Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by PaulHut
border control have card option payment but does not always work or manned, when busy August 4 staff working there. There is no need to get one before travel just when you get to garage pay for dates you are travelling and returning save you time. I keep all my receipts had no problems.
Hi, also you will have a Portuguese reg car and the Toll Station is only for foreign reg cars eg Spanish etc and yes it is Olhao Services.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:34 am
Just Joined

PaulHut is on a distinguished road

I believe so.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:57 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Are these options available for PT reg cars or only for foreign reg vehicles ?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

My understanding is that if you have a Portuguese registered car such as a hire car from Faro airport you can't use the machine at border control which is only for foreign registered cars. Nor can you pay in advance. You have to wait until between 2 and 5 days after the trip and pay at a paypoint or post office. So you can pay for your trip from the airport but not the trip back again. If this has changed I would be very pleased to hear it.
Kath
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Last time out we had a hire car without a transponder so elected to pay at the Post Office for the outbound trip and use the N135 for the return. Which works well normally, the N135 is not too bad and if it is busy then one can divert at Tavira onto the Sao Bras/Alportel route.
Unfortunately we got caught with a previous hirer's unpaid toll and ended up paying 13€ for a 5€ toll

The Olhao service area option sounds the best if you can get a ticket for each single journey on a Portugal registration hire car. I confess I haven't tried it myself.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Unfortunately we got caught with a previous hirer's unpaid toll and ended up paying 13€ for a 5€ toll
Did you not take it up with the hire company??
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Did you not take it up with the hire company??
Unfortunately we had an early flight so it was "keys on the visor" return. Life's too short to attempt to get recompense remotely I put it down as a lesson learned at not too big a cost (8€).

When we picked up the car we had asked the rentco what the proceedure for tolls was. He just shrugged and said nobody pays anyway and if there was a follow up he would charge my card! Won't use a company without a transponder again. [NB: I didn't source this rental through Economy Cars - they had nothing available at short notice in the summer]

If anyone wants to know the name of the rentco then pm me as I don't want to publish in an open forum for obvious reasons.

Last edited by MikeJ; Sep 7th 2013 at 8:28 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

GerryW is on a distinguished road

I was in Portugal a few weeks back, and was hoping to pop into CE to visit our plot and see how the site was doing - villa build wise - then off to Ayamonte for the rest of the day. Having read a lot of stuff on the Toll I decided to put it in the WTF bucket and went to Vilamoura in Portugal instead which took quite a lot of my hard earned cash - which could have been spent in Spain. Ah well - when Spain etc sorts it's *** out I will pop across. Until then ...Adios!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

You could have taken the ferry from Vila Real to Ayamonte with the car and paid what ever paltry sum they charge for the privilege The tolls are on Portuguese roads so they will have to sort it out not the Spanish.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Last time out we had a hire car without a transponder so elected to pay at the Post Office for the outbound trip and use the N135 for the return. Which works well normally, the N135 is not too bad and if it is busy then one can divert at Tavira onto the Sao Bras/Alportel route.

The Olhao service area option sounds the best if you can get a ticket for each single journey on a Portugal registration hire car. I confess I haven't tried it myself.
Hi MikeJ
Thats what I normally do. When I went to the P.O at Castro Marim to pay, the lady listed the dates that came up as unpaid and I was able to pay just mine. The kiosk on the prom. near the ferry stop in Vila Real is not able to offer this breakdown service, they just have all fees due against any given car and cant take part payment. Did the PO not offer you this option?
Kim
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Woodzie
Hi MikeJ
Thats what I normally do. When I went to the P.O at Castro Marim to pay, the lady listed the dates that came up as unpaid and I was able to pay just mine. The kiosk on the prom. near the ferry stop in Vila Real is not able to offer this breakdown service, they just have all fees due against any given car and cant take part payment. Did the PO not offer you this option?
Kim
I went to the Pay Shop in VRSA main square - the PO was closed! Glad to know that you can select the dates at the PO. I had my rental agreement with me to do just that, although in the event the copy was so faint it was indecipherable.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I am considering a visit in the near future and would like to know if it is still possible to come off the A22 at the second junction to go to Altura without paying the toll?

Too longer thread to check back
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

cleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant futurecleverdic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I am considering a visit in the near future and would like to know if it is still possible to come off the A22 at the second junction to go to Altura without paying the toll?

Too longer thread to check back
Yes, that's possible. No toll to pay. (assuming you are coming from the Spanish end of course)
Old Oct 11th 2013, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cleverdic
Yes, that's possible. No toll to pay. (assuming you are coming from the Spanish end of course)
Thanks

Too longer