Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Why did you move

Why did you move

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move

Ok poollounger I shall let you off. We have investments in little piles scattered around, but it will be a definate help when we eventually get to retirement age. We were lucky in that the house we bought in 1983 (in UK) and sold 20 years later made a huge profit, we were lucky that we had paid of the mortgage due to inheritence, so needless to say what a help.
Anyhow do eat your hearts out, today actually smelt like spring, really nice.
None of you will regret it, at least I hope not as it is so easy to to England and revel in its beauty and see family. Flights are cheap especially if you book early.
Oh well another day in the sun nearly over
pwwm
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Ok poollounger I shall let you off. We have investments in little piles scattered around, but it will be a definate help when we eventually get to retirement age. We were lucky in that the house we bought in 1983 (in UK) and sold 20 years later made a huge profit, we were lucky that we had paid of the mortgage due to inheritence, so needless to say what a help.
Anyhow do eat your hearts out, today actually smelt like spring, really nice.
None of you will regret it, at least I hope not as it is so easy to to England and revel in its beauty and see family. Flights are cheap especially if you book early.
Oh well another day in the sun nearly over
pwwm
You really like to rub it in don't you
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, but I have given you Karma (or even calma) ho ho, suppose I had better put the fire on.
Anyhow this time next year you to will be able to gloat.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, but I have given you Karma (or even calma) ho ho, suppose I had better put the fire on.
Anyhow this time next year you to will be able to gloat.

Ahh .... I wondered where that came from thanks.
Apparantly I'm just really nice
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:36 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Mmmmm ... thats aimed at me I guess ... I've thought about this deeply. Its easy to move making the mistake of thinking it will be one big holiday. I think you have to realise that you live there when you get there, and thats the mistake a lot of people make.

I'm not bashing Britain as I do think its a lovely place. But I regret it can also be a depressing place. Lots of pressure, high prices, stressed people. Granted the weather doesn't help, but its more the way society has moved I'm afraid. I will always love to come back often, as theres still a lot I want to experience and see in the UK, but I just don't feel I want to live here any more. Its not all about money .... Its about the way of life also .... I just hope the growth of the Spanish economy doesn't ruin the way of life and spoil exactly the thing I am moving there for!
I share your feelings.....but wonder how we have arrived at this state in Britain. This yob culture and breakdown of law and order didn't happen overnight, but perhaps it's the swing of the pendulum that has to head back in the other direction to find a happy medium. I often wonder if the yobs merely get their lead from the so called people at the top...after all one could easily accuse politicians and royals of yobbish behaviour which sets the tone for many others. The family seems to be of great import in Spain, yet a staunchly Catholic country legalised same sex relations long before Britain. One could go on and on but I shall get off my soap box and log onto Ryan air and book those all important flights!! Cannot wait to get out there again...
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh no not Ryanair, one airline you would have to pay me to go with, never been a good experience, good old easyjet to Almeria for me :scared:
Sounds like you two, poollounger and mitzyboy need to get out here just tell me you are not near us, PLEASE
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 4:42 pm
Senior Moment

You're right ... in my opinion its all down to the family unit. You know, the one that hardly exists any more. I could go on for ages on this subject, but I won't as I'm looking to the future now not the past
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Well I won't make any apology for what I said about the weather, high cost of living, excessive legislation/political correctness, yob culture and declining values, with the last two probably being the most significant factors, in the final analysis, and largely the responsibility of my own generation and onwards I am sad to say.

However many British positives there are to offset this (and there are plenty), the scales have just tipped too far over and I foresee things only getting worse. Granted, the scales were lop-sided to begin with, thanks to the weather, but there's not much to be done about that (although with the rate of global warming, who knows? ).

I don't see this as bashing Britain, just as a statement of the facts as they apply to me. I made a decent living in Britain, paid well above average taxes and created many jobs over the time I spent working hard to achieve these things, so I don't feel that I did not give back at least as much as I took out, if not more.

And now, it just so happens that I find myself in a position where there is a much better quality of life to be offered, for me, in Spain than in the UK - most notably in respect to the reduction in stress that has become a way of life in Britain, not to mention a country where the family is valued and the majority of people treat others with respect. May sound a bit old-fashioned, but that just settles the scales firmly on one side.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:24 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Oh no not Ryanair, one airline you would have to pay me to go with, never been a good experience, good old easyjet to Almeria for me :scared:
Sounds like you two, poollounger and mitzyboy need to get out here just tell me you are not near us, PLEASE
Agree Easyjet has the edge on Ryanair, but Jerez is fine and dandy and yesterday it was exactly 6 hours from shutting my Spanish front door and opening the one in London!!!! I shan't come and live near you..the Cadiz Jerez Seville triangle suits me just fine...sea, mountains and doses of culture when needed. And isn't Almeria supposed to be mainly desert?? Peter O'Toole and camels ?? And you are absolutely right.. I NEED TO GET OUT THERE MORE OFTEN....
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Poollounger

I can see why you need Ryanair for Jerez. Although I say Almeria, we are actually one and a half hours west along the coast (Granada province), we chose it here as we have the mountains down to the sea, hence we get quite good scuba diving. Sandy area's were a no go as the visiblilty would have been poor, and the north of Spain too damn cold in the winter.

Yes you need to get out more often, so work on it. But you might gloat as we are due storms tomorrow, all along the south. :scared:

pwwm
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a problem with Ryanair. I must have used them around 20 times now Liverpool or Stanstead to Granada or Seville. Only ever had one delay at Liverpool for an hour. Plus I've never paid more than £25 return inc taxes

regards
BW.

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easyjet for me wins hands down, I need more baggage allowance than 15kgs. I used Ryanair years ago for trips to Germany, did not have problems then, but since is another story. The last straw, was when they told me I could not sit in one of the rows near the front "it was for counting purposes and we like to keep it clear" excuse me I have paid for a seat and a seat I will have. I was late boarding, Flight was packed and I had been stopped by security as they thought I was carrying explosives! Yet another story.

But we cannot all like the same. I also find BA give us good prices until that is you look at the bottom line and it doubles with taxation.
My next trip is with Monarch to Manchester next week and I could not find a better price despite trying hard. But I am having to go via Malaga as the quote from Almeria was treble cost from Malaga, I am fortunate in that I can use either.
pwwm

thermals packed, keep being told that I will get cold. eek!
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:29 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Take a look at the new airline jet2 (.com) they have great deals from Manchester to Malaga. My parents use them all the time when visiting and say they are far better than sleazy jet or irish air.

I agree with all the comments about the UK, fact but a shame....

I love the Spanish life but I do miss my Mummy
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unhappy Re: Why did you move

Hi Britbull

First time to Manchester usually fly to Gatwick normally, I looked at jet2 but more than Monarch this time, late booking.

re missing your mummy, I miss my "Babies"
one of whom is with his wife today in Barcelona, message says
" Come and see us, we will buy you coffee" oh ha ha, daft sod
Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Libby Fox is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Britbull

First time to Manchester usually fly to Gatwick normally, I looked at jet2 but more than Monarch this time, late booking.

re missing your mummy, I miss my "Babies"
one of whom is with his wife today in Barcelona, message says
" Come and see us, we will buy you coffee" oh ha ha, daft sod

Hi Mitzyboy, pwwm and all the others

I've been reading your posts as yesterday my husband and I finally decided it was time we stopped dreaming and took some action. House is going on the market on Wednesday, contacted estate agents in UK (Manchester area) and surfing the net too, for places in Spain. Unfortunately, haven't any idea which area we want in Spain as we don't know of many areas.

We'd like a quiet place, not touristic. Somewhere we can relax and enjoy a peaceful life. Also what is the cost of living as we've read other posts where it's been suggested Spain's more expensive than UK. Roughly how much would we need per month including general bills and food - that is if we had a place of our own.

We would appreciate any help/advice you can give.

Many thanks
John & Libby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.