Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

They're all useless.

They're all useless.

Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:11 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: They're all useless.

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Although there is some overlap in the usage, You are in fact right, I stand corrected.
So is a miserable old sod an unsociable barsteward or an unsocial one, both sound OK to me?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:19 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
So is a miserable old sod an unsociable barsteward or an unsocial one, both sound OK to me?
They both sound ok to me, and so does anti social

I guess it Depends if you have nitpickers around you
Old Nov 9th 2011, 7:26 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

They both sound ok to me, and so does anti social

I guess it Depends if you have nitpickers around you
sshh dont let bil hear you.......
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:04 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair to some unemployed,
The Government makes rules and companies find loopholes to get around them.

Too many Major stores and companies only take on part time staff or agency workers to save money.

The Uk has become full of employment agencies. Agency workers, many (not all) have no contracts and can be simply told we don't need you tomorrow and that's their job gone. No holiday pay, sick or NI to pay.

I wonder if this is why many don't want to work for them, unsociable hours at normal rates isn't fair either. I believe it when they say theres jobs out there, I think they are mostly this type.
Can i ask how you know all this seeing as you claim to never read the UK news, are you in the UK
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
The fact that we still have so many able ppl who are unwilling to work and can afford not to do so simply emphasises what a Nanny state the UK has become and why so many would be immigrants risk their necks to reach our shores.
Why not gradually reduce the benefits of those unwilling to work to a point where it's in their own best interests to do so ?
I doubt very much they'd continue to refuse work to a point where they begin to feel hunger pangs.
understand Dick but that would lead to a problem because reducing the benefits would hit those who need them as well as those who can't live without them (if that make sense).

I know of a woman with 4 kids, lives in private rental, takes home the eqvt of over £24k salary before tax. She hasnt worked for over 15 years (the age of her eldest) and the youngest is 18m old. What incentive to work, but is quite happy to go to nightclubs on a Friday and Saturday with sister who is in the same situation. Her "boyfriend" lives with her, works as a security guard, but is on the electoral roll at his grandparents house. That way they keep the snoops from the door. So as a welfare family have over £40k coming in, 48inch tele, full surround sound, american fridge and freezer,
Explain that to the little old lady a few doors down who cannot afford to heat her house except the room she lives and sleeps in. Winter fuel payment doesnt go far when you live with a 2kw bar heater and cannot afford to heat the water to wash yourself and clothes, as much as you want to.

The question is who would be most hurt by your reduction in benefits, which are a one size fits all.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
understand Dick but that would lead to a problem because reducing the benefits would hit those who need them as well as those who can't live without them (if that make sense).

I know of a woman with 4 kids, lives in private rental, takes home the eqvt of over £24k salary before tax. She hasnt worked for over 15 years (the age of her eldest) and the youngest is 18m old. What incentive to work, but is quite happy to go to nightclubs on a Friday and Saturday with sister who is in the same situation. Her "boyfriend" lives with her, works as a security guard, but is on the electoral roll at his grandparents house. That way they keep the snoops from the door. So as a welfare family have over £40k coming in, 48inch tele, full surround sound, american fridge and freezer,
Explain that to the little old lady a few doors down who cannot afford to heat her house except the room she lives and sleeps in. Winter fuel payment doesnt go far when you live with a 2kw bar heater and cannot afford to heat the water to wash yourself and clothes, as much as you want to.

The question is who would be most hurt by your reduction in benefits, which are a one size fits all.
The solution would be,and I think that it has been put forward already,is to limit the maximum benefit payout to 25k a year,no matter how many children are in the family-
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:21 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Can i ask how you know all this seeing as you claim to never read the UK news, are you in the UK
I can't believe you are reading the same thread as me, even after I pointed out your mistake once, you still misinterpret what I type. Can you please point out where I said I don't read English news?

I watch all the news channels on TV, I am an avid news reader infact, and often read news on line.
Let me make it clear to you what I said "I have not seen an english news paper for years" that would obviously translate to not buying one either.

I know all this because it's exactly how it was when I left years ago.

Don't tell me it's gotten any better, and now everyone looking for a job will get a contract and supermarkets don't have shifts of part timers all day every day, oh and all agenices have closed down. Coz I won't believe you.

Last edited by anonimouse; Nov 9th 2011 at 8:34 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:21 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Too many Major stores and companies only take on part time staff or agency workers to save money.

The Uk has become full of employment agencies. Agency workers, many (not all) have no contracts and can be simply told we don't need you tomorrow and that's their job gone. No holiday pay, sick or NI to pay.

I wonder if this is why many don't want to work for them, unsociable hours at normal rates isn't fair either. I believe it when they say theres jobs out there, I think they are mostly this type.
I remember the row I had with my management when I reviewed the salaries of our contract security guards. yes they put the hours in, a 14 hour night shift with no noticable break (!) and all weekend from 6pm Friday to 0800 Monday split between 2.
My arguement was how can you expect to retain a good, diligent worker being paid NMW for a night shift. It took me 5 years of small increments but I did manage to get them out of the pit. Good staff are hard to come by and it should be recognised within the budget forecast irrespective. Why pay the day office staff a 7% increase but the people who maintain the security of a 24 hour operation only 1% increase.

rant over
rgds
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:24 pm

The solution would be,and I think that it has been put forward already,is to limit the maximum benefit payout to 25k a year,no matter how many children are in the family-
Oh come on Rodney, that won't work, HB is based on the rent not on a fixed amount.
restricting a household of 6 kids would be discrimination
they all need the same amount to feed and clothe them irrespective
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on Rodney, that won't work, HB is based on the rent not on a fixed amount.
Yes, but to do a J Kyle, why have 'em if you can't afford 'em? (and yes, yes, I know this doesn't apply to all larger families but it sure as heck does to more than some....)
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:30 pm

I think you will find that employment law has moved on a tad since the Dark Ages when you last got involved.
All temp staff are employed by the agency who have to take tax and NI from their salaries, issueing P45 when a period of employment ceases.
Holidays should also be included, but unlike perm staff they can take it as cash payment if it is only a few days.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:32 pm

Don't some in the London area claim more than this in Rent and council tax on top of benefits?
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:35 pm
Banned

Ok R.sole, (while you call me Rodney and I refer to you as this) if working people cant afford 6 kids why should someone without a job be able to, and get more and more money with no limit on family size without being accountable and being made to pay in some way for supporting their own brood.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw
Yes, but to do a J Kyle, why have 'em if you can't afford 'em? (and yes, yes, I know this doesn't apply to all larger families but it sure as heck does to more than some....)
think about it, having a kid every 4 years isnt (usually) to much of a strain on the body, it keeps everyone in the benefits round without too many questions as they only get arsey when the kids are all at school leaving free time to do a part time job.

It is a lifestyle, if she is getting say, £15k pa tax free, plus the income from the live in (but registered elsewhere) boyfriend at say £20k, then it is clover time.
they have no "skills" but could tell you they have motherhood, dealing with small children, balancing tight budgets, etc etc, just no use in a real time company environment. One I met didnt even know what Microsoft Office Suite was, it was after her time. But had a better mobile than I did. She had a contract, me on PAYGO.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Ok R.sole, (while you call me Rodney and I refer to you as this) if working people cant afford 6 kids why should someone without a job be able to, and get more and more money with no limit on family size without being accountable and being made to pay in some way for supporting their own brood.
Yip. Post 55.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.