Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tell me what's really different.

Tell me what's really different.

Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:03 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me what's really different.

That reminds me, I must put in for that name change again...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

dios41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
No, because it's fairly easy to say "Hola!" on entering the bar (perhaps with a "buenos dias" or "buenas tardes"), give your order, and then get served 100 times faster than you would in a Starbucks. There again I've seen tourists enter a UK pub, sit at tables for a while, then edge up to the bar, and eventually realise they've got to force their way to the front of the queue in order to get served. A different etiquette, but people generally soon learn.
Yeah, they were Japanese!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
That reminds me, I must put in for that name change again...
Would you need a proxy server?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Just thought of another one. Spanish don't possess kettles, first time I bought one my wife thought that it was to heat the milk! Her mother had never even seen one before. Keep telling me we are the same. Yeah right.

Last edited by dios41; Feb 7th 2011 at 9:16 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HBG
Would you need a proxy server?
Poxy server
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

I couldn't agree more with what cricketman said (as usual, btw):

<<<In the English team I play for, the new player is ignored and put on as a sub for the last 5 minutes, only after they keep turning up for a few months do people start to speak to him. And then they respect him for his perseverence. Only one example I know, but to NOT make a stranger feel part of the group in Spain would be cuturally unacceptable and seen as incredibly rude. >>>

I'm Spanish and I lived in Britain for a while. I'm not the Spanish stereotype that you mention here sometimes (I don't like noise, I don't like rubbish on the floor, I don't talk to the first person I bump into, etc) but what he mentions is BY FAR the worst thing I could say about Brits. I don't know if it's cultural or just me having bad luck, but I experienced that many times and I hated it. I would say I'm open-minded and whenever I lived abroad or with foreign people I've tried to be flexible, but for some reason I couldn't accept the fact that if I'm new somewhere (a job, a group of people, etc) people won't make things easy for me to integrate. In England last year I was working in a school and nobody ever talked to me. They didn't even say hi. When I mentioned this to British friends they all said that the logical thing to do is be the one who approaches other people. I don't see how that is logical.

But leaving the working place aside, I've been in situations when I'm with a British friend + some friends of his that I don't know. You'd imagine that I'll be introduced to the rest and people would make an effort to talk to me and make me feel comfortable as I don't know the rest. Yeah, right. I've been totally neglected for hours and what's worse, not only by those people I didn't know but by my "friend". In Spain, that's totally impossible. Talking to them afterwards they didn't understand my point. I wonder what would happen if it was the opposite. I teach here, I imagine a new British girl coming over for a few months, it wouldn't be more than 5 seconds until someone talks to her, offer her a drink, a place to stay or a coffee at the next door bar. I'm not saying all Spaniards are kind and wonderful, but I want to think people usually are when someone is new, etc.

As cricketman said, I think that in Britain, in my experience, you need a lot of time. I assume that if the new person keeps going out with them or trying to talk, for ages, it will come to a point where he'll be accepted. I just find it incredibly unfriendly and sad. And again, I'm not saying everybody here is friendly. I'm not the kind of person who is very chatty with strangers or "la alegría de la huerta" in the Spanish-caricaturesque-way, but still, I hated that.

There are many others things I love about the Brits but that, is not one of them. (Sorry about the long post)

Last edited by siesta; Feb 7th 2011 at 9:18 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:16 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siesta
I couldn't agree more with what cricketman said (as usual, btw):

<<<In the English team I play for, the new player is ignored and put on as a sub for the last 5 minutes, only after they keep turning up for a few months do people start to speak to him. And then they respect him for his perseverence. Only one example I know, but to NOT make a stranger feel part of the group in Spain would be cuturally unacceptable and seen as incredibly rude. >>>

I'm Spanish and I lived in Britain for a while. I'm not the Spanish stereotype that you mention here sometimes (I don't like noise, I don't like rubbish on the floor, I don't talk to the first person I bump into, etc) but what he mentions is BY FAR the worst thing I could say about Brits. I don't know if it's cultural or just me having bad luck, but I experienced that many times and I hated it. I would say I'm open-minded and whenever I lived abroad or with foreign people I've tried to be flexible, but for some reason I couldn't accept the fact that if I'm new somewhere (a job, a group of people, etc) people won't make things easy for me to integrate. In England last year I was working in a school and nobody ever talked to me. They didn't even say hi. When I mentioned this to British friends they all said that the logical thing to do is be the one who approaches other people. I don't see how that is logical.

But leaving the working place aside, I've been in situations when I'm with a British friend + some friends of his that I don't know. You'd imagine that I'll be introduced to the rest and people would make an effort to talk to me and make me feel comfortable as I don't know the rest. Yeah, right. I've been totally neglected for hours and what's worse, not only for those people I didn't know but for my "friend". In Spain, that's totally impossible. Talking to them afterwards they didn't understand my point. I wonder what would happen if it was the opposite. I teach here, I imagine a new British girl coming over for a few months, it wouldn't be more than 5 seconds until someone talks to her, offer her a drink, a place to stay or a coffee at the next door bar. I'm not saying all Spaniards are kind and wonderful, but I want to think people usually are when someone is new, etc.

As cricketman said, I think that in Britain, in my experience, you need a lot of time. I assume that if the new person keeps going out with them or trying to talk, for ages, it will come to a point where he'll be accepted. I just find it incredibly unfriendly and sad. And again, I'm not saying everybody here is friendly. I'm not the kind of person who is very chatty with strangers or "la alegría de la huerta" in the Spanish-caricaturesque-way, but still, I hated that.

There are many others things I love about the Brits but that, is not one of them. (Sorry about the long post)
Thanks for the feedback. I remember an Irish guy telling me that the most inhospitable people on the planet were the English, and reading your post, he may have a point. Having said that, if you go north in the country, for example Yorkshire, you'll normally find the people more opening and friendly.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Have you ever seen a Spaniard wearing knee length socks with open sandals?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dios41
So let me get this right... you joined so that you could come on and start slagging the Spanish off?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dios41
Can someone please tell me why a lot of British men do?
I would love to know, and why don't you ever see them like it in the UK during the winter months?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

So let me get this right... you joined so that you could come on and start slagging the Spanish off?
You have got it completely wrong mate. Im stating differences, and that is the subject of this thread.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Shall we run a book on who he was before.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Thanks for the feedback. I remember an Irish guy telling me that the most inhospitable people on the planet were the English, and reading your post, he may have a point. Having said that, if you go north in the country, for example Yorkshire, you'll normally find the people more opening and friendly.
Very true, the Scottish and Irish too.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Shall we run a book on who he was before.
Not me, cos i'm still here as me, no internet for a while and forgot my password !!
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
Not me, cos i'm still here as me, no internet for a while and forgot my password !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.