Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why did you move

Why did you move

Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move

But just think, when you move over in 6 months it is going to be sooooo hot. You wont like it.
Seriously I am off to Wigan for a long weekend soon, big coat, gloves and scarf at the ready, I am sure it will make me appreciate what I have, as if I dont already. Almond blossom dotting the hills sigh!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Grrrrrrr
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you do not like me Mitzyboy
Just keep counting the seconds, just as we did, all worth it when you get here.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
I take it you do not like me Mitzyboy
Just keep counting the seconds, just as we did, all worth it when you get here.
Not at all mate just jealous I know the wait is worthwhile!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Know how you feel mitzyboy, been there and done it all, not been a bed of roses, but definately much better way of life.
stay green ho ho ho
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously I am off to Wigan for a long weekend soon, big coat, gloves and scarf at the ready, I am sure it will make me appreciate what I have, as if I dont already. Almond blossom dotting the hills sigh!!!!
I take it you plan to buy the string vest and the thick socks once you get here
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looking forward to meat and potatoe pie yummy. But will be counting the 5 days to get back, thick socks are at the ready, scarf, gloves hot water bottle you name it all at the ready.
Just to rub it in, went into town for Spanish lesson tonight and still light at 7pm.
Did you know Mitzyboy that you can get free lessons? If you need it them that is. Well worth going.
Better get on with DvD for the relatives.
pwwm
Old Feb 1st 2006, 6:29 pm
Senior Moment

Looking forward to meat and potatoe pie yummy. But will be counting the 5 days to get back, thick socks are at the ready, scarf, gloves hot water bottle you name it all at the ready.
Just to rub it in, went into town for Spanish lesson tonight and still light at 7pm.
Did you know Mitzyboy that you can get free lessons? If you need it them that is. Well worth going.
Better get on with DvD for the relatives.
pwwm
Free lessons?????? How so? I'm just trying to get cd's at the moment. Locally here they did a starter course at college but didn't follow on with a second intermediate course which was extremely annoying to say the least.
When I'm in Spain I start to pick things up, and when I'm back here I forget again!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Free lessons?????? How so? I'm just trying to get cd's at the moment. Locally here they did a starter course at college but didn't follow on with a second intermediate course which was extremely annoying to say the least.
When I'm in Spain I start to pick things up, and when I'm back here I forget again!!
Never mind all that. I'm in Dublin today and it's as sunny/chilly as Madrid. Add a few pints of decent beer and the prospect of a bacon/black pudding/sausage/beans/tomato breakfast tomorrow and it's all looking very attractive. Dublin/Asturias... Asturias/Dublin.

If only the Frankfurt guy (no black pudding, no celtic music, no beer, but more money) doesn't come through, I could be on for a good deal: Dublin weekly + the family at weekends.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mitzyboy

When you get here ask at the town hall/ayuntamiento all community states by EU law are obliged to offer free lessons, we only do two a week as it is enough for us, but I do believe some area's will offer as many as five sessions per week.
Only thing to remember is it is not just for English speakers, you might as we do end up with Ukraines and Marroc's etc.
Our professor does not speak in English it is all in Spanish.
Good fun, it's free go and do it.Pen, paper and dictionary is all you need apart from a willingness to learn.

pwwm
Old Feb 1st 2006, 9:16 pm
Senior Moment

I shall make a point of it .... The guy who looked after my pool had been in Spain for 5 years and didn't speak any Spanish. I decided to make sure I didn't mirror his efforts!
Thanks for your help, and the pm
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:05 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Why did you move

Originally Posted by dazzle
It's a strange one this, as where I live in the UK, there's been a noticable influx of Spanish people.

We have spanish restaurants, staffed by Spanish people, during a visit to A&E I was treated by a Spanish Doctor and my spanish language teachers are both native spanish.

Maybe the grass is always greener.......
How true Dazzle. I think we all need contrast from time to time, and it was glorious on the beach at old Sancti Petri yesterday.. almost down to the buff in the warm sun, then lighting the fire at night. And the quality of the fruit and veg and the price of Cava! Now I am cold back here in London. I always hate leaving, and no doubt will be even more so once the pool etc is complete, but making full use of the cultural life on offer here in London when the pocket can stand it has it's compensations.
There are thousands of Spanish living in Britain, and that doesn't include South Americans. My great grandfathers, English and Irish, went to India in the 19th century and life must have seemed like heaven for them after the hardships of working class poverty, despite the hazards of life in the tropics.
The seductiveness of life in the sun is a powerful draw, but I wonder if thinking of it as escape is a mistake ?? Like people who go long term sailing to escape ?? It is merely a different lifestyle..a bit like changing partners, it isn't necessarily better, just different and perhaps more appropriate for one at a certain stage of one's life. What drives me bats are people justifying their moves by bashing Britain....despite all it's flaws it's a great place, witness the thousands trying to come here.....I just wish the sun would shine more often
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

The seductiveness of life in the sun is a powerful draw, but I wonder if thinking of it as escape is a mistake ?? Like people who go long term sailing to escape ?? It is merely a different lifestyle..a bit like changing partners, it isn't necessarily better, just different and perhaps more appropriate for one at a certain stage of one's life. What drives me bats are people justifying their moves by bashing Britain....despite all it's flaws it's a great place, witness the thousands trying to come here.....I just wish the sun would shine more often
I disagree, yes it is different but it is better, we are not quite at that stage of life as you so delicately put it, but had enough from the sale of our property in England to stop working, lucky us, yes.
But back to being not necessarily better, we pay far less road tax, house rates, basura to be included 3/12, water bill came in yesterday 27 euros for last three months, that is for pool as well, cheap cheap. Our last electric bill was 80 euro's and as we had had some rain I had started the tumble dryer up, rare that gets used, but we also have the cement mixer working, we run two computers, we do not hold back on using anything that we fancy however much electric it might use. We pay in cents per ltr for fuel what you pay in pence, just what more can I say.

All this in the UK would be far more, we now do not have any credit cards so absolutely no debts, how much better can you get. I love England and have never "bashed "it. Here is the BUT, it is the poorer people going there as unfortunately they see it as land of milk and honey, they get the housing and whilst our own do not. Beautiful countryside but way higher taxation.

Our yearly cost of living is well down, we scuba dive, have a great social life. re your comment on like changing partners, well that is also something would not know about.
Having been here for two and a half years, I think that I do know what is better and what is not.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:07 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I disagree, yes it is different but it is better, we are not quite at that stage of life as you so delicately put it, but had enough from the sale of our property in England to stop working, lucky us, yes.
But back to being not necessarily better, we pay far less road tax, house rates, basura to be included 3/12, water bill came in yesterday 27 euros for last three months, that is for pool as well, cheap cheap. Our last electric bill was 80 euro's and as we had had some rain I had started the tumble dryer up, rare that gets used, but we also have the cement mixer working, we run two computers, we do not hold back on using anything that we fancy however much electric it might use. We pay in cents per ltr for fuel what you pay in pence, just what more can I say.

All this in the UK would be far more, we now do not have any credit cards so absolutely no debts, how much better can you get. I love England and have never "bashed "it. Here is the BUT, it is the poorer people going there as unfortunately they see it as land of milk and honey, they get the housing and whilst our own do not. Beautiful countryside but way higher taxation.

Our yearly cost of living is well down, we scuba dive, have a great social life. re your comment on like changing partners, well that is also something would not know about.
Having been here for two and a half years, I think that I do know what is better and what is not.
Hey didn't mean to sound like a downer.....you sound like you are having a great time !! You must tell me how you invested your capital to sustain this lifestyle or are you living off the capital itself ?? I have considered doing the same myself but am still young enough to wonder if I would still enjoy it once the novelty had worn off...then how does one get back on the property ladder etc when back in Britain ?? maybe I think too far ahead, but I take a lot of risks in my life so need some safeguards too. My comments about 'changing partners' etc were slightly flippant, but also the result of observation, and I was being allegorical. People get stuck in a rut, get carried away with the euphoria of a new partner, new excitement but some years later find themselves back to square one. One cannot deny that one's lifestyle is dictated by the climate, and in warmer climes life seems so much more relaxed, but remember that those low prices that you are paying for everything are the result of the lower local wages which prompts the poorer locals to head for more seemingly prosperous countries like Britain so that they too can aspire to the expat lifestyle. My great grandfathers spent the rest of their lives in India for the very same reasons....though mere squaddies their lives were greatly improved by going overseas, sadly at the expense of the continued poverty of the native population. I know that the local artisans appreciate the additional employment obtained from the influx of Brits, but I wonder how long these low prices will continue...I felt embarrased by the highly qualified electrician who was moonlighting to hang my lights and slaved and sweated for two long evenings and charged 50 EU....my Spanish friends in London constantly complain about how expensive everything is when they go home!
And yes I do wish I was still out there as I contemplate heading for work soon in this freezing weather....think of me as you crack open that bottle of chilled Cava this evening..
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 2:37 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by poollounger
What drives me bats are people justifying their moves by bashing Britain....despite all it's flaws it's a great place, witness the thousands trying to come here.....I just wish the sun would shine more often
Mmmmm ... thats aimed at me I guess ... I've thought about this deeply. Its easy to move making the mistake of thinking it will be one big holiday. I think you have to realise that you live there when you get there, and thats the mistake a lot of people make.

I'm not bashing Britain as I do think its a lovely place. But I regret it can also be a depressing place. Lots of pressure, high prices, stressed people. Granted the weather doesn't help, but its more the way society has moved I'm afraid. I will always love to come back often, as theres still a lot I want to experience and see in the UK, but I just don't feel I want to live here any more. Its not all about money .... Its about the way of life also .... I just hope the growth of the Spanish economy doesn't ruin the way of life and spoil exactly the thing I am moving there for!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.