2020 Election

Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2020 Election

Now the 2018 mid-terms are over, it's time to get ready for the big-one ... the 2020 Election, when Trump will be up for re-election.

I've been in shock / denial over Trump's victory ever since 2016, avoiding most political discussion but I'm desperately hoping that the Democrats can get their act together for 2020 and put up a candidate who can beat Trump (and strengthen their position in Congress). You'd think it wouldn't be that hard but the Democrats do seem to have the ability to shoot themselves in the foot, and Trump does seem to have a teflon coating of sorts.

If there's one thing I learned from 2016 it is not to underestimate Trump. If the economy is still strong, he can still win. Remember all the celebrities, 'experts', commentators, pollsters, and even BE folk, who refused to take Trump seriously?

In My Humble Opinion, in order to win in 2020 the Democrats must find a presidential candidate who is charismatic above all else. That is what Obama had going for him (and Bill Clinton) more than anything else. And by 'charisma' I include the ability to speak eloquently at length.

So without further ado, I will state my personal current hope that the Democratic candidate is Kamala Harris, the current Senator from CA. This article https://qz.com/1129587/democrats-can...aign-strategy/ suggests she has the right credentials. Maybe Joe Biden could pull it off ... though he's really too old at this point. I think Bernie would be a disaster; he has a certain 'authenticity', but he is never going to get the independents in my view. Beto O'Rourke? Maybe just a touch TOO inexperienced.

This article talks about Cory Booker, and also lists 10 possible candidates; Harris is #3 on their list, Booker #5. https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...and_other.html

Elizabeth Warren is #1 on the list above; she doesn't inspire me but hey, if she's the nominee then she'll get my vote.

On the republican side, Jeff Flake would actually be a welcomed participant ... https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...0-trump-980914 ... but his chances in the primaries would be slim, given his vocal opposition to Trump.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

I'll always give Obama credit for his ability to speak.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I like Kamala and would not be disappointed with her as a candidate. This election saw the largest turnout ever of milenials and young voters. Loads of first time voters as well. Who did they vote for on the Dem side? Not the older crew with very rare exception. They went younger and with a lot of women as well as racial diversity. That should be the message the Dems understand. Enough of the aged old folks. I like Joe, but hope he does not run. Bernie had his candidate fame and has fallen well behind in candidate polls. Clinton is hinting and should just go away. I want younger, progressive with ability and charisma. I do not mind Beto at all. He clearly is popular and knowledgeable and draws strong support. Sadly the primaries will likely see a huge list of candidates and a lot of damage will be done in the fight for the nomination. Some people need to accept they have no chance and stay out of it.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be nice to have a Native American contender.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I'll always give Obama credit for his ability to speak.
Gone but not forgotten !
Old Nov 12th 2018, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It would be nice to have a Native American contender.
So now you are going to troll this thread?
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dakota44
So now you are going to troll this thread?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-adviser-says

Article from yesterday about a potential runner.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ingles
Gone but not forgotten !
Your signature seems apt.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

If I were a betting man, I'd put a few bucks on Sen Amy Klobuchar of MN.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rpjs
If I were a betting man, I'd put a few bucks on Sen Amy Klobuchar of MN.
Now that makes more sense, Kamala is too far out there, well makes sense with her electorate but would not play well nationally.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-adviser-says

Article from yesterday about a potential runner.
I already read that, which is why I basically stated she should just go away.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dakota44
I already read that, which is why I basically stated she should just go away.
There is a Richard somebody who has just announced.

According to that article she has a 75% favourability rating.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

None of the current Democrat ‘front runners’ are going to get anywhere near Trump if they continue to let him control the political conversation whilst they pursue narrow identitarian politics. Whilst a successful economy is important to his political narrative if it starts to slide then the Democrats taking control of the House gives Trump a ready made excuse.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

It is the old dilemma of what you need to win locally vs what you need to do to win your Party nomination vs win Nationally.

More difficult to fudge in this era.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Now that makes more sense, Kamala is too far out there, well makes sense with her electorate but would not play well nationally.
Kamala Harris, "too far out there" ? I like her, but but any conventional measure she's conservative & establishment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.