Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Toros - tide turning?

Toros - tide turning?

Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toros - tide turning?

Originally Posted by Rotor
You could say but it would not be true ,Ive lived here a lot more years than you and have learnt a lot more as well it appears, I dont wear blinker`s either, Like I said ,idiot.
He does like to think he is the only that has any knowledge of Spain, doesn't he? I bet you even knew they produced wine in Jumilla!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
He does like to think he is the only that has any knowledge of Spain, doesn't he? I bet you even knew they produced wine in Jumilla!
Hey I learn something new everyday. I'm not a wine buff but have friends who are and have never heard them talk about Murcian wines
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Hey I learn something new everyday. I'm not a wine buff but have friends who are and have never heard them talk about Murcian wines
They were mainly known for growing very ordinary "wine" used a lot by other countries for blending, but according to the experts, they are slowing getting their act together and producing some decent stuff.
Today, Jumilla's wines, particularly its reds, are internationally recognized – some are sold as far away as China – and often make "best value" lists.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:50 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Fair enough, but a lot of foreigners miss the point about bullfighting. The matador/torero is not meant to be a hero. Noone sees him as a hero. In fact this isnt even a fight (in Spanish language). Bullfighting is an English word which implies a winner and loser, there is no such thing in the "corridas de toros" i.e. literally bull running!

Corridas de toros are about nobility and art in the journey to the death. It can be seen as a dance of death where the toreros/picadores etc help the bull on its way to die a noble and celebrated death.

A much more noble and celebrated death than being electrically stunned in a windowless cowshed or growing up in a 50 square cm prison and never seeing natural light in the 45 days of torrid, insipid torturous life. Yet still 90% of us all eat animal meat without worrying about all that.

People should grow up a bit!
In the "north of Spain, theie is not much following with the bulls.

I myself think it is terrible, I dont see it as art, sprot or entertainment.

To put a bull in a situation with a crowd crying out and cheering, must be bad enough.

I dont know about a noble death either, animals feel pain, and to have been "stabbed" various times and then staggering for what seems like an age, untill finally the big thrust that fishes the bull off, seems anything but noble to me.

I am also of the opinion that as we are in control as humans, whenever an animal has to be killed, for whatever reason, that we owe it to the animals and to ourselves to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Living in the UK the subject of bullfighting always came up, whenever anyone found out that we were Spainsh. I found it hard not to feel ashamed about it, even though I had never been to a bullfight.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:02 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

It does make the meat SO tender.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Answering what I'm reading here

First, before anything else, is respect. I do not like bulls, and I'm from southern Spain. But of course, must be respected, is an old tradition and can not be changed so easily. Nor do I accept moral lessons from outside Spain, because fox hunting is in the UK, Canadians cruelly kill baby seals (not equal to a bull more than 600 kg) or what the Japanese do with dolphins and whales, to name a few examples

I remember that there have always been bullfighting in Catalonia, and has never happened nothing. Interestingly, this is happening now, with this current govern of the PSOE in Catalonia, the govern of Montilla. Interestingly. And I remember that there are bulls in many other countries, like Mexico or France. Bullfighting in France is respected and defended even more than in Spain

Certainly, to say that in Catalonia "We are not Spain", this says a minority, not all Catalonia, ok? It is that is different, ok?

I repeat that I do not like (and I don't have to be Catalan so I do not like, because it seems that you think it's that in southern Spain we have bullfighting in the veins; because sincerly I don't know what strange prejudice is with Spain, especially with the south...) but simply I ask for respect and caution before an opinion on especially if you do not live here, because spain is not perfect, but the rest of the world neither is Disneyworld

Thanks

Last edited by Relampago; Apr 30th 2010 at 1:36 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

I have taught students from all walks of life and over the years I have never met any who approved of bullfighting. In fact most think it shows Spain in a bad light and is barbaric. This surely is a good sign for the future. There are only a small minority of Spanish people who attend bullfights. The big money is in South America.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
The big money is in South America.
Which is where Jose Tomas was gored. Mexico actually, which is possibly not considered to be South America, but which is where most of the Spanish "Bullfighters" work in the winter months.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 10:45 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
There are only a small minority of Spanish people who attend bullfights.

Not saying it's true but the tauromaquia media always claim that more people go to corridas than go to watch the footie in Spain.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 11:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatasia
Not saying it's true but the tauromaquia media always claim that more people go to corridas than go to watch the footie in Spain.
I would doubt that very much.
Football is popular absolutely everywhere.
There are large areas of Spain where bullfighting has virtually died out and even in the remaining strongholds, there are just limited numbers of major events which mostly only the well-healed can afford to attend.
I also get the impression that for many of those who do attend, its mainly because its the place to be seen.
Old May 1st 2010, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Cricketman - well expressed.
I don't bother to go to bullfights but don't have a knee-jerk reaction to them which is common with the Brits.
Not that all Brits are against the corrida; there is a British bullfighting club local to me with 250 members. Their webpage is at Club Taurino Mojácar.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I would doubt that very much.
Football is popular absolutely everywhere.
There are large areas of Spain where bullfighting has virtually died out and even in the remaining strongholds, there are just limited numbers of major events which mostly only the well-healed can afford to attend.
I also get the impression that for many of those who do attend, its mainly because its the place to be seen.
I live in one of the 'stronghold' areas and here it seems hard to believe that it might be dying out, although I'm glad to hear it might be.

The season is upon us and every week there are umpteen bullfights or rejorneos going on. They are extremely popular and people here are of the opinion that it will never be banned. I just keep my mouth shut!
Old May 1st 2010, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Veleta
The season is upon us and every week there are umpteen bullfights or rejorneos going on.
¿Rejorneo? Le sobra una erre.
Old May 1st 2010, 10:30 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

What next after they ban bullfights hmm?

I know what PeTa want.... they want, ultimately to ban pet ownership....
Old May 1st 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by agoreira
¿Rejorneo? Le sobra una erre.
Jaja, you use Vd. to address me? Wow, I'm impressed...thx. I must admit I NEVER use the Vd. form. Speaking anyway. I suppose if I'm writing a formal letter I make more of an effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.