Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Just a small thought. If you decided to rent a DT at the first service area (Olhao) pay your 27Euros + 10 Euros pre-pay. The rules say that you have to return the DT to the same place that you got it - but on the way back to Faro you are on the wrong carriageway so how the heck do you return it?

If the far-thinking Portuguese motorway operator were to open a 24-hour office in the airport - that might solve it (but think of the queues) - or instal some self-service transponder machines (if such a thing exists) in the airport mall.
If we have to rely on the CTT then we can only arrive in Portugal mid-week and during office hours - certainly not at weekends or during public holidays. If anyone finds a post office with a clerk that speaks reasonable English then post it on here
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Just a small thought. If you decided to rent a DT at the first service area (Olhao) pay your 27Euros + 10 Euros pre-pay. The rules say that you have to return the DT to the same place that you got it - but on the way back to Faro you are on the wrong carriageway so how the heck do you return it?

If the far-thinking Portuguese motorway operator were to open a 24-hour office in the airport - that might solve it (but think of the queues) - or instal some self-service transponder machines (if such a thing exists) in the airport mall.
If we have to rely on the CTT then we can only arrive in Portugal mid-week and during office hours - certainly not at weekends or during public holidays. If anyone finds a post office with a clerk that speaks reasonable English then post it on here

Awwww hell! More problems - thanks Mike

I posted on the Portugal thread some others that have come up to me as well. Like when you return the car at the airport how do you pay the charge - and will the cameras be real time for the non-transponder guys ??

Just have one glitch when you get to the airport IF theres an office there IF its open all hours..... and you cant pay. Result huge fines!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...15#post9249815

Also in your example even if you can return the transponder to the 'right' carriageway, you still have to use the m-way to get to the airport so there is a charge... and you dont have the transponder anymore!!

What a mess, Im sure that the more we think about this - the more issues will crop up.

I also hate leaving an open signed credit card voucher at the airport when I leave = blank cheque.

This bugs me more each day!! I have a new soapbox

Thanks
Jon
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Awwww hell! More problems - thanks Mike

I posted on the Portugal thread some others that have come up to me as well. Like when you return the car at the airport how do you pay the charge - and will the cameras be real time for the non-transponder guys ??

Just have one glitch when you get to the airport IF theres an office there IF its open all hours..... and you cant pay. Result huge fines!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...15#post9249815

Also in your example even if you can return the transponder to the 'right' carriageway, you still have to use the m-way to get to the airport so there is a charge... and you dont have the transponder anymore!!

What a mess, Im sure that the more we think about this - the more issues will crop up.

I also hate leaving an open signed credit card voucher at the airport when I leave = blank cheque.

This bugs me more each day!! I have a new soapbox

Thanks
Jon
Maybe you just need a hobby Regards Bryony
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

lusitano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If anyone finds a post office with a clerk that speaks reasonable English then post it on here

In "Portugal" the clerks at the "Portuguese" post offices speaks perfect "Portuguese" and most of them even speak reasonable English, as me.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Maybe you just need a hobby Regards Bryony

The problem is... one of our favourite hobbies is living in, and enjoying all that CE has to offer (and its a LOT) ...

We love it here .. for all sorts of reasons...

.............But.......

..............We fly and book a RENTAL CAR

Thats why I dug out the old soapbox!!

Thanks and see you soon

Jon
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lusitano
In "Portugal" the clerks at the "Portuguese" post offices speaks perfect "Portuguese" and most of them even speak reasonable English, as me.
Not quite sure what your point is. Are you suggesting that all tourists and visitors to Portugal - even those who stay and live in Spain - will have to learn Portuguese to pay tolls?
I'm having enough trouble learning Spanish, French and English
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:04 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Good God, I hope we dont get charged by the length, or I will get hammered.
Really ????
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
Really ????
Who is asking Mel or John?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:31 pm
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

Who is asking Mel or John?
Mel......John's just checking up on things somewhere !!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:10 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Mel......John's just checking up on things somewhere !!
OK Mel what do you want to know?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:19 am
MEL & JOHN

OK Mel what do you want to know?
It was a rhetorical question only so I'll believe what you what to think.

Mel
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:09 am
BE Positive

It was a rhetorical question only so I'll believe what you what to think.

Mel
Remember, Mel, often the guys that boast about it.... are only really committing 'wishful thinking'
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Read about it here
This will not go away as it is part of a bigger plan. In the North of Portugal these tolls (or tools) were introduced back in October 2010.
This link sent to me by the portuguese tourist board explains all.
http://www.visitportugal.com/NR/exer...,frameless.htm .

Kim
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Woodzie

Kim
Hi Kim

Im not sure this really answers the concerns people have .... now I hear that we can pay from 2 days. So what happens when we go home to the airport? We will be returning the car a few mins after.

If a vehicle does not have an electronic device when circulating at the highways concerned, a photo of the license plate will be made and saved until the payment is made.
Term for payment: the payment can be made at the second day after having circulated at the roads mentioned above and for a period of five weekdays, at the post office or at one of the shops signalized as “Payshop”.

I dont think there is a payshop today at the airport. I use payshops for the internet service and couldnt do it at the airport. And anyway they need 2 days to process the photos. No good if youvve just come off.

So this option is out. So is the prepaid credit.

So we buy an electronic license plate 27 euros + 10 (min). Can we give it back on the other side of the m-way to where we bought it? And what about the cameras at the exit after the service station - and at the turnoff to the airport? Will they charge? Likewise when we arrive what happens on the m-way bit between the junction and the station?

Temp device - sounds the best as we get a refund on the device - but have to guess what we have used and what we will need. Again what happens once we give it in and carry on the mway to the airport. (+Vice versa coming in). I would prefer to overload it, IF I could get a refund on the prepaid as well.

The only sure fire way is to buy and carry with you always the Devices from a toll entity BUT do they accept Spanish accounts? If they do we are OK - but dont forget to bring it with you each time.

However the Car rental companies cant accept this - so they will want to keep credit cards open just in case.

This remains a terrible system and I can see many people getting in trouble... it will also discourage the Spanish crossing the border.

It doesnt work in practice as I can see it.

Jon
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:30 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Woodzie

Kim
Hi Kim

Could you share the email address please? That you used to contact the tourist board.

Perhaps if they get an email from a lot of us - they will start to understand!

Thanks again
Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.