Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Terrorism and torture.

Terrorism and torture.

Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:38 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Terrorism and torture.

I watched the BBC2 programme last night and didn’t know which side to side with. The former head of the CIA suggested that the information gained through inhuman torture prevented further acts of terrorism, while those opposing him warned that it only provided recruitment material for even more terrorism.

The former head of MI6 with the double barrelled name, in typical British fashion, sat on the fence, but admitted that the London tube bombings were the result of home-grown radicalism because of the Iraq war and the torture of suspects.

I could tell that both were being economical with the truth, the CIA man’s face twitched according to the enormity of his lies, and the English Lady averted her eyes and spoke out of the side of her mouth when the porkies became too much for her.

Having thought about it for nine years or more, I’m going to join the English lady and sit on the fence. Instead of ranting about a man being water boarded 183 times in a month, I’m going to remember that the same man cut the American’s head off on film, and his knife wasn’t particularly sharp.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:52 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrorism and torture.

Originally Posted by HBG
I watched the BBC2 programme last night and didn’t know which side to side with. The former head of the CIA suggested that the information gained through inhuman torture prevented further acts of terrorism, while those opposing him warned that it only provided recruitment material for even more terrorism.

The former head of MI6 with the double barrelled name, in typical British fashion, sat on the fence, but admitted that the London tube bombings were the result of home-grown radicalism because of the Iraq war and the torture of suspects.

I could tell that both were being economical with the truth, the CIA man’s face twitched according to the enormity of his lies, and the English Lady averted her eyes and spoke out of the side of her mouth when the porkies became too much for her.

Having thought about it for nine years or more, I’m going to join the English lady and sit on the fence. Instead of ranting about a man being water boarded 183 times in a month, I’m going to remember that the same man cut the American’s head off on film, and his knife wasn’t particularly sharp.
There are various issues with torture, on theory is that suspects will say anything to make it stop, so the information could be totally false.

I am not sure if anyone would have the mind power to lie under such circumstance, but it is possible.

I dont buy the theory that the tube bombers did not like what was goin on in Iraq, and so blew themselves and the inocent commuters up. There is a lot more to it than that. Like systematic brainwashing from their leaders.

If torture is not the way, I have heard so much about the truth drug, would this not be possible, is it effective, I have no idea, but it does sound like a more efficient and cleaner way of getting information.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
There are various issues with torture, on theory is that suspects will say anything to make it stop, so the information could be totally false.

I am not sure if anyone would have the mind power to lie under such circumstance, but it is possible.

I dont buy the theory that the tube bombers did not like what was goin on in Iraq, and so blew themselves and the inocent commuters up. There is a lot more to it than that. Like systematic brainwashing from their leaders.

If torture is not the way, I have heard so much about the truth drug, would this not be possible, is it effective, I have no idea, but it does sound like a more efficient and cleaner way of getting information.

Just to put my two-penny worth in; torture is NEVER acceptable behaviour, no matter how you justify it!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:18 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Just to put my two-penny worth in; torture is NEVER acceptable behaviour, no matter how you justify it!
Even though I am against torture, there are some circumstances where it is justified, that is the ugly truth.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I am against torture, there are some circumstances where it is justified, that is the ugly truth.
If information gained through torture could prevent the blowing up of an aircratft, or the bombing of a tube station, and thus saving hundreds of lives, I wouldn't have a problem justifying it either.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
If information gained through torture could prevent the blowing up of an aircratft, or the bombing of a tube station, and thus saving hundreds of lives, I wouldn't have a problem justifying it either.
No me neither.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with Snikpoh, JLFS and,Agoreira. This dichotomy is the reason that I am pleased not to have to take these decisions. I think that the major problem is that the goalposts are moved and torture is then used as an everyday means and so we would have a police or military type of state.
If you told me that to torture someone would save the lives of fifty others I think that I would have to agree although it shames me to say it.
The problem is that life is not black and white no matter how much we would like it to be.
Graham
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:33 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

So, the terrorists have finally dragged us down to their barbarian ways.

Err JLFS, that means you are in favour of torture.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:59 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I would not lose any sleep over torturing terrorists whose only aim is to bomb and maim anyone who is not muslim. Waterboarding is too lenient for them!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:16 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I would not lose any sleep over torturing terrorists whose only aim is to bomb and maim anyone who is not muslim. Waterboarding is too lenient for them!
That's a classic. Such enthusiastic support for an inhuman act marks you out as a special person.

Do pray tell, what precisely is the difference between you and a psychopath?

I watch with disgust those who describe waterboarding as 'a bit of fun' or 'hazing'. Bastards. I'd love to make them watch one of their children being extensively waterboarded. no probs, eh? After all it would only be a 'bit of fun'.

A person under torture will tell you what they think you want to hear.

A couple of people here have stood up and said what is right and proper, that torture is never acceptable, if only because in taking that step we show ourselves to be as bad as those we struggle against.

Then others come up with the weak and pathetic justification. 'Oh, but if it saves a single life then it is worth it.'

Given the number of times that police get the wrong person, given that most of these terrorist acts that are committed come from nowhere, you would have to torture an awful lot of people, and you would get a lot of conflicting information.

Plus, and this is a biggie, the atmosphere in which torture is acceptable 'under certain circumstances' leads to the kind of abuse we see in the US, where rendition flights take suspects to places like Syria to be tortured. One case was of a man who had the misfortune to have the same surname as a terrorist, or was distantly related, or they thought he was. That I can't remember. He ended up in a small cage, where he spent a year being tortured by the Syrians, who are neither reknowned for empathy or restraint in this field. After a year the Syrians had to admit he was innocent.

We all know (if we have a brain) that we can't trust governments of any stripe, and if we give them an inch, they will take a yard. So, in the case of torture we have to deny them that inch, and say that torture is unacceptable in any country that calls itself civilised.

Jacky, I almost hope that a child of yours would end up in a cage under Syrian care for a year, never knowing when or if the torture would end, because that, I suspect would be the only way you would ever learn that torture has fallout that is unnaceptable.

You strike me as one who considers that empathy is so valuable it should never be wasted on others.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:22 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't give a toss what you think...don't you get fed up of quoting and singling me out when others have said the same
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:46 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't give a toss what you think...don't you get fed up of quoting and singling me out when others have said the same
I think it's possibly because of the way you appear to not give a toss about anybody other than yourself on so many occasions.

You were simply the last one in the list to which I was posting, and to me the one most in favour with the least reservations. If you don't want to pointed out as an arse, don't act like one.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
I think it's possibly because of the way you appear to not give a toss about anybody other than yourself on so many occasions.

You were simply the last one in the list to which I was posting, and to me the one most in favour with the least reservations. If you don't want to pointed out as an arse, don't act like one.

No, it was because she is a woman that you chose to attack her.
You do it every time.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:52 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
No, it was because she is a woman.
Is that the mysogny card I see being played?

Nope, it's because to me she comes across as stupid, endorsing torture, and lacking in empathy.

Perhaps as a woman you could explain how it is that a woman could act like that when you are supposed to be nurturing, caring and so on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.