Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Wikiposts

A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:28 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

If you wanted to be helpful you could go back to the OP's first post and give some advice instead of stirring it up
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

EmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If you wanted to be helpful you could go back to the OP's first post and give some advice instead of stirring it up

Sais the one that started the stir up in the first place! ... lol
Old Apr 12th 2012, 2:46 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

well I can't do that - Rule 15
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:20 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
well I can't do that - Rule 15
I was refering to Denise....has she been warned as well
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes the 60s were more about the marketing and consumerisation of "cool" to young people than any real social or political youth movement

The proof of the pudding is that the baby boomer generation who were teens in the 60s became the most materially obsessed generation of any that preceeded them

What a shame when the aftermath of WWII promised a fairer and brighter future
That statement just goes to prove that you were not there in the sixties!

There was in fact much social change (especially for women) brought about by some of those that were.
For the first time women were no longer the chattel of their husbands and could choose when or indeed if they wanted motherhood, they could choose if they would rather do so to make their way in the previously mans world of work.

It took until the seventies for equal pay to be brought in and into the eighties before a wife no longer had to have her husbands permission to hold a credit card or take out a loan, perhaps small insignificant change to you at your age... but life changing for us baby boomers!

As for being materially obsessed, baby boomers grew up in a post war world where there wasn't that much to be materialistic about, it's the youth of today who hold that title and who have created the throw away society we now live in, we never had the cash back then to be able to do that!

Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet

As for being materially obsessed, baby boomers grew up in a post war world where there wasn't that much to be materialistic about, it's the youth of today who hold that title and who have created the throw away society we now live in, we never had the cash back then to be able to do that!

Surely the "youth" havent had time to create anything yet? Unless they rule the government, business and media companies from their bedrooms?

The youth of today are excellent consumers, I give them that. And I dont see any ideas from them. The word "sheeple" comes to mind. A domesticated generation. Interesting, since the boomers decided they would prefer to domesticate their children rather than nurture them

It is the so-called "love and peace" generation that created the dirty great pyrimid scheme that is modern "liberal" capitalism as we know it

All that debt which our countries have has been spent by the boomers. Basically that generation have already spent their childrens and grandchildrens money. We will be paying off your debts for the next 50 years or more and for that reason our lives will be much worse than yours

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 12th 2012 at 3:35 am.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I was refering to Denise....has she been warned as well
Thanks for the warning Cheers
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Well said Emily put them in their place,they are just being very bad mannered.
I'm with you on this.
Here we have a young girl trying to better herself and all she gets is flak for bad spelling etc. and being prepared to stand up for herself.
She clearly has/is having a hard time financially and all some of you can do is have a go at her.
As an older poster (60) when I was Emilys age jobs were plentiful. I believe things are much tougher now if you have not had the benefit of a good education and financial support from your family. Even then jobs are not guaranteed.
You should give the girl a break for having aspirations.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:05 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The sixties were a revolution after the staid post-war years and most of us are proud of a lot of new freedoms from that time.

But fast-forward to the OPs time. Men are walking down the aisle with men, and the cabinet has several gay MPs. The sky is littered with satellites and you can text someone on your mobile, and ruin marriages with an indiscreet posting on face book.

You can read thousands of books on your Kindle, wherever you are in the world, and with a big enough satellite dish watch a football match anywhere.

So aren't the noughties even more revolutionary than the sixties?

(And the OP is likely to live to a hundred, very few of us will).
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Surely the "youth" havent had time to create anything yet? Unless they rule the government, business and media companies from their bedrooms?

The youth of today are excellent consumers, I give them that. And I dont see any ideas from them. The word "sheeple" comes to mind. A domesticated generation. Interesting, since the boomers decided they would prefer to domesticate their children rather than nurture them

It is the so-called "love and peace" generation that created the dirty great pyrimid scheme that is modern "liberal" capitalism as we know it

All that debt which our countries have has been spent by the boomers. Basically that generation have already spent their childrens and grandchildrens money. We will be paying off your debts for the next 50 years or more and for that reason our lives will be much worse than yours
The world debt wasn't created in the sixties so don't try to blame us old farts for it.
That generation as you put it is the one that worked it's backside off to give the following generations more than they had themselves or could ever have dreamed of having!
It's the same generation that is now quite often helping less fortunate younger members of their families who are going through hard times with handouts from their own hard earned savings.

If you want to blame someone for the world debts then look nearer to your own age group, they are the ones who had it all....and spent it!
Look at the benefits culture that has grown up over the last decade, it's not the boomers who have made a career out of what they could get from the state without contributing anything to it in the first place.

I feel sorry for the young starting out now, yes they are going to have a hard time, but hard times now are not as hard as previous generations had it, despite what you may think!
Real hard times were had by those in the thirties.....hunger is having a hard time...it's not the fact that you can't afford the latest smart phone or over sized TV, and it's not that you can't have a new car parked on the drive of your detached house plus two foreign holidays a year to exotic places!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:17 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I'm with you on this.
Here we have a young girl trying to better herself and all she gets is flak for bad spelling etc. and being prepared to stand up for herself.
She clearly has/is having a hard time financially and all some of you can do is have a go at her.
As an older poster (60) when I was Emilys age jobs were plentiful. I believe things are much tougher now if you have not had the benefit of a good education and financial support from your family. Even then jobs are not guaranteed.
The problem about spelling is quite a valid one.

I think I would have more in common with the OP than most, due to the fact that I was also a child taken out of school at a young age 7, I had to learn a new language and make my way in an alien world too.

There is a big advantage if you can become bi-lingual, that is become fluent in all aspects of both languages including writing.

Sadly if you dont continue study both languages, the new one and the old, you then have the situation where you are not up to scratch in either language.

My daughter grew up in the UK speaking Spanish, both me and my wife are both full Spanish blood, although she was born in the UK.but still had to study Spanish.

She was once asked by and emplyment agency to vet Spanish speakers for positions in call a centre.

The postitons required a good level of Spanish and English both written and spoken, she had to speak to the candidates for the job over the phone, and read a email too, describing what they thought good customer service was.

There were over 100 applicants for the jobs, as the pay was goodish, there was a mixture of Spanish and English people, some Spanish who had lived in the UK for years, wanting to get out of the catering game, decided to give it a go, the level of Spanish was not good enough, not to mention bad English, or English not up to the required level is a bitter way of putting it.

The same happend with English applicants, who had lived in Spain for years, their level of both languages was prety grim.

I remember because it took a week to find the right people for the jobs, and it was so bad for her that she could not carry on interviewing because she was upset at having to judge people and decide if they should go for further interviews for the jobs on offer.

She stuck it for 2 days, then gave up as it was stressfull.

A cousin of mine took over the interviews and being as hard hearted as she is had no bother telling them it was rubbish.

I have never been after any job where a second language was useful or needed, but the days of knowing enough to get by and a bit extra, are long gone, employers expect a high gramatical standard.

In fact so much so, I would probably fall down at the first hurdle, as the excuse that you left your home country when you were a child and cant remember where the accents go, for example, would not wash.

It might have done 20 years ago, but now there are so many well equipped second language speakers that the competition is fierce.
One has to be realistic.

Last edited by JLFS; Apr 12th 2012 at 4:21 am.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JLFS
The problem about spelling is quite a valid one.

I think I would have more in common with the OP than most, due to the fact that I was also a child taken out of school at a young age 7, I had to learn a new language and make my way in an alien world too.

There is a big advantage if you can become bi-lingual, that is become fluent in all aspects of both languages including writing.

Sadly if you dont continue study both languages, the new one and the old, you then have the situation where you are not up to scratch in either language.

My daughter grew up in the UK speaking Spanish, both me and my wife are both full Spanish blood, although she was born in the UK.but still had to study Spanish.

She was once asked by and emplyment agency to vet Spanish speakers for positions in call a centre.

The postitons required a good level of Spanish and English both written and spoken, she had to speak to the candidates for the job over the phone, and read a email too, describing what they thought good customer service was.

There were over 100 applicants for the jobs, as the pay was goodish, there was a mixture of Spanish and English people, some Spanish who had lived in the UK for years, wanting to get out of the catering game, decided to give it a go, the level of Spanish was not good enough, not to mention bad English, or English not up to the required level is a bitter way of putting it.

The same happend with English applicants, who had lived in Spain for years, their level of both languages was prety grim.

I remember because it took a week to find the right people for the jobs, and it was so bad for her that she could not carry on interviewing because she was upset at having to judge people and decide if they should go for further interviews for the jobs on offer.

She stuck it for 2 days, then gave up as it was stressfull.

A cousin of mine took over the interviews and being as hard hearted as she is had no bother telling them it was rubbish.

I have never been after any job where a second language was useful or needed, but the days of knowing enough to get by and a bit extra, are long gone, employers expect a high gramatical standard.

In fact so much so, I would probably fall down at the first hurdle, as the excuse that you left your home country when you were a child and cant remember where the accents go, for example, would not wash.

It might have done 20 years ago, but now there are so many well equipped second language speakers that the competition is fierce.
One has to be realistic.

An excellent post JL.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

EmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HBG
The sixties were a revolution after the staid post-war years and most of us are proud of a lot of new freedoms from that time.

But fast-forward to the OPs time. Men are walking down the aisle with men, and the cabinet has several gay MPs. The sky is littered with satellites and you can text someone on your mobile, and ruin marriages with an indiscreet posting on face book.

You can read thousands of books on your Kindle, wherever you are in the world, and with a big enough satellite dish watch a football match anywhere.

So aren't the noughties even more revolutionary than the sixties?

(And the OP is likely to live to a hundred, very few of us will).

Good one!, We will soon have chips inserted in our brains at birth so we can be tracked, controlled and brain washed by the Gov too
We have no hope on stepping on the ladder unless we inherit enough after tax, and youngsters today seem to have little morals and family values. Or even care about looking after a job, or even your partner, Luckily enough I have found a man that wants to settle down, marriage, kids, a house and a normal simple life and is happy to live like that forever like me, and doesn't post our entire lives on Facebook.
But how many teenage singles mum are there out there that just have a kid to get a income of the Gov, Have a kid with one dude, then another with another... and another... and another.... Thats todays generation, kids having sex far to young because all this Tec makes it easier to introduce sex. Many of my friends already have kids! Some are now reaching 4 - 5 years old.Many are dependant on a computer, I know I am.. and I think its sad.
When I look at my Nan's life who has just turned 93 She held a job for 30 years! We wont get that, our generation will go from job to job...
Its true that most of us have no hope as some posters have mentioned before. We are the lost generation as many have called us... But it gives us kids no reason to not stand up to it and fight for our lives and fight to have a better future!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I'm with you on this.

THANK YOU!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmilyPenguin
Good one!, We will soon have chips inserted in our brains at birth so we can be tracked, controlled and brain washed by the Gov too
We have no hope on stepping on the ladder unless we inherit enough after tax, and youngsters today seem to have little morals and family values. Or even care about looking after a job, or even your partner, Luckily enough I have found a man that wants to settle down, marriage, kids, a house and a normal simple life and is happy to live like that forever like me, and doesn't post our entire lives on Facebook.
But how many teenage singles mum are there out there that just have a kid to get a income of the Gov, Have a kid with one dude, then another with another... and another... and another.... Thats todays generation, kids having sex far to young because all this Tec makes it easier to introduce sex. Many of my friends already have kids! Some are now reaching 4 - 5 years old.Many are dependant on a computer, I know I am.. and I think its sad.
When I look at my Nan's life who has just turned 93 She held a job for 30 years! We wont get that, our generation will go from job to job...
Its true that most of us have no hope as some posters have mentioned before. We are the lost generation as many have called us... But it gives us kids no reason to not stand up to it and fight for our lives and fight to have a better future!
Emily, I really hope you get a break because it's true that things are so much harder for your generation now. When I was your age jobs were plentiful and mortgages, although the interest rate was high, were easier to get and house prices not so astronomical as they are now. I have two stepchildren in their '30s in the UK who, although they are both lucky enough to have jobs, are still living in rented accommodation with no prospect of saving enough for a deposit to buy a house, nor are their wages high enough to be able to afford a mortgage. As to whose fault it is that the world is in such a mess, I'm not sure that I would blame the entire 'baby boomer' generation as by and large we did work hard for what we have, I just think the whole world is now one casino economy controlled by faceless, unelected people who are making millions out of gambling with other people's money, and they are never the ones who lose out when their bets don't pay off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.