Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tell me what's really different.

Tell me what's really different.

Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

dios41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tell me what's really different.

I just wanted to start a thread to find out exactly what people feel are the difference between British and Spanish people. Whether it be a big or small difference, please feel free to join in and let us know. I will start with a couple.
1) The Spanish in general love noise. We Brits don't.
2) The Spanish in general don't mind copious amounts of dog mess fouling the pavements. We Brits do
3) The Spanish in general do not mind rubbish tipped all over the place. We Brits do.

There we go, there's a few, now see how many more we can muster up, you will be amazed.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me what's really different.

Oh dear. Tin hats at the ready chaps...
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

dios41 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not at all. I just wanted to get the feel for what we find so different. You don't have to be brave, but just be honest.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dios41
Not at all. I just wanted to get the feel for what we find so different. You don't have to be brave, but just be honest.
I do kind of understand, but I think generalisations get a bit muddied in forum-land; however much you say, announce, underline, your acceptance that not one 'label' can apply to all of a particular nationality, race, gender, whatever, even the act of attempting to get a picture by using a generalisation often seems to go wrong. In my view (as someone who uses generalisations in face to face conversation, where it's far easier to explain, backtrack, justify, etc!)
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this is very difficult because people vary so much within Spain and within the UK - and of course we are all individuals

I dont actually agree with any of the examples you quoted. I havent seen much dog mess, noise and rubbish anywhere where I have lived in Spain! (Barcelona, Asturias and CDS).

Generally, I think Spanish people are more comfortable socially, incredibly family focussed (extended family, not just the children) and spend more money on food, clothes and family occasions rather than the latest technology.

Brits are more driven, adventurous (but only on their terms), more politically correct and love to draw up and abide by the rules! They feel any situation needs a set of rules in order to feel comfortable within it. Spanish people are much more chilled it that respect, but also may take advantage of people and situations because of the lack of rules.

There are loads of exceptions to what I've written above, but thats the main differences I can think of in my 10 years of experience! Not so many differences really.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 2:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish smell.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

2) The Spanish in general don't mind copious amounts of dog mess fouling the pavements. We Brits do
I think Brits that don't own dogs certainly do object, dog owners don't really seem to have a problem where their dog dumps. They all claim to pick up after their dogs, so where does all this dog mess come from?
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:12 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

OH has always said the following: "you can eat off the floors in restaurants in England & Spain, in England because the floor is spotlessly clean and in Spain because there is that much food on the floor to choose from" When he was a restaurant manager of a hotel he allways commented on how clean the English are when they eat being careful not to spill food on the table or the floor and how the Spanish don't care because it's not their job to clean up after themselves.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:14 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The Spanish smell.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:27 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The Spanish smell.
Hope you aren't stirring the pot

The Spanish use their hands more in conversation, bet a lot of you have picked up the habit, I have over the years.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:30 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I think Brits that don't own dogs certainly do object, dog owners don't really seem to have a problem where their dog dumps. They all claim to pick up after their dogs, so where does all this dog mess come from?
It must be guide dog dumps
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

The Spanish use their hands more in conversation, bet a lot of you have picked up the habit, I have over the years.
Correct makes me useless on the telephone
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well, this is very difficult because people vary so much within Spain and within the UK - and of course we are all individuals
Generally, I think Spanish people are more comfortable socially, incredibly family focussed (extended family, not just the children) and spend more money on food, clothes and family occasions rather than the latest technology.
Totally agree with you regarding individuals but I tend to compare my old neighbours in UK with my newer neighbours in Spain and find that the Spanish are more friendly and caring.

When my OH had to have an emergency 10 hour operation my neighbours insisted on being with me at the hospital for the duration. I thanked them for their kindness and I was told off because where else would our family be. I frowned and was told that we are an important part of their family.

Rosemary
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:38 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Just a simple observation.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Has the troll season started ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.