Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

EmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to all
Wink A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Hello

Im Emily, Im new to this forum and have joined for a bit of advice from fellow Expats

I live in Estepona, south spain and have done since I was 9, (im now turning 21) and me and my partner Sam (25) are looking into moving out of our parents homes and stepping on that daunting property lader. Of course we are both looking to work, and open to live anywhere, Im currently in Murcia! were his parents live, and we go back and forth spending 2 weeks here and 2 weeks there, We thought about Gibraltar, as Sam dosent speak good Spanish. But renting out a property is so expencive there, plus there are not many jobs, We have serched for hours and hours online, but its mainly all for mangering jobs, Tecs, and online developers. Even living in La Linea, I have heard its not that safe,... and it looks grotty... and I dont have a car so it would have to be right near the border, ...

We are a young couple and allthough we have good work expirence in diffrent fields we just arnt qualifyed enough for applying for most of the jobs they are offering, We have spent sevral days looking around with the idea that this could be home in mind, But when we went looking around estate agents, it wsa daunting the idea of if one of us lost a job, or something happend, we couldnt afford the high rental prices. ..

So we look in Murcia, but its dead up here... We are in Caravaca, we have been to Lorca, and Murcia's 2 main comercial centers.. But NADA! Not a job in site.. hours of applying for jobs online,... but we are still left with the problem of.. Sam not speaking enough Spainsh He has tryed hard to find a job up here for years...

So our next thought is Granada... mid way
between our parents, as we are both are very family orientated and hate being away from our home comforts and mummy food! .. But other then its a university city and you can buy a beer and get a free tapas. I dont know much about it.. Is there alot of English there?, Would there be work for my Boyfriend? (He is a great builder! hehe) and how good is life?...

We are looking to settle down somwhere, call it home and start our own family eventualy.

So if anyone can give us some adivce on were would be the best place to set some roots down as a young first time couple. It would be appriciated!

Thank you for reading and taking the time to awnser

Emily and Sam
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Sorry Emily but I dont think it will be any better werever you go, not too many Brits in Granada, a few yes and one or two from the forum.Granada is lovle but honestly cannot imagine work will be any easier to find, you say Sam cannot speak much Spanish that will go against him as I am sure you must know that unemployment is so very high in Spain.

I wish you luck but it is hard out there for everyone needing work.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Emily you need specific skills and the language these days. The only people who don't need to speak Spanish are those who can afford to retire and can pick the level of interaction with the locals they choose.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

EmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Sorry Emily you need specific skills and the language these days. The only people who don't need to speak Spanish are those who can afford to retire and can pick the level of interaction with the locals they choose.
Yeah, I was lucky enough to come at a early age, But Sam came so much older and didnt have the luck of learning like I did, Its so difficult.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pwwm
Sorry Emily but I dont think it will be any better werever you go, not too many Brits in Granada, a few yes and one or two from the forum.Granada is lovle but honestly cannot imagine work will be any easier to find, you say Sam cannot speak much Spanish that will go against him as I am sure you must know that unemployment is so very high in Spain.

I wish you luck but it is hard out there for everyone needing work.
Haha Thanks, I think we might struggle along with Gibraltar, and looking for online work at home.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:50 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in spain since you were 9, I would have thought you would know the employment situation far better than most on this forum.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

yes yew cud always trie Gibraltar They are luking for talentad people
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: A young couple, stepping on the dreaded lader!

Originally Posted by missile
Having lived in spain since you were 9, I would have thought you would know the employment situation far better than most on this forum.
Oh yes, I know it well, but it really wasnt the employment I was asking about.. Its the recomended place to live..

Employment is everywhere.. you just have to seek it out, I have applyed for 30 jobs in the past 4 days.... Yes its harder then years ago.. But its still doable, the amount of jobs that are online, at home.., and advertised... Im determined enough to get a job..
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:22 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmilyPenguin
Oh yes, I know it well, but it really wasnt the employment I was asking about.. Its the recomended place to live..

Employment is everywhere.. you just have to seek it out, I have applyed for 30 jobs in the past 4 days.... Yes its harder then years ago.. But its still doable, the amount of jobs that are online, at home.., and advertised... Im determined enough to get a job..
If you can get jobs online, why dont you stay in the area you live now? you already know the place, have friends and family.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:24 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
yes yew cud always trie Gibraltar They are luking for talentad people
You dont take any prisioners do you?
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:40 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
You dont take any prisioners do you?
Talk about taking the p!ss.
I don't think diplomacy is her fuerte somehow.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Talk about taking the p!ss.
I don't think diplomacy is her fuerte somehow.
I dont get it.................
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:55 pm
Banned

What, not even on a GOOD Friday?

Change of jockey required?
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:04 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry about it Emily
Nothing to do with your thread
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

I think Ill just fizzle out of this coversation now.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.