2016 Election

Old Dec 9th 2016, 7:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
Pence had been negotiating with Carrier/UTI with no success.
Yet mysteriously, by offering a package that was three times the size of the previous average, things changed.

Have you naive dupes figured out yet that Carrier didn't actually intend to move all of those people and was holding out for a better deal? It's a classic decoy strategy: Tell the other side that you want or will do X even if you don't intend to do it in order get what you really want.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Yet mysteriously, by offering a package that was three times the size of the previous average, things changed.

Have you naive dupes figured out yet that Carrier didn't actually intend to move all of those people and was holding out for a better deal? It's a classic decoy strategy: Tell the other side that you want or will do X even if you don't intend to do it in order get what you really want.
I think that, prior to Trump's election, Carrier did fully intend to move all of those people to Mexico. Politicians haven't traditionally inserted themselves into individual corporate decisions in the past, so I don't think there was a reasonable expectation of a 'better' deal had Clinton won, and even with tripling the tax break, it doesn't come close to the cost reduction that Carrier would have achieved by moving production.

As I've said before, I'm not a Trump supporter - I fully expect that UTI will change its bid for its defense contracts from say $6.5B to $7B, simply because they have the Carrier employees as 'hostages', and will make even more money off the 'deal'.

As the CEO of UTI has already said, the $7M tax break that they're getting from Indiana will be used to add even more automation to the facility, meaning workers whose jobs were 'saved' will soon lose them again.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:22 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I think that, prior to Trump's election, Carrier did fully intend to move all of those people to Mexico. Politicians haven't traditionally inserted themselves into individual corporate decisions in the past, so I don't think there was a reasonable expectation of a 'better' deal had Clinton won, and even with tripling the tax break, it doesn't come close to the cost reduction that Carrier would have achieved by moving production.

As I've said before, I'm not a Trump supporter - I fully expect that UTI will change its bid for its defense contracts from say $6.5B to $7B, simply because they have the Carrier employees as 'hostages', and will make even more money off the 'deal'.

As the CEO of UTI has already said, the $7M tax break that they're getting from Indiana will be used to add even more automation to the facility, meaning workers whose jobs were 'saved' will soon lose them again.
Moving can be disruptive to production quantity and quality. It is foolish to presume that moving comes without a cost or that there aren't other considerations in shifting production to new facilities.

It is simply a fact that Carrier has received Indiana subsidies before, and that this package is substantially larger than the last one that it received.

And it didn't come from Trump. Trump has no authority over how Indiana provides incentives. The reason that Trump is focusing on Indiana is because his VP is Indiana's governor and was already working on this before he became the VP nominee.

Trump is taking credit for work done by someone else, using benefits that were not Trump's to give, and you are naively eating it up.

Here's a prediction: Carrier will either eventually move all of those jobs to Mexico after it feels confident that the Mexican facility can perform as it needs to, or else it will go back to the trough in a few years to get more stuff. This is how business operates.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Dec 9th 2016 at 8:24 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Trump is taking credit for work done by someone else, using benefits that were not Trump's to give, and you are naively eating it up.
Wait - why do you think that I'm 'eating it up' and being naive? My position is that UTI is just using the promise of the tax breaks as an excuse, and that Trump's 'deal' with Carrier will simply allow UTI to pad their defense contracts at the government's (and taxpayer's) expense.

We just seem to have different ways of how the corporations are going to make money off this 'deal' that's all.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
I would not have been up in arms if Obama had been able to do what Trump did, as my concern was with the 1100 families whose jobs were saved. You made an unwarranted assumption. I still maintain that the $700.00 per job per year ($58.33 per month for each employee) would not have been sufficient to reverse Carrier's decision.
Something of an assumption there that those 800 jobs will remain for ten years. My bet is that many, perhaps most, will disappear over that time period either by being moved to Mexico or through automation. Carrier committed to keeping its factory open, not to keeping a specific number of employees there over time.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite curious to see Trump's reaction if/when he tries to enact a 35% tariff, as he will need Congressional approval, and there will likely be enough Republicans opposed to such a measure that it will fail to pass.
He will never get that past Congress. Biggest reason...Boeing. Americas largest exporter by far. China is looking to buy about 6,000 planes over the next decades. They have already suggested that in the face of a tarriff war Boeing would be out...leaving Airbus to profit...sending Boeing into a tailspin and costing many thousands of jobs. Boeing is currently building a number of planes for various Chinese airlines with a lot more planned in the pipeline. Idiot Trump has no clue the damage a trade war would do to the U.S He needs to study a little more history.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:18 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
Analysis of the Time Trump cover pic
Originally Posted by kimilseung
There is a scene in The Talented Mr Ripley, when one of the uber rich guys enter Ripley's apartment and decry it with the one word "beourgeoise".
I am reminded of it every time I see Trump's homes.
I bet it's not the least bit comfortable on top of looking like complete and utter poo.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:47 am
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Something of an assumption there that those 800 jobs will remain for ten years. My bet is that many, perhaps most, will disappear over that time period either by being moved to Mexico or through automation. Carrier committed to keeping its factory open, not to keeping a specific number of employees there over time.
In the past, Indiana has used incentives to create jobs.

This time, it is providing incentives to a company that will be cutting jobs.

That's the art of the deal. UTC/Carrier did well for itself.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Rather expected this.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.0fd4c7e87aeb
Old Dec 10th 2016, 7:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
And Trump's reaction is to trash the CIA! Does this man realise that, in a few weeks time, he's supposed to step up and be President of the United States?
Old Dec 10th 2016, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Or maybe it did, given that San Francisco has consistently had an unemployment rate markedly below the national average (currently 3.3%)? The payroll tax did get converted into a gross receipts tax a couple of years ago, and I believe it's the only US city with such a tax. It also has a stronger mandate to provide health insurance than the ACA.
I would serious doubt that having higher taxes and regulations is what reduces the unemployment rate. I know the payroll tax definitely was a negative for two large San Francisco employers I worked for. They both tried to explain it to city officials who couldn't grasp that a lot of administrative and clerical staff could easily be transferred.

Haven't been back for a while, but I would suspect tourism and IT sector more important in propelling job growth there. Someone mentioned to me a while back the Mission district now has lots of start ups.

If I recall didn't San Francisco have something like 10 vice mayors ? When I was there it was a pretty corrupt city administration- names like Feinstein and her husband, Shorenstein, Willie Brown, all come to mind.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dakota44
He will never get that past Congress. Biggest reason...Boeing. Americas largest exporter by far. China is looking to buy about 6,000 planes over the next decades. They have already suggested that in the face of a tarriff war Boeing would be out...leaving Airbus to profit...sending Boeing into a tailspin and costing many thousands of jobs. Boeing is currently building a number of planes for various Chinese airlines with a lot more planned in the pipeline. Idiot Trump has no clue the damage a trade war would do to the U.S He needs to study a little more history.
Of course I expect that Congress will never pass it - but I'm curious to see Trump's reaction when he sees that members of the party that he ostensibly leads oppose him.

Should there be an escalating trade war with China, I would almost expect that the Chinese would initially target US exports that are made in states that voted for Trump, as they potentially would carry more impact on Republican lawmakers (but who knows). They may not initially target products made in Democratic-led states as that may not dissuade Republican lawmakers.

Post-election, GM has announced that they're going to export the Silverado and Colorado trucks to China. The Silverado is made in Flint, Michigan and Fort Wayne Indiana, and the Colorado is made in Wentzville Missouri (all Trump states).

China could also claim that with the reduction of regulations that Trump has promised that it is no longer confident about the food safety of certain US agricultural exports. Soybeans, grains, meat products, and cotton all are at the top of the agricultural export list to China. All have significant production in Republican-won states. Agricultural exports accounted for $20B in 2015.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
And Trump's reaction is to trash the CIA! Does this man realise that, in a few weeks time, he's supposed to step up and be President of the United States?
Of course he trashed the CIA - to agree that the Russians may have had some involvement in the election (whether they helped him or not) would mean that he may not be legitimate. It would be a blow to his narcissistic ego. For those that believe that Breitbart is 'fairer' than the lying main stream media, Breitbart is dismissing the CIA report as a left-wing conspiracy designed to discredit Trump (and it's buried after articles about allegations that MSNBC reporters made up information)

I think that one of the reasons that he's appointing so many CEO's to his cabinet is that it makes him feel good - that people whom he feels are so successful (and face it, the CEOs of Goldman-Sachs and Exxon are more successful than Donald) are now reporting to him.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I would serious doubt that having higher taxes and regulations is what reduces the unemployment rate. I know the payroll tax definitely was a negative for two large San Francisco employers I worked for. They both tried to explain it to city officials who couldn't grasp that a lot of administrative and clerical staff could easily be transferred.

Haven't been back for a while, but I would suspect tourism and IT sector more important in propelling job growth there. Someone mentioned to me a while back the Mission district now has lots of start ups.
My point is that despite these taxes and mandates, San Francisco consistently has a lower than average unemployment rate. Most economists consider a rate of just over 3% to be essentially full employment. Yes, many startups are flocking to San Francisco. So your anecdote is essentially... irrelevant to the bigger picture.

Originally Posted by morpeth
If I recall didn't San Francisco have something like 10 vice mayors ? When I was there it was a pretty corrupt city administration- names like Feinstein and her husband, Shorenstein, Willie Brown, all come to mind.
San Francisco doesn't have a vice mayor. Neither Douglas Shorenstein or his father was mayor or on the board of supervisors. Feinstein's husband is Richard Blum. So wrong on every count.. well done! And pretty hilarious how you pivoted from taxes to "they were corrupt".

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 10th 2016 at 5:26 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 5:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Trump never hid who he was.

Trump implored the Russians, from the podium, to hack Hillary and find the 'missing emails'. Putin has been grooming Trump, like a pedophile priest with his new favorite alter boy, at least since Trump entered the race if not for longer.

I have long wondered what the Russians have on Trump, Comey and the RNC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.