Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why did you move

Why did you move

Old Feb 6th 2006, 9:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move

Well firstly, unless you live in the cities or main tourist areas I don't think Spain is as high cost as living in the UK. In fact I'd say it was significantly lower. I have seen quite a few instances of people saying they live easily on £10k a year in rural areas. In our area certainly food is cheap (and theres more choice and its fresher than in the UK), petrol is obviously cheaper. My experience is that white goods can be more expensive, indeed I shipped my washing machine from the UK.

The best thing to do is to decide on an area first, otherwise you will have a huge task in hand. Once you have decided on the area you can then start with the serious home hunt. Only way you can decide on an area is to get over there and look! Maybe rent a place for a few months, drive around until you find the area that suits you. Then start looking.

I can give you a very good agent details / web site in the Valencia area. PM me if you want it. And again I can give you the web site addr for my villa, which gives info of the Oliva / Gandia area which is 75 kms South of Valencia.

Everyone will proudly tell you there area is nice ... thats because it suited them ... it may not suit you.

Well done for making the decision. Good luck with the search and let me know if I can help. I've spent 2 years amassing web links and sites to help me along the way!!

Cheers!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:18 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You're lucky ours isn't on the market until March so I guess I won't make it there until August / September if it sells quickly
Help we have had our house on the market since last year and its still not sold but our target for landing is May/June, why are you leaving so much later ? do you know something I don't ? we thought as there was no upward chain from offer to completion date was around 12-14 weeks.
Regards
Kevray
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevray
Help we have had our house on the market since last year and its still not sold but our target for landing is May/June, why are you leaving so much later ? do you know something I don't ? we thought as there was no upward chain from offer to completion date was around 12-14 weeks.
Regards
Kevray
No its not a secret kevray. I'm not reliant on my UK home selling to move although I'd prefer it. Whatever happens, my home in Spain is rented out until early September so I can't go there anyway .... I shall be homeless if the house sells quickly. Strange feeling I'm sure that will be, but I plan to make the most of the experience hopefully by driving around Europe
Old Feb 10th 2006, 5:50 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No its not a secret kevray. I'm not reliant on my UK home selling to move although I'd prefer it. Whatever happens, my home in Spain is rented out until early September so I can't go there anyway .... I shall be homeless if the house sells quickly. Strange feeling I'm sure that will be, but I plan to make the most of the experience hopefully by driving around Europe
Oh Ok, understood, we depend on the sale for us to afford the deposits and setting up in wherever we end up.
Best of luck with the sale and/or the travelling
I just can't wait to start our new adventure
Kevray