first ever early voting. (Until 2018 Albany was Republican dominated, so early voting and other sensible things to make folks’ lives easier were impossible.)

There’s only one early voting location in our county, New York’s largest county. So it would be a fifty mile journey for some people. But just five miles for us. We waited in line for an hour. I voted as always on the WFP line, I think I persuaded my wife to, also. (She’s usually a Democrat.)

This year, there are eight different parties. One is called the “Independence Party.” I believe they benefit because some people are confused, and think they are registered as “lndependent.” In fact, it’s a fringe party, not sure what they believe in, hopefully take a few votes away from Trump.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 7:22 pm
Account Closed

Does anybody believe that Biden will not win? Well think it is other than a remote possibility he will lose.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 8:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Does anybody believe that Biden will not win? Well think it is other than a remote possibility he will lose.
538’s current forecast is that Trump wins, in 12 out of 100 simulations. I wouldn’t call that a remote possibility.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The glass of water comment, sadly true, seen both sides of that. Basically the primaries decide the victor.
I really wish you'd provide context. I have NO IDEA what you are talking about.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 8:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I assume something to do with Trump needing two hands to hold a glass of water, whereas Biden does the job with one hand?
Old Oct 25th 2020, 8:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
538’s current forecast is that Trump wins, in 12 out of 100 simulations. I wouldn’t call that a remote possibility.

No, not nearly remote enough.

The fact that there are that many millions still willing to vote for him is more than a little worrying when assessing the state of the country.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 9:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
No, not nearly remote enough.

The fact that there are that many millions still willing to vote for him is more than a little worrying when assessing the state of the country.
Paulry has family in the US, that’s part of it right there.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 9:21 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy reading the voting anecdotes. I naturalized just over two years ago, so I voted in the midterms, the primaries for this year, and the general election just this week.

First time was on election day, at the local school: 10 minutes wait, half a block walk. Second time was in my neighbors' garage, on election day, not even a stones' throw from my house: no wait at all. This time I voted early, midweek in some sort of veterans' bar that was open late: no wait. Lots of Gadsden flags and pro-conservative paraphernalia, and just an official box on a counter with a zipper that you stuff your ballot in to. I opted-in to ballot tracking and received a text message to confirm my ballot has been received and counted.

I have to say, I love voting here. The system seems to work, there's a high degree of civic engagement with community members helping to make it possible, they make early voting easy, and I don't have to fret over whether my ballot has been missed or counted.

The only thing that pisses me off is watching news reports of people who have to stand in line for hours upon hours in order to cast their ballots; the one thing, regardless of party affiliation, that we should all agree on - make it easy for people to participate in democracy.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 9:25 pm
WTF?

Why do you ask? Do you think because people say negative things about Trump that they don't think he can win? Of course Trump can win, easily. If Trump wins, it won't change my opinion of him and it won't change my posts. I certainly HOPE Biden wins but that is not the same thing as BELIEVING he will win.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 9:42 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Leslie
Texas isn't a swing state. Never has been in the modern era.

But I'm glad you mentioned the whole "open things up" because it reminded me of a statement you made a few months ago (see below) about how covid affects children. You were asked some thoughtful and polite questions after this remark but you disappeared (maybe you had to go into quarantine?) so, now that you're back, I'd like to see your data on children and school re-openings. Thanks.

FWIW everybody wants to reopen. Texas is reopened and the numbers are shooting back up. It's everywhere again. Regardless, some of us never locked-down, we weren't given that option. We're all working but those of us who can't work from home are getting a little tired of dying so that you can have your precious economy. Why is it that those who are beating the "reopen" drum, never offer a plan on how to do it safely? The Trump plan of "learning to live with it" isn't working.
I must have missed it when BritNParis answered my questions.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Pelosi's comment about a glass of water would win in her district if it had a D on it.

Sorry thought that was well known.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
Thanks, off to have a look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.