Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why did you move

Why did you move

Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:23 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why did you move

In view of the seemingly increasing number of people deserting the uk shores, what was it that made you move abroad, or indeed buy a property with the intention of moving. Was it the way of life in Spain, or was it the way of life in the UK, or did you just fancy a change?

Im just interested to know .... On other forums I've seen people accusing the Brits of Britifying certain areas of Spain and spoiling the Spanish culture, so I'm wondering if people are looking for a little bit of the UK abroad or if they just really want to escape the British way of life.

For me, much as I love the British countryside (and I am proud to be British most of the time), I've become increasingly dissatisfied with the constant pressures of the UK, the high cost of living, and, I'm afraid, yob culture. Most people I know are so stressed, and recently it was claimed that the average lunch hour is now 19 minutes, and as an average people are working a full days overtime a week, unpaid!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Re: Why did you move

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
For me, much as I love the British countryside (and I am proud to be British most of the time), I've become increasingly dissatisfied with the constant pressures of the UK, the high cost of living, and, I'm afraid, yob culture. Most people I know are so stressed, and recently it was claimed that the average lunch hour is now 19 minutes, and as an average people are working a full days overtime a week, unpaid!
Bang on the bullseye with those comments, MB.

My wife had always fancied living here and I was willing to go along, but we couldn't think of a sensible way of doing it. After a few years like this we decided to check out schools and firm up plans, accepting that I'd probably be working in the UK to bring in the money. Once we'd looked at schools, we decided to go for it anyway and ended up coming in Christmas 2000/1, rather than for Sept 2001. We were getting so hacked off with commuting, traffic, politics, tax, fluffy bunnies, statism, etc. we had to leave for our sanity.

It's become a different type of madness now, but the quality of life's better.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzyboy and Coralsoft

I agree, when I worked in a GP surgery in England I never had a break , ran the show on my own. lunch, what lunch.
But back to why we came, well slower pace of life, cheaper by far to live, It never fails to amaze me when I go to visit family how much everything is, for instance TV licence I hear, is now well over £130. just one saving, our previous place in UK for rates would be around £2000 pa here about £75. rip of Britain. (Inept government, they drove us out to start with)
Dont get me wrong I still love the place absolutley beautiful, but yob culture, etc etc I will not go on, but prime reason why I gave in and said lets go was the year the government said, out of cars and into public transport, Excuse me! where I lived there was none, well, one bus a week. Oh I could go on, and on but we know why we are here.

No stress, we do not use credit cards anymore, just day to day living etc.
pwwm
Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Mitzyboy and Coralsoft

I agree, when I worked in a GP surgery in England I never had a break , ran the show on my own. lunch, what lunch.
But back to why we came, well slower pace of life, cheaper by far to live, It never fails to amaze me when I go to visit family how much everything is, for instance TV licence I hear, is now well over £130. just one saving, our previous place in UK for rates would be around £2000 pa here about £75. rip of Britain. (Inept government, they drove us out to start with)
Dont get me wrong I still love the place absolutley beautiful, but yob culture, etc etc I will not go on, but prime reason why I gave in and said lets go was the year the government said, out of cars and into public transport, Excuse me! where I lived there was none, well, one bus a week. Oh I could go on, and on but we know why we are here.

No stress, we do not use credit cards anymore, just day to day living etc.
pwwm
Ahhhhh ... I just can't wait to get there ..... 6 months and counting :-)
Old Jan 29th 2006, 5:18 pm
Experience 5* rating

Costa-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant futureCosta-Convert has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Why did you move

In view of the seemingly increasing number of people deserting the uk shores, what was it that made you move abroad, or indeed buy a property with the intention of moving. Was it the way of life in Spain, or was it the way of life in the UK, or did you just fancy a change?

Im just interested to know .... On other forums I've seen people accusing the Brits of Britifying certain areas of Spain and spoiling the Spanish culture, so I'm wondering if people are looking for a little bit of the UK abroad or if they just really want to escape the British way of life.

I am scheduled to move to Spain in July this year when my son has broken up from school. I pay £600.00 per month to send him to a private school in the UK because the nearest ones to me have such bad results and huge numbers of special needs. Which seems to be indicative of schools all around the area I live. A Spanish Bi-Lingual international school will cost me around £300.00 a month, an entrance test is required to go beyond the infant years and any special needs children that are detected at that stage are put back a year which enables the brighter children to get on and the not such brighter ones to benefit from a slower pace giving them more of a chance of catching up. His peer group will be of all nationalities and he will benefit from learning another language fluently but the time he is 7.

I have always found spanish children very polite to their adults as it was in England 20 years ago, when we were afraid of the police because they would tell our mums if we did anything wrong, now the children can sue you for looking at them funny let alone a clip round the ear that the old fashioned bobby use to give us. I don't know I just want my son to grow up with the right values in life, my cost of living will be less than in the UK and we will have the benefit of 9 months sun 3 months rain instead of the other way round!

I am and have always been proud to be british but recently on a visit to my house in Spain I was ashamed to be so when, an English man starting swearing and kicking the door of a Spanish mans car because he got in before him in the petrol queue, it was really quite embarrasing. And you get the brits who tut and sigh because the Spanish don't understand them when they are ordering their 10th drink from the bar.

I love the laid back Spanish way of life, their culture and of course who can fault the weather!

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Costa-Convert; Jan 29th 2006 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

No question, looking for an escape from the way of life forced on us by the weather, high cost of living, excessive legislation and political correctness, yob culture and declining values.

Life in Spain is changing, that's true and things are not what they were 25 years ago, but they still have a way to go before things deteriorate to the levels of the UK in the above matters. I do hope that the British influence only brings the good things and leaves the bad at home

In all other respects I am proud to be British, but I am equally proud to be half Spanish. Who will I follow in this year's World Cup? Both nations and hope that they meet in the final - lol, fat chance
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:55 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Unexpat
No question, looking for an escape from the way of life forced on us by the weather, high cost of living, excessive legislation and political correctness, yob culture and declining values.

Life in Spain is changing, that's true and things are not what they were 25 years ago, but they still have a way to go before things deteriorate to the levels of the UK in the above matters. I do hope that the British influence only brings the good things and leaves the bad at home

In all other respects I am proud to be British, but I am equally proud to be half Spanish. Who will I follow in this year's World Cup? Both nations and hope that they meet in the final - lol, fat chance
You don't think Spain will make it to the final then
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:01 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

hi mitzyboy, yep, I too cant wait to move to Spain. We have sold our house and move in 2 weeks to Barxeta (nr Xativa,valencia) what are we escaping from... mmmm.. where do I start..
first has to be the weather, quieter pace of life, less stress, new chapter in life etc.
by the way, where are you moving to?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

You don't think Spain will make it to the final then
LOL
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:37 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
hi mitzyboy, yep, I too cant wait to move to Spain. We have sold our house and move in 2 weeks to Barxeta (nr Xativa,valencia) what are we escaping from... mmmm.. where do I start..
first has to be the weather, quieter pace of life, less stress, new chapter in life etc.
by the way, where are you moving to?
Hi Patsywhitehair

I have a place on the hills overlooking Gandia / Oliva (Valencia). Its empty at the moment ..... and it shouldn't be! I should be there!
I know where Xativa is ... we were going to visit there last time we were over there but never quite made it. You're lucky ours isn't on the market until March so I guess I won't make it there until August / September if it sells quickly
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

It's a strange one this, as where I live in the UK, there's been a noticable influx of Spanish people.

We have spanish restaurants, staffed by Spanish people, during a visit to A&E I was treated by a Spanish Doctor and my spanish language teachers are both native spanish.

Maybe the grass is always greener.......
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:39 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dazzle
It's a strange one this, as where I live in the UK, there's been a noticable influx of Spanish people.

We have spanish restaurants, staffed by Spanish people, during a visit to A&E I was treated by a Spanish Doctor and my spanish language teachers are both native spanish.

Maybe the grass is always greener.......

funny you should say that.... a spanish couple have bought my house and i am going to Spain..
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:41 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

Hi Patsywhitehair

I have a place on the hills overlooking Gandia / Oliva (Valencia). Its empty at the moment ..... and it shouldn't be! I should be there!
I know where Xativa is ... we were going to visit there last time we were over there but never quite made it. You're lucky ours isn't on the market until March so I guess I won't make it there until August / September if it sells quickly

oh I hope you sell quickly,mine had been on the market for a year and half. By the way have been to gandia and oliva many times,love Gandia
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, I shall think of you all whilst I while away my time sitting on the terrace with whatever takes my fancy, doing suduko or reading, 21 dg at midday today now dropped to 9dg. Hood down when I popped out and no coat on. I could go on but do not want an outbreak of "green fever"
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:11 pm
Senior Moment

Yes ..... thank you so much for that, makes us all feel oh so much better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.