Moving Schools

Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:28 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Scunthorpe until next year
Posts: 65
rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Schools

I have just had an email from the Gibraltar education department regarding my 15 yr old daughter.

They quite rightly say that moving a student at this stage of her education (yr10 and doing GCSE's) can be difficult and stressful for them. We are now examining options on whether to defer our move until she has finished her education in the UK.

Has anyone been in this position and still moved? I would value hearing about your experiences.

I know the obvious thing is to wait, but I would like to hear the other side of the argument as well
rickstevens is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:05 pm
  #2  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Schools

Originally Posted by rickstevens
I have just had an email from the Gibraltar education department regarding my 15 yr old daughter.

They quite rightly say that moving a student at this stage of her education (yr10 and doing GCSE's) can be difficult and stressful for them. We are now examining options on whether to defer our move until she has finished her education in the UK.

Has anyone been in this position and still moved? I would value hearing about your experiences.

I know the obvious thing is to wait, but I would like to hear the other side of the argument as well

some people I know here came over last summer with their 9 year old & 15 year old. Put them both in Spanish school although neither spoke a word of spanish (or valenciano which they also speak here) The 9 yr old is doing fine but the older child after one term is now back in the UK with relatives to do GCSE's & will return here in the summer.

IMHO 15 is waaaaaaaaaay to old to start in a 'foreign' school where you don't know the language (actually not just my opinion, there have been many studies which suggest over age 10 is difficult). Even if you were looking at an International or 'british' school, why make life harder, exams are bad enough without having to make new friends in a new country.
lynnxa is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:48 pm
  #3  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Schools

IMHO it seems completely logical that if you changed school near or in the middle of exams it would have a hugely detrimental effect. They can't learn properly until they learn the language, and that in itself is a challenge.

Exams are stressful enough without the added problem of communication
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:08 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Scunthorpe until next year
Posts: 65
rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Schools

I fully understand the stressful part of all this, but if I may point out language would not be a prbolem as the school is an English school in Gibraltar- Just looking for peoples experiences on this - thanks for your input
rickstevens is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:41 pm
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Schools

I think it would be way too stressful to move her at this stage, she will be and have concerns over exams to start with, and the syllabus will no doubt be different, I take you point that it is an English speaking school but give her the chance to finish in UK. I am sure it would be the best for her.
Change of school and friends is difficult at the best of times, I have seen it happen here more than once. (My parents did it to me many years ago)
But best of luck in what you decide
pwwm
pwwm is offline  
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:03 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Scunthorpe until next year
Posts: 65
rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Schools

Well I guess that settles it....move deferred until next summer
rickstevens is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:05 pm
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
pwwm's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Albuñol. Granada
Posts: 1,532
pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Schools

Not long though Rick, just look forward to the move, Time will fly by.
Look forward to hearing from you nearer the time.
pwwm
pwwm is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2006, 4:53 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Scunthorpe until next year
Posts: 65
rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Schools

Originally Posted by pwwm
Not long though Rick, just look forward to the move, Time will fly by.
Look forward to hearing from you nearer the time.
pwwm
Oh I'll still be lurking and no doubt asking silly questions, one advantage to putting the move back is it gives me far more time to get every detail in place to make it as easy as possible for when we move
rickstevens is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:48 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
belisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Schools

Hi Rick

I think that GCSE.s continue on until year 11 in the UK so won't it be next summer that you move if you are staying to let her finish her education. Then what if she wants to go to 6th form or college.

We decided to move with our children, one of them is 14. She has gone straight into the spanish system. Yes things can be difficult but she has really settled in and is doing well with her castellano and valenciano. She is making new friends.
She is the equivalent of year 10 and she will have to repeat the year.


One of the biggest influencing factors for us was what if she refuses to come to Spain after she's finished her education? that would mean we couldn't go so the decision was made and off we went.

Anyhow good luck with whatever you decide
belisa is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2006, 11:14 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Scunthorpe until next year
Posts: 65
rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Moving Schools

Originally Posted by belisa
Hi Rick

I think that GCSE.s continue on until year 11 in the UK so won't it be next summer that you move if you are staying to let her finish her education. Then what if she wants to go to 6th form or college.

We decided to move with our children, one of them is 14. She has gone straight into the spanish system. Yes things can be difficult but she has really settled in and is doing well with her castellano and valenciano. She is making new friends.
She is the equivalent of year 10 and she will have to repeat the year.


One of the biggest influencing factors for us was what if she refuses to come to Spain after she's finished her education? that would mean we couldn't go so the decision was made and off we went.

Anyhow good luck with whatever you decide
Yes it will be next summer when we come across, but it seems so far away

She is very keen to come across to Spain with us and take on a whole new way of living. At the end of the day, we still have relatives in the UK, if in a year or so she changes her mind and wants to come back to the UK, it won't be a problem for her as there will still be plenty of support in the UK.
rickstevens is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:03 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
belisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Schools

Originally Posted by rickstevens
Yes it will be next summer when we come across, but it seems so far away

She is very keen to come across to Spain with us and take on a whole new way of living. At the end of the day, we still have relatives in the UK, if in a year or so she changes her mind and wants to come back to the UK, it won't be a problem for her as there will still be plenty of support in the UK.
Our daughter was really keen to move to Spain, you get some teenagers who hate the thought of it. That must make life really difficult.
I think if she insisted on going back we'd have to go with her, I wouldn't enjoy my life here if she was in a different country.
belisa is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:35 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Scunthorpe until next year
Posts: 65
rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Schools

Originally Posted by belisa
Our daughter was really keen to move to Spain, you get some teenagers who hate the thought of it. That must make life really difficult.
I think if she insisted on going back we'd have to go with her, I wouldn't enjoy my life here if she was in a different country.
Our daughter is rather grown up and very responsible for her age (15 going on 35) so her coming back to the UK after a year or so wouldnt b a problem, at the end of the day she will be an adult, and it's only a couple of hours by plane, not the other side of the world if there are any problems. I don't think she'll come back though.
rickstevens is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:05 pm
  #13  
Rizlared
 
kevray's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Anhui, China
Posts: 237
kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving Schools

Hi Rick
My cousin lives outside of Girona and has two daughters, the youngest was 15 when they moved there and neither have looked back, the eldest went to uni in Barcelona and left with honors and is a much sort-after graphics designer, the younger has just taken a year out from Girona uni and is living in Mexico. I mean WoW. The whole Spanish education system is superb and I can't wait for our 9 month old daughter to benefit from it. if your daughter wanted to go on to further education where better could she go.
My only problem is trying to work out where in Spain to move to.
Kevray
kevray is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:41 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Scunthorpe until next year
Posts: 65
rickstevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Schools

Originally Posted by kevray
Hi Rick
My cousin lives outside of Girona and has two daughters, the youngest was 15 when they moved there and neither have looked back, the eldest went to uni in Barcelona and left with honors and is a much sort-after graphics designer, the younger has just taken a year out from Girona uni and is living in Mexico. I mean WoW. The whole Spanish education system is superb and I can't wait for our 9 month old daughter to benefit from it. if your daughter wanted to go on to further education where better could she go.
My only problem is trying to work out where in Spain to move to.
Kevray
Wow thats some success story, Uni might be a problem for her initially as she doesnt speak any spanish at the moment, I suppose it will depend on how fast she picks it up. We are planning to move down near Gibraltar and shall be paying a visit later in the year to have a good look round before we commit ourselves. I suppose thats one advantage of having to wait until next summer at least we can take the time do do things properly and not in a rush.

I hope you find somewhere you like, I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum who will be able to advise you.
rickstevens is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.