Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tell me what's really different.

Tell me what's really different.

Old Feb 8th 2011, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me what's really different.

I really don't understand why most of my Spanish neighbours, whose houses are very clean and who sweep and mop the pavement in front of their houses every day, are then quite happy to drop litter in the street and stand by whilst their children do the same and not tell them not to do it. The two thngs just don't go together, IMO!

One other thing I have noticed is that Spanish people seem to be much more direct in the questions they ask, even of people they don't know (such as how much do you earn, what did you pay for your house, etc which most British people would regard as intrusive, and they are also very outspoken in the comments they make like telling someone they have put on weight, for example.
I was quite taken aback by this at first, but am used to it now!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I really don't understand why most of my Spanish neighbours, whose houses are very clean and who sweep and mop the pavement in front of their houses every day, are then quite happy to drop litter in the street and stand by whilst their children do the same and not tell them not to do it. The two thngs just don't go together, IMO!

One other thing I have noticed is that Spanish people seem to be much more direct in the questions they ask, even of people they don't know (such as how much do you earn, what did you pay for your house, etc which most British people would regard as intrusive, and they are also very outspoken in the comments they make like telling someone they have put on weight, for example.
Yes I cannot understand the mentality of cleaning the street but allowing the children to throw their rubbish down. I lost 11 kilos in a month when my husband was first ill and one lady ran up to me in the main street grabbed hold of the top I was wearing and showed me how big it was on me. Like you I was taken aback at their forthrighness initially but must admit that when this occurred I had more than got used to it and had a good laugh with her about how baggy all my clothes were.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:14 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dios41
The only people in EspaƱa who speak using a lisp are in fact Andalucians. The rest of the Spanish people definitely do not speak with a lisp. I hope that you live in Andalucia, or you have wasted your time learning to lisp like it.
You don't really know much about Spain do you?
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dios41
Sorry is that RETIRED or retard? I'm after differences between Brits and Spanish and nothing else, I didn't want to insult anyone, but seeing as you obviously don't mind, Check out the initial thread subject again.

I just wanted to start a thread to find out exactly what people feel are the difference between British and Spanish people. Whether it be a big or small difference, please feel free to join in and let us know.

And it's Shall we run a book on what he was before? because who is me, and strangely enough I've always been me.
There is only one retard on here mate and I am replying to him now.
I did check out the post and understood it to be a strange first post.
In fact it is spot on the post that a troll would make, this was enforced by your replies to cricketman post 20 and johnyone post 24 and a few others.
The reason I said about the book was cos it`s so obvious you are an old member returning to troll.
No new member in their right mind would start a thread with your sweeping statements infering that everyone in Spain is living in a noisy shithole.

Was it me that banned you before.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

dios41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimenato
You don't really know much about Spain do you?
Okay why don't you ask someone who has far more experience. You will be told the same.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
In fact it is spot on the post that a troll would make, this was enforced by your replies to cricketman post 20 and johnyone post 24 and a few others.
The reason I said about the book was cos it`s so obvious you are an old member returning to troll.
No new member in their right mind would start a thread with your sweeping statements infering that everyone in Spain is living in a noisy shithole.

Sorry retard I have obviously upset you. Ban me if you like. I have never been on this forum before, and certainly wouldn't bother again because of knobs like you.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Don't worry mate, there are a few retardy cliques with a few hundred thousand posts between them, unfortunately not too many brain cells to rub together.
I tend to lurk so as to avoid engaging with them on a regular basis. Your thread is of course valid and has produced some interesting ideas.

I'm signing off Goaty, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same.
It's a shame but there are a distinctive lack of brain cells here for me to hang around.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:01 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

I cant believe that you can be allowed to be so unbelieveably rude or that you can actually be unpleasant enough to post something like that on a public forum. Old member or not, you really dont show yourself to be any better.

Jo
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I cant believe that you can be allowed to be so unbelieveably rude or that you can actually be unpleasant enough to post something like that on a public forum. Old member or not, you really dont show yourself to be any better.

Jo
Totally agree with you Jo. I am so very glad that none of my friends read their sad childish rubbish.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, someone joins up with the user name of God and the first thread they start ends up in a cat fight with the old rivalries being opened up and the site starts to look bitchy and uninviting... who would have thought it eh? How strange.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:48 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

I would say the very opposite of your opinion about Spanish and money.

For most Spanish the subject of money is taboo, in all walks of life.

If you every try to phone about aproperty for sale by the owners, they will not tell you the price, they will want to see you for a viewing, and will show you everything about the house before getting down to the nitty gritty of the price.

The same goes for rentals, I am not talking about rentals from an agent but owners.

I have seen lots of cars for sale in Spain and the UK with a notice taped to the side window with the contact detail, phone number etc in both countries, but you will hardly every see the asking price writted on the Spanish car, unless the owner is foreign generally.

Job section in the local papers in Spain, hardly ever put the salary, and you are expected to go for an interview before they will tell you, which could be complete waste of time as the job might pay less than you are already earning, but there is no other way to find out without attending the interview.

And even when the Spanish do open up about monmey most will still talk in pesetas, eg I am selling it for 5 million.

You never hear the British talk in shilling and pence.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:33 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I am in general not a forum person and only contribute on two, BE Spain because I live in Spain and the other forum is regarding an interest of mine and I must say that the only one of the two which has trolls, nasty comments and general aggro is this one.

People may start an interesting thread but the posts worth reading are very few in comparrison with the one upmanship that occurs.

This is my only contact with Brits in Spain and the more I read the more that I am glad that I made the decision to live with Spanish people.

Rosemary
I have to agree with everything you say, and also in your next post's too.

I keep in touch with Spain and when I read this forum, I sometimes feel a little depressed about returning, however I think you will find that most of the unpleasant ones would be very different to your face anyway.

On the street cleaners, our village has usually a few ladies going around with dust pans and brushes and they even touch up the paintwork here and there, I asked why there are always different people doing it and was told that anyone claiming benefits has to do a couple of weeks contribution..

Last edited by anonimouse; Feb 8th 2011 at 2:37 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Wow, someone joins up with the user name of God and the first thread they start ends up in a cat fight with the old rivalries being opened up and the site starts to look bitchy and uninviting... who would have thought it eh? How strange.
Maybe there should be a thread for the more fainthearted call the "in total agreement" tread.

That would sure be a hoot, and very interesting reading too.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:53 pm
Banned

What about the cottoreos.

I dont think the UK has any of those programmes where the z listers can go and whinge about their lives like the way they can in Spain and have all the presenters taking it so seriously that the end up in tears.
With the same protagonistas coming back night aftern night and rehashing the whole thing over and over.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
What about the cottoreos.
Or "cotorreos" even!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.