British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Tell me what's really different. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/tell-me-whats-really-different-704361/)

dios41 Feb 7th 2011 2:28 pm

Tell me what's really different.

I just wanted to start a thread to find out exactly what people feel are the difference between British and Spanish people. Whether it be a big or small difference, please feel free to join in and let us know. I will start with a couple.
1) The Spanish in general love noise. We Brits don't.
2) The Spanish in general don't mind copious amounts of dog mess fouling the pavements. We Brits do
3) The Spanish in general do not mind rubbish tipped all over the place. We Brits do.

There we go, there's a few, now see how many more we can muster up, you will be amazed.

fionamw Feb 7th 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Tell me what's really different.

Oh dear. Tin hats at the ready chaps...

dios41 Feb 7th 2011 2:42 pm

Not at all. I just wanted to get the feel for what we find so different. You don't have to be brave, but just be honest.

fionamw Feb 7th 2011 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dios41 (Post 9158899)
Not at all. I just wanted to get the feel for what we find so different. You don't have to be brave, but just be honest.

I do kind of understand, but I think generalisations get a bit muddied in forum-land; however much you say, announce, underline, your acceptance that not one 'label' can apply to all of a particular nationality, race, gender, whatever, even the act of attempting to get a picture by using a generalisation often seems to go wrong. In my view:unsure: (as someone who uses generalisations in face to face conversation, where it's far easier to explain, backtrack, justify, etc!)

cricketman Feb 7th 2011 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dios41 (Post 9158899)

Well, this is very difficult because people vary so much within Spain and within the UK - and of course we are all individuals

I dont actually agree with any of the examples you quoted. I havent seen much dog mess, noise and rubbish anywhere where I have lived in Spain! (Barcelona, Asturias and CDS).

Generally, I think Spanish people are more comfortable socially, incredibly family focussed (extended family, not just the children) and spend more money on food, clothes and family occasions rather than the latest technology.

Brits are more driven, adventurous (but only on their terms), more politically correct and love to draw up and abide by the rules! They feel any situation needs a set of rules in order to feel comfortable within it. Spanish people are much more chilled it that respect, but also may take advantage of people and situations because of the lack of rules.

There are loads of exceptions to what I've written above, but thats the main differences I can think of in my 10 years of experience! Not so many differences really.

rugbymatt Feb 7th 2011 2:52 pm

The Spanish smell.

agoreira Feb 7th 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dios41 (Post 9158865)
2) The Spanish in general don't mind copious amounts of dog mess fouling the pavements. We Brits do

I think Brits that don't own dogs certainly do object, dog owners don't really seem to have a problem where their dog dumps. They all claim to pick up after their dogs, so where does all this dog mess come from? :confused:

Madridboy Feb 7th 2011 3:12 pm

OH has always said the following: "you can eat off the floors in restaurants in England & Spain, in England because the floor is spotlessly clean and in Spain because there is that much food on the floor to choose from" When he was a restaurant manager of a hotel he allways commented on how clean the English are when they eat being careful not to spill food on the table or the floor and how the Spanish don't care because it's not their job to clean up after themselves.

jimenato Feb 7th 2011 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 9158931)
The Spanish smell.

:rofl::rofl:

jackytoo Feb 7th 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 9158931)
The Spanish smell.

Hope you aren't stirring the pot;):)

The Spanish use their hands more in conversation, bet a lot of you have picked up the habit, I have over the years.

JLFS Feb 7th 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9158951)
I think Brits that don't own dogs certainly do object, dog owners don't really seem to have a problem where their dog dumps. They all claim to pick up after their dogs, so where does all this dog mess come from? :confused:

It must be guide dog dumps:rofl::rofl:

Fredbargate Feb 7th 2011 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9158993)

The Spanish use their hands more in conversation, bet a lot of you have picked up the habit, I have over the years.

Correct makes me useless on the telephone :D

Rosemary Feb 7th 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 9158929)
Well, this is very difficult because people vary so much within Spain and within the UK - and of course we are all individuals
Generally, I think Spanish people are more comfortable socially, incredibly family focussed (extended family, not just the children) and spend more money on food, clothes and family occasions rather than the latest technology.

Totally agree with you regarding individuals but I tend to compare my old neighbours in UK with my newer neighbours in Spain and find that the Spanish are more friendly and caring.

When my OH had to have an emergency 10 hour operation my neighbours insisted on being with me at the hospital for the duration. I thanked them for their kindness and I was told off because where else would our family be. I frowned and was told that we are an important part of their family.

Rosemary

rugbymatt Feb 7th 2011 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9158993)

Just a simple observation.

jdr Feb 7th 2011 3:40 pm

Has the troll season started ?