Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Terrorism and torture.

Terrorism and torture.

Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:40 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorism and torture.

Originally Posted by bil
If I thought that torture were acceptable, I'd be happy to do it. Since I am not happy to torture someone myself, I could not be happy delegating that chore to someone else.

When I had people working with me, we had to go into many homes, some of them down right disgusting. My instructions to them was this. You do not have to go into any situation that I would not be happy going into.

C'mon, this scenario just doesn't float. In reality no-one would ever get such concrete information that a terrorist act was going to happen. You and others are just desperate to get me to say torture is acceptable, and it isn't.

All we ever get is vague warnings and vague lists, and the fact is that no-one in the real world would ever have such a safe target to torture.

Just what would be the chances that a) you got even a half defined tip, and b) your family happened to be on that plane.

As if.
I am not saying that my senario would happen, I was putting an extreme example, as you say to measure you scruples in a way.

Ok now we kiow that yours are 100 percent in tact, wheras mine are somewhat lacking.

If a kidnapper had my son locked in a coffin underground with a couple of hours of air left, then I would like him to be tortured, in whatever way, till he talked, if he didnt, well at least I would know that I tried everything in my power to save her, you would not, fair enough.

It may be some conslolation it may not.
You have more scruples than me, I bow to you..........but I wonder what you wife feels......
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:48 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I am not saying that my senario would happen, I was putting an extreme example, as you say to measure you scruples in a way.

Ok now we kiow that yours are 100 percent in tact, wheras mine are somewhat lacking.

If a kidnapper had my son locked in a coffin underground with a couple of hours of air left, then I would like him to be tortured, in whatever way, till he talked, if he didnt, well at least I would know that I tried everything in my power to save her, you would not, fair enough.

It may be some conslolation it may not.
You have more scruples than me, I bow to you..........but I wonder what you wife feels......
You simply put forward a ridiculous scenario.

Now had you asked me what I would do if hurting someone would realistically save my child, ahhhhh. Now that I would enjoy, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:52 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Oh c'mon. This is seriously bogus. You stick me in the position of being able to okay the torture of a suspect, but won't consider yourself in that seat?

Just what it has to do with the examples you suggest? As a point of reference, if it helps, well, me I always clear my own blocked drains. It's an easy job, if a tad whiffy, and I'm damned if I am handing a small fortune to Dynorod to do it.
Listen bil, I dont know what circles you move in, but I am never consulted when anything about G.tanamo or rendition flights have been involved in torture, same way as I was not consulted when the Bank of England did quantative easing, or cuts in the NHS budget in the UK.

I can still have an opinion though
and if I did belive that the NHS needs to have the budget cut, that does not mean that I want to personally be involved in the cutting, as in sacking nurses and cancelling operations, it is someone elses domain, and it always will never be my domain, the same with torture.

Well I think "each to his own" I would rather pay a fortune to Dynarod than get my hands dirty, Let them suck it up and deal with it.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
You simply put forward a ridiculous scenario.

Now had you asked me what I would do if hurting someone would realistically save my child, ahhhhh. Now that I would enjoy, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

That is another point on which we differ, I would certainly hurt someone who was hurting my child, but in no way would I enjoy it.

I woud see it as something that had to be done, a necessary evil if you like, not as a form of entertainment to be enjoyed and revelled in.......
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:58 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
he couldn't get in, tho he was very, very forceful.... .
I love how things work out sometimes ya know....
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:00 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Listen bil, I dont know what circles you move in, but I am never consulted when anything about G.tanamo or rendition flights have been involved in torture, same way as I was not consulted when the Bank of England did quantative easing, or cuts in the NHS budget in the UK.

I can still have an opinion though
and if I did belive that the NHS needs to have the budget cut, that does not mean that I want to personally be involved in the cutting, as in sacking nurses and cancelling operations, it is someone elses domain, and it always will never be my domain, the same with torture.

Well I think "each to his own" I would rather pay a fortune to Dynarod than get my hands dirty, Let them suck it up and deal with it.

Dude, you placed me in the position where I got to OK torture. In that theoretical position I wouldn't authorise it because I would have no faith in the system, and besides in a rational state, no way could I approve it.

I tried to put you in a similar, but theoretical position, but you won't try it for size.

Here's one for you. You have the person who has done you great harm, and there is no way that you can be punished for what you do.

How far would you go? Remember, no-one will ever punish you.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:01 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I love how things work out sometimes ya know....
I wa just lucky that the bath was the right distance, and I could get in position fast enough.

The lesson? In boarding schools, never go into a toilet or bathroom without a sound lock.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:03 pm
bil
Banned

That is another point on which we differ, I would certainly hurt someone who was hurting my child, but in no way would I enjoy it.

I woud see it as something that had to be done, a necessary evil if you like, not as a form of entertainment to be enjoyed and revelled in.......
Really? I'd really enjoy it. I'd want that their worst enemy would weep over what I had done to them, because at that point I'd feel I was really getting into my swing.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Dude, you placed me in the position where I got to OK torture. In that theoretical position I wouldn't authorise it because I would have no faith in the system, and besides in a rational state, no way could I approve it.

I tried to put you in a similar, but theoretical position, but you won't try it for size.

Here's one for you. You have the person who has done you great harm, and there is no way that you can be punished for what you do.

How far would you go? Remember, no-one will ever punish you.
Of course I woud have a go at him, I would try my best to come out as the winner and try to hurt him more than he could hurt me, I might even shoot him, depending on the harm he did to me..........And?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:59 pm
bil
Banned

Of course I woud have a go at him, I would try my best to come out as the winner and try to hurt him more than he could hurt me, I might even shoot him, depending on the harm he did to me..........And?
Me, I'm a pussycat. I only kill the rats because they do harm here, but in all honesty I'd rather cut a deal with them.

Someone who freed me by destroying all I had? I'd be free to do anything as I then had nothing to lose. I'd ensure when people came across what I had done, hardened police officers would lose their lunch on the spot.

I once knew a right wing xtian who hated seeing the unemployed relaxing on the beach. His attitude (seriously) was that only people who worked and/or paid taxes should be allowed to enjoy such things. The unemployed should be locked in windowless rooms until they got a job.

His world would consist of gated communities with only the deserving permitted luxury. I did point out that he had better pray that people like me were on the inside and enjoying the good things, but apparantly I lacked the religious qualifications to enter his particular paradise.

So, I pointed out to him that one day someone like me would breach his walls.

On that day, I would destroy his world with him alive to watch what I did with all he held dear. Finally, I would carefully remove his liver, barbecue it in front of his eyes and eat it.

Then I'd turn nasty.

A man with nothing to lose is a very, very dangerous person.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Me, I'm a pussycat. I only kill the rats because they do harm here, but in all honesty I'd rather cut a deal with them.

Someone who freed me by destroying all I had? I'd be free to do anything as I then had nothing to lose. I'd ensure when people came across what I had done, hardened police officers would lose their lunch on the spot.

I once knew a right wing xtian who hated seeing the unemployed relaxing on the beach. His attitude (seriously) was that only people who worked and/or paid taxes should be allowed to enjoy such things. The unemployed should be locked in windowless rooms until they got a job.
His world would consist of gated communities with only the deserving permitted luxury. I did point out that he had better pray that people like me were on the inside and enjoying the good things, but apparantly I lacked the religious qualifications to enter his particular paradise.

So, I pointed out to him that one day someone like me would breach his walls.

On that day, I would destroy his world with him alive to watch what I did with all he held dear. Finally, I would carefully remove his liver, barbecue it in front of his eyes and eat it.

Then I'd turn nasty.

A man with nothing to lose is a very, very dangerous person.
A very wise man, i hope you pointed out to him that it is very difficult to get a job if you are locked in a windowless room........

But getting back to the topic in hand, of terrorism and torture, I dont think we can equate it with being left alone in a room to slug it out with someone who has done you harm.

I still think that torture, could be justified in certain circumstances, not as a matter of course, but as a last resort,some of these sods can be quiet dagerous you know.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, you overlook the fact that I would not be sure that that was the best method.

I would not torture him. I would hardly be in that position, because the State could never trust someone like me to slavishly follow its orders. Why use people like me who actually had scruples, when people like Jackytoo would probably pay good money for the priviledge of torturing someone who was guilty of looking a bit muslim?

I'm reminded of what someone once said.

"Given the choice between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I pray to god that I would have the moral fibre to betray my country."

I'll go with that thought.
As I expected, unable to give a straight answer to a straight question.

Your attempt to wriggle out of it by altering the circumstances doesn't wash with me at all.

It's easy enough for do-gooders to have a fine code of ethics and preach to everyone what is right and what is wrong,... but put them at the sharp end of proceedings where they themselves have to accept some responsiblity for thousands of lives and they tend to fail miserably.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:38 pm
bil
Banned

A very wise man, i hope you pointed out to him that it is very difficult to get a job if you are locked in a windowless room........

But getting back to the topic in hand, of terrorism and torture, I dont think we can equate it with being left alone in a room to slug it out with someone who has done you harm.

I still think that torture, could be justified in certain circumstances, not as a matter of course, but as a last resort,some of these sods can be quiet dagerous you know.
Oh, he'd let them out to go to interviews....

You miss the point. The state hasn't got a ******* clue most of the time, and only have diffuse targets to aim at. Under those circumstances, torture is a very unreliable tool.

The scenario put forward where you know 100%? Yeah, and we'd get to go home on the flying pigs that were passing at the time.

Personal torture, done to someone who has deliberately and cruelly wronged you, now that's different. That's personal.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:43 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
As I expected, unable to give a straight answer to a straight question.

Your attempt to wriggle out of it by altering the circumstances doesn't wash with me at all.

It's easy enough for do-gooders to have a fine code of ethics and preach to everyone what is right and what is wrong,... but put them at the sharp end of proceedings where they themselves have to accept some responsiblity for thousands of lives and they tend to fail miserably.
I thought I'd been pretty straight, but in an attempt to humour you.

Torture isn't any use unless you have a damn good idea that they are terrorists, and a damn good idea of what they are up to and with whom. At that point, who needs torture? As I have said, the likelihood of you being in a position to stop a 9-11 by simply torturing a single muslim is so unlikely as to be derisory.

What's the sh'ite with "have to accept some responsiblity for thousands of lives and they tend to fail miserably"

No-one here realistically is ever going to be in such a position, let alone anyone who has the slightest moral scruples.

The fact is, I wouldn't trust anyone in government with the right to torture, and torture as a tool of government is morally unacceptable, and of dubious efficacy.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I hadn't have read this thread now, I'm sure to have nightmares.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.