Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Toros - tide turning?

Toros - tide turning?

Old May 2nd 2010, 11:14 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toros - tide turning?

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Where have you been? The poor young cows often with their female calves are driven around to primtive village squares where they are tormented by kids of all ages with wooden swords in enclosed spaces watched by proud parents who have paid for the priviledge. The highlight of this torment is when a young bullock is put in wearing a crown of lighted candles and runs berserk as the hot wax runs into his eyes. Any cow or calve who tries to escape to the safety of the pen is severly beaten with long canes by their keepers and are left with blood streaked sides. This was still happening in Oliva when I left 7 years ago. Several young men have been killed over the years so there is some kind of justice.
Sorry elspeth,I should have made myself clear that I was referring to the UK.
I am fully aware of the points you mention regarding Spain,..not nice at all,...so I will just happily settle for being a British stud,thank you very much.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Sorry elspeth,I should have made myself clear that I was referring to the UK.
I am fully aware of the points you mention regarding Spain,..not nice at all,...so I will just happily settle for being a British stud,thank you very much.
Well I'm glad we sorted that out .I'm getting a bit hot under my collar today I'll just reach for the valium. This thread has made me realise that there's a lot I don't like about Spain so I'm removing my rose tinted glasses.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you been? The poor young cows often with their female calves are driven around to primtive village squares where they are tormented by kids of all ages with wooden swords in enclosed spaces watched by proud parents who have paid for the priviledge. The highlight of this torment is when a young bullock is put in wearing a crown of lighted candles and runs berserk as the hot wax runs into his eyes. Any cow or calve who tries to escape to the safety of the pen is severly beaten with long canes by their keepers and are left with blood streaked sides. This was still happening in Oliva when I left 7 years ago. Several young men have been killed over the years so there is some kind of justice.
I agree that these kind of fiestas that torment animals should be banned - they are much worse than bullfighting

But get things is perspective a minute. There are probably 20-50 villages in Spain who still do things like this each year. So maybe 200 animals who are tormented out of the 100,000s in Spain. Still it is 200 too many, you are right.

So if you came back as a bull or cow in Spain you'd have a pretty good chance of having a half decent life.

Although if you are a cow bred for meat you only get to live about a year anyway, no matter what country you are in. Chickens get to live 40 days.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm glad we sorted that out .I'm getting a bit hot under my collar today I'll just reach for the valium. This thread has made me realise that there's a lot I don't like about Spain so I'm removing my rose tinted glasses.
Well I dont know Elspeth.

The NGOs estimate that the UK and US have killed 600,000 innocent civilians in Iraq. Hardly civilised and it eats much more on my conscious than a few animals getting wax in their eyes
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Those giant tortoises get about 150 years. It probably passes rather slowly too.
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:49 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Those giant tortoises get about 150 years. It probably passes rather slowly too.
Yes, that would be a good choice. Problem is, aren't their natural habitats in danger of disappearing? Animals, whether they be factory-farmed chickens or wild tigers, get a very poor deal from humans.
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
I agree that these kind of fiestas that torment animals should be banned - they are much worse than bullfighting

But get things is perspective a minute. There are probably 20-50 villages in Spain who still do things like this each year. So maybe 200 animals who are tormented out of the 100,000s in Spain. Still it is 200 too many, you are right.

So if you came back as a bull or cow in Spain you'd have a pretty good chance of having a half decent life.

Although if you are a cow bred for meat you only get to live about a year anyway, no matter what country you are in. Chickens get to live 40 days.

There are many more than 20-50 small villages and towns of up to 40,000 inhabitants in Valencia alone using acts of cruelty as parts of their fiestas so we must be considering thousands of towns and villages throughout Spain. You'll have to get out of Madrid. As a retired crofter I have to say I've never heard of cows raised for meat only bull calves which in Scotland are killed at three years old for prime quality beef. Old cows after 10 to 15 years as breeding cows are turned in to mince or animal food. In Spain they kill their beef too young hence tasteless meat.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well I dont know Elspeth.

The NGOs estimate that the UK and US have killed 600,000 innocent civilians in Iraq. Hardly civilised and it eats much more on my conscious than a few animals getting wax in their eyes
Thats why we must make sure that the bastards like Bush, Blair, Aznar and their henchmen never get back into power and in a perfect world neither should the flocks of sheep that voted for them.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

There are many more than 20-50 small villages and towns of up to 40,000 inhabitants in Valencia alone using acts of cruelty as parts of their fiestas so we must be considering thousands of towns and villages throughout Spain. You'll have to get out of Madrid. As a retired crofter I have to say I've never heard of cows raised for meat only bull calves which in Scotland are killed at three years old for prime quality beef. Old cows after 10 to 15 years as breeding cows are turned in to mince or animal food. In Spain they kill their beef too young hence tasteless meat.
Cricketman has stated several times he lives on the CDS (and Barcelona before that). Why ask him to "get out of Madrid????"

You have to be very careful trusting to the Scottish beef label. I've no idea how prevalent it is, but I've read that certain operators transport cows to Scotland a few months before slaughter, so they can get a higher price for the Scottish beef label.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Cricketman has stated several times he lives on the CDS (and Barcelona before that). Why ask him to "get out of Madrid????"

You have to be very careful trusting to the Scottish beef label. I've no idea how prevalent it is, but I've read that certain operators transport cows to Scotland a few months before slaughter, so they can get a higher price for the Scottish beef label.
What a lot of shite all cattle have passports showing place of birth and granny's middle name before they can be shipped or killed.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:42 pm
Not Banned (yet)

What a lot of shite all cattle have passports showing place of birth and granny's middle name before they can be shipped or killed.
If anyone's consistently spouted "shite" this morning it's the poster who's claimed that Cricketman is based in Madrid. people on the dole don't want to get a job, and that casual labour jobs paying 8-10 Euros an hour are common in Spain (although to be fair they may be where you are based).

Be that as it may, I accept that cattle in Scotland may need proof of place of birth (doubt there's anything regarding grandma tho ) but does anyone using a butcher ever ask for proof? Just interested like. The best steak I've ever had was in an Argentinian restaurant in Madrid, but I've no idea whether the meat came from an Argentinian (or even Scottish) cow,
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:00 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

How has a bull-fighting thread turned into discussing the UK. Whatever happens in the UK re. animals it doesn't make bullfighting ok.

Sometimes I think the title of this forum should be changed to:

Spain Versus the UK Forum
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
If anyone's consistently spouted "shite" this morning it's the poster who's claimed that Cricketman is based in Madrid. people on the dole don't want to get a job, and that casual labour jobs paying 8-10 Euros an hour are common in Spain (although to be fair they may be where you are based).

Be that as it may, I accept that cattle in Scotland may need proof of place of birth (doubt there's anything regarding grandma tho ) but does anyone using a butcher ever ask for proof? Just interested like. The best steak I've ever had was in an Argentinian restaurant in Madrid, but I've no idea whether the meat came from an Argentinian (or even Scottish) cow,
Didn't I read that the sportsman said he had met all those Argentinians in Madrid where he worked as someone important due to his excellent state education and important degree. I shouldn't have had that glass of beer yesterday . Watch out for the high hormone levels in Argentine beef, test before you taste.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
You seem to be forgetting that a lot of cattle are raised for bull-beef these days,so they don't lose their credentials
Why would you leave a bullock entire? It flavours the meat and makes it impossible to actually keep them as they all end up fighting.
Old May 2nd 2010, 2:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't I read that the sportsman said he had met all those Argentinians in Madrid where he worked as someone important due to his excellent state education and important degree. I shouldn't have had that glass of beer yesterday . Watch out for the high hormone levels in Argentine beef, test before you taste.
I can understand you getting confused being new to the forum. You will soon find out that Cricketman has been everywhere and knows everything

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.