Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Toros - tide turning?

Toros - tide turning?

Old May 1st 2010, 10:38 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toros - tide turning?

Originally Posted by Veleta
Jaja, you use Vd. to address me? Wow, I'm impressed...thx. I must admit I NEVER use the Vd. form. Speaking anyway. I suppose if I'm writing a formal letter I make more of an effort.
I'm not a big fan of vd either, my ex in Chile used to employ it when addressing her dad! It was in Pinochet era, mind.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I NEVER use the Vd. form. Speaking anyway.
No rarely that I do, but we have Spanish friends that we have known for many years, and he still uses usted when writing to me. Old school, like me, I guess!
Old May 1st 2010, 11:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

my dh & kids are sitting cheering the bulls at the moment

it's a programme showing clips where the bull 'wins'
Old May 1st 2010, 2:49 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

The season is upon us and every week there are umpteen bullfights or rejorneos going on. They are extremely popular and people here are of the opinion that it will never be banned. I just keep my mouth shut!
That used to be said of foxhunting with hounds in the UK too don't forget. In the early 80s I was active in hunt sabbing...and the anti-hunt movement had been going vociferously for over 40 years before the ban came into force. In time, in time...
Old May 1st 2010, 4:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
That used to be said of foxhunting with hounds in the UK too don't forget. In the early 80s I was active in hunt sabbing...and the anti-hunt movement had been going vociferously for over 40 years before the ban came into force. In time, in time...
... and hunting has never been more popular and foxes have never been killed in such high numbers... all thanks to the Anti's.... now they think they have fought the good fight and won, almost no anti's bother turn up at all, in fact around here the hunt "monitors" turn up, check in with the Hunt Master and bugger off home.
Old May 1st 2010, 4:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Not saying it's true but the tauromaquia media always claim that more people go to corridas than go to watch the footie in Spain.
Must be wrong, Barca has 100,000 at there games alone.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

The bous were looking very happy in our local plaza today.

Purebred specimens out for a bit of exercise?????

Thank god we were in a cage outside a bar.
Old May 1st 2010, 8:24 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
... and hunting has never been more popular and foxes have never been killed in such high numbers... all thanks to the Anti's.... now they think they have fought the good fight and won, almost no anti's bother turn up at all, in fact around here the hunt "monitors" turn up, check in with the Hunt Master and bugger off home.
Matt, the idea that foxes will be an endangered species is a tad unfamiliar to me. Stopping them being killed wasn't the idea, - killing a pest is fair enough. It's the means that was so unpleasant. Shooting the damn things always was the most effective method IMO.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Matt, the idea that foxes will be an endangered species is a tad unfamiliar to me. Stopping them being killed wasn't the idea, - killing a pest is fair enough. It's the means that was so unpleasant. Shooting the damn things always was the most effective method IMO.
Quite agree,and it doesn't leave the Brits with much of a case for complaining about Spanish blood sports.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Absolutely.... but the foxes are still dying in the same manner as before, the only difference is that the Anti's no longer create a fracas.
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:23 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

On another talk board a question was asked "Which animal would you like to come back as?"
I considered the options for various animals in Europe. Perhaps a pet dog or cat? No, I'd probably have my gonads cut off. A farm sheep, chicken or pig? No way, especially if I was factory-farmed, plus I'd be slaughtered in my first year or two. A wild bird? Very dodgy, if the cats didn't get me, the first cold winter probably would. A race-horse? Just avoid breaking your leg on a jump.
Anyway I soon realised that the life of a fighting bull in Spain (if you ignore the last 20 minutes) is probably one of the better options! There are better options (maybe a polar bear, an elephant or a penguin) but the life of a fighting bull is probably better than most animals in lands controlled by the human race. Which doesn't say a lot about us
Old May 2nd 2010, 8:34 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Absolutely.... but the foxes are still dying in the same manner as before, the only difference is that the Anti's no longer create a fracas.
Yeah, but the point is, foxes kill your stock, and I have lost a lot of chickens to them in the past. They are almost as common as rats and do a lot of damage, so I would shoot any near my henhouse without a second's thought.

What I hated about foxhunting was the way all the holes were stopped, and should it finally get safe down a hole, it was dug out and thrown to the dogs. Not, IMO terribly sportsmanlike. At least on a shoot the pheasants get a chance at freedom, and they aren't all hunted down to the last bird.

I do agree with you about PETA, but they to me have always reeked of the quasi religious desire for power over people. A bit like the feminazis who have no interest in equality and fairness for all, but instead want power.
Old May 2nd 2010, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=bil;8536412]Yeah, but the point is, foxes kill your stock, and I have lost a lot of chickens to them in the past. They are almost as common as rats and do a lot of damage, so I would shoot any near my henhouse without a second's thought.

What I hated about foxhunting was the way all the holes were stopped, and should it finally get safe down a hole, it was dug out and thrown to the dogs. Not, IMO terribly sportsmanlike. At least on a shoot the pheasants get a chance at freedom, and they aren't all hunted down to the last bird.

I do agree with you about PETA, but they to me have always reeked of the quasi religious desire for power over people. A bit like the feminazis who have no interest in equality and fairness for all, but instead want power.[/QUOTE

I'm coming back as Rusty our beloved collie who died intact at 18 years old in front of the Rayburn in Orkney.
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:28 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
On another talk board a question was asked "Which animal would you like to come back as?"
I considered the options for various animals in Europe. Perhaps a pet dog or cat? No, I'd probably have my gonads cut off. A farm sheep, chicken or pig? No way, especially if I was factory-farmed, plus I'd be slaughtered in my first year or two. A wild bird? Very dodgy, if the cats didn't get me, the first cold winter probably would. A race-horse? Just avoid breaking your leg on a jump.
Anyway I soon realised that the life of a fighting bull in Spain (if you ignore the last 20 minutes) is probably one of the better options! There are better options (maybe a polar bear, an elephant or a penguin) but the life of a fighting bull is probably better than most animals in lands controlled by the human race. Which doesn't say a lot about us
You seem to be forgetting that a lot of cattle are raised for bull-beef these days,so they don't lose their credentials at an early age,many live a natural outdoor life and are then despatched as humanly as possible, rather than being tortured and stabbed to death.
However even better is the life of a stud bull running outside with 60 wives or so for his own personal pleasure or likewise a ram or tup as we call them enjoying a similar life of leisure and pleasure, whilst being extremely well pampered in between times....
Old May 2nd 2010, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
You seem to be forgetting that a lot of cattle are raised for bull-beef these days,so they don't lose their credentials at an early age,many live a natural outdoor life and are then despatched as humanly as possible, rather than being tortured and stabbed to death.
However even better is the life of a stud bull running outside with 60 wives or so for his own personal pleasure or likewise a ram or tup as we call them enjoying a similar life of leisure and pleasure, whilst being extremely well pampered in between times....
Where have you been? The poor young cows often with their female calves are driven around to primtive village squares where they are tormented by kids of all ages with wooden swords in enclosed spaces watched by proud parents who have paid for the priviledge. The highlight of this torment is when a young bullock is put in wearing a crown of lighted candles and runs berserk as the hot wax runs into his eyes. Any cow or calve who tries to escape to the safety of the pen is severly beaten with long canes by their keepers and are left with blood streaked sides. This was still happening in Oliva when I left 7 years ago. Several young men have been killed over the years so there is some kind of justice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.