2020 Election

Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2020 Election

The system has been robust enough thus far to withstand Trump. Yes he's bombastic, yes he's a racist and a narcissist, but other than the tax cut what has he actually done? Certainly nothing that has truly provoked a constitutional crisis. It seems he blusters and obfuscates, and then nothing happens.

I don't see that changing if he is defeated next November unless the Dems lose the house, which, I grant you, is a possibility. If that happens then all bets are off.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 2:49 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The system has been robust enough thus far to withstand Trump. Yes he's bombastic, yes he's a racist and a narcissist, but other than the tax cut what has he actually done? Certainly nothing that has truly provoked a constitutional crisis. It seems he blusters and obfuscates, and then nothing happens.

I don't see that changing if he is defeated next November unless the Dems lose the house, which, I grant you, is a possibility. If that happens then all bets are off.
The mistake is to ignore his bombast. I take him at his word, it's foolish not to. He has told us the election process is flawed, he doesn't respect term limits, he supports extra judicial killing. I am advocating vigilance against his word, a low cost strategy.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 3:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

But things do happen. The level to which he has taken the national dialogue alone has legitimized and stoked a series of appalling views on immigrants, women, people of colours other than white, Native Americans, disabled people, low-income people, and other countries as a whole. There is fall out from that.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

unless the Dems lose the house
Hopefully this happens...
Old Jul 17th 2019, 4:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
But things do happen. The level to which he has taken the national dialogue alone has legitimized and stoked a series of appalling views on immigrants, women, people of colours other than white, Native Americans, disabled people, low-income people, and other countries as a whole. There is fall out from that.
But he hasn't changed one single persons views. It's not like there are a bunch of people walking around saying 'well I was for immigration, but now that Trump says they are MS-13 I'm not'

The fact is that everyone on that side of the fence was on that side of the fence already, he's just saying it out loud and tacitly giving others permission to do the same. In some ways it's probably a good thing to get all the hate and vitriol of the right out into the open so that it can be swatted down again in time. It's not like it just went away, people just felt uncomfortable saying it loud but still thought it.

Hopefully this happens...
Wrong side of the House, and wrong party, but yes I agree otherwise
Old Jul 17th 2019, 4:52 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

. In some ways it's probably a good thing to get all the hate and vitriol of the right out into the open so that it can be swatted down again in time. It's not like it just went away, people just felt uncomfortable saying it loud but still thought it.
It has removed the mask, not just on today but the past as well. That in itself is not a bad result, it does let you see where we are, and I do think lessons will be learned.
Just one example I think is in policing, it is not just the increase in video that helps us identify that there is systematic problems within the police. We are seeing what the community is like from which the police is drawn, how can the police not have issues of policing equitably?
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone here been told to go back where they came from? I have a very few times. Mostly on my views on gun control, but generally quite the opposite, and more often told that I'm the kind of immigrant they want.Which is equally racist in a different way.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:08 pm
Often not so civil...

Yes I've been told that, not on gun control (since I own guns) but on the separation of church and state and abortion.

That's the bible belt for you.

Last edited by civilservant; Jul 17th 2019 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Never happened to me, certainly to my face anyway.

I also lean pretty far to the right so, probably helps...
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenK91
Never happened to me, certainly to my face anyway.

I also lean pretty far to the right so, probably helps...
We seem to be covering this on 2 threads, comes from both directions, one of Kamala Harris's tropes.

Kamala Harris: Trump needs to go back where he came from

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...h-ebof-vpx.cnn
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:28 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Has anyone here been told to go back where they came from? I have a very few times. Mostly on my views on gun control, but generally quite the opposite, and more often told that I'm the kind of immigrant they want.Which is equally racist in a different way.
I did in London.
"Coming down here taking our jobs....."
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
We seem to be covering this on 2 threads, comes from both directions, one of Kamala Harris's tropes.Kamala Harris: Trump needs to go back where he came from

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...h-ebof-vpx.cnn
The difference is one is a concerned citizen the other is a morally bankrupt individual, we can all make or own choice as to which one is which.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference is one is a concerned citizen the other is a morally bankrupt individual, we can all make or own choice as to which one is which.
As far as I am aware there is no distinction in law on the basis it is made, begs the question how would you define either term, I can see that being argued both ways.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I had people complaining about immigrants taking American jobs, and when I pointed out I was an immigrant taking an American job, I got the response along the lines of people like me were ok. Which I presumed meant white and speaking English as a first language.

I must admit, my experience of being “different” in a culture, albeit in a very minor way, and only when I opened my mouth to speak, left me with a deep feeling for those folk who are visibly “different”. Even when it’s well meaning and just folk being curious, it can be so damn tiring and draining to deal with. To have to live your life having to justify your very existence, fight for equality and in extreme cases fear for your life - in the country you where you were born and/or raised? I can’t conceive how people cope with that.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:52 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Boiler
As far as I am aware there is no distinction in law on the basis it is made, begs the question how would you define either term, I can see that being argued both ways.
The troll knows how it's different, if s/he bothered to read his/her own article. I am unsure if s/he read the article or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.