Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:18 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Did the Jubilee let these people out for a day? Without their medication?
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:37 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Did the Jubilee let these people out for a day? Without their medication?
It's alright, they were on a boat surrounded by water. No harm could have come from it...

You were talking about the Family, right?
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:15 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's alright, they were on a boat surrounded by water. No harm could have come from it...

You were talking about the Family, right?
Don't think so.

Seems that a strange apparition has appeared (or possibly reappeared) amongst us.
Definitely running low on meds,.....but there again it is Sunday and maybe the pharmacies are all closed.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Don't think so.

Seems that a strange apparition has appeared (or possibly reappeared) amongst us.
Definitely running low on meds,.....but there again it is Sunday and maybe the pharmacies are all closed.
You've sussed it Dick. I'm not sure Steve has, maybe he's run out of links.

It's not a big deal, the world is not full of stable people, nor are forums.

What I admire about this forum is that the clowns are usually sussed out fairly quickly and thank God Rosemary hasn't welcomed them in her usual style.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The Times reporting this morning that HSBC have tested drachmas in the cash machines.
I assume they mean in Greece itself, but maybe it was in the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The BIS also reporting in the Times that overseas banks pulled 81 billion out of Spain in three months - it is not clear but I think in the last quarter of 2011.

That is in addition to the 31 billion private depositors withdrew in March 2012.

Last edited by bigglesworth; Jun 3rd 2012 at 10:02 pm. Reason: correcting figures
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

alecalgo is a jewel in the roughalecalgo is a jewel in the roughalecalgo is a jewel in the roughalecalgo is a jewel in the roughalecalgo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Tip for the future - these arrogant rants are always a bit more impressive if you learn to spell first. Simply using big words without any real comprehension of their meaning degrades further your silly little polemic. Grow up.
Hi there Bigglesworth ...... I doubt if my post seriously rattled your cage but it certainly seems to have put you into your prim nit-picking school-masterly mode ... hence my humble acknowledgement of the one spelling mistake, magnanimous. So sorry it upset you ! (I may even have to get a spell-checker for my Wordpad thingy one of these days ...).
---
Leaving aside your assumption that I don't understand BIG WORDS, perhaps I understand better than you the long term implications for England of our perverse and antiquated retention of sovereignty over Gib and the Falklands. However, we will not go down that cul-de-sac for now .... rather, let us consider a present day WHAT IF question :-
What if the 50% unemployment of the under 25's in Spain carries on as it is, or worsens to over, say, 60% ? How will the entrapped Spanish government be able to deflect the mounting pressure on it ? Do you not think there would be an overt encouragement of the already mobilizing FREE GIB campaign.
It was easy enough for the Argentine General Galtieri to mobilize the hitherto resentful, work less and highly critical anti-government masses into a popular surge of FREE the FALKLANDs sentiment. Not that Rajoy would do that of course .... he would merely allow himself and his government to be carried along half protesting on the coattails of a popular mass movement (full of agent provocateurs) that had finally found itself a distraction, indeed a country freeing patriotic duty ; a grand project. The FREE GIB encampment massing in La Linea would acquire a long term ever-growing critical mass which the UK government would not have the means or the will to deal with - we would lose all credibility and face in Europe. Not to mention the direct and dire effects on UK expats still in Spain.
alec
PS .... my above 'it could well happen' premise is based on (1) my assumption that there will be mass unemployment in Spain well into the foreseeable future and (2) my understanding of the present and likely medium term demographic situation there.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matematik
I don't see how the British can be blamed for Spain's problems at all. The British are mostly entirely self-suporting, rarely if ever take local jobs, don't claim benefits and many even have private health insurance and do not use the state system at all, mainly because in some areas entitlement is an issue.

"Blame the Brits" has been the natural response of the Spanish for years though, I guess it all stems from Gibraltar. The Argentinians do it a lot too, I guess it must be a Hispanic thing.
I think a lot of people on this forum live in their own imaginations and are over stating the role British people play in Spain

The only time a Spaniard cares about the half million or so Brits in Spain is when they make their job difficult by not speaking good Spanish in the townhall, school, shop etc

Those Spaniards who resent foreigners tend to be against the Ecuadorians, Romanians and Morocans etc. British people barely register in Spanish society so Spaniards dont tend to have opinions about them, apart from rather superficial opinions based on the way the tourists look, eat and drink!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I read that about HSBC trying cash machines to see if able to issue Drachma's a couple of days ago somewhere as well. Per the BBC looks as though Cyprus may also be seeking a bail out shortly surely soon the ones giving the bailouts will be needing a bail out. BBC also quoting that unemployment for Spain last month fell back slightly.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:44 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cricketman
I think a lot of people on this forum live in their own imaginations and are over stating the role British people play in Spain

The only time a Spaniard cares about the half million or so Brits in Spain is when they make their job difficult by not speaking good Spanish in the townhall, school, shop etc

Those Spaniards who resent foreigners tend to be against the Ecuadorians, Romanians and Morocans etc. British people barely register in Spanish society so Spaniards dont tend to have opinions about them, apart from rather superficial opinions based on the way the tourists look, eat and drink!
A good post to put things back on an even keel. Spanish people don't mind us if we behave normally, and we don't mind them if they do the same.

But it's easy enough to quote extreme examples from either 'side' and things get heated, and Gibraltar and the Falklands don't help.

On the expat side I'm always surprised to hear them say that Spanish people are not helped by their government, i.e. they get no benefits.

It's true that they don't get the range of benefits available in the UK, but every unemployed person in Spain gets 430 Euros a month. I don't know what they get in the UK, but it's less than that.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:51 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
A good post to put things back on an even keel. Spanish people don't mind us if we behave normally, and we don't mind them if they do the same.

But it's easy enough to quote extreme examples from either 'side' and things get heated, and Gibraltar and the Falklands don't help.

On the expat side I'm always surprised to hear them say that Spanish people are not helped by their government, i.e. they get no benefits.

It's true that they don't get the range of benefits available in the UK, but every unemployed person in Spain gets 430 Euros a month. I don't know what they get in the UK, but it's less than that.
The point is though, you don't (as far as I'm aware) get housing benefit in Spain. The UK forks out something like £21 billion a year on housing benefits (and forecast to keep rising)

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenan...519345.article
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Originally Posted by HBG

I dont think every unemployed person gets benefit as my wife only received unemployment benefit for a certain amount of time after she left her job. It was a proportion of what she had paid in and the amount of time she had been paying. Jobseekers allowance in the UK is 67 pounds a week..
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Thats not quite true

There is an emergency payment of 430 euros per month to those who's paro has run out if they dont have any other income earner in the household. This is dependent on the person attending government training courses I believe.

This was a temporary measure brought in by Zapatero about two years ago. The PP can and probably will get rid of it at any time
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

HBG in the UK if you are on basic Job Seekers in UK it is around £280 month obviously those that can and know there way around they system (usually those that don't/wont work) there are additional benefits to be claimed. By the way yes I agree with your post above.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:16 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alecalgo
Hi there Bigglesworth ...... I doubt if my post seriously rattled your cage but it certainly seems to have put you into your prim nit-picking school-masterly mode ... hence my humble acknowledgement of the one spelling mistake, magnanimous. So sorry it upset you ! (I may even have to get a spell-checker for my Wordpad thingy one of these days ...).
---
Leaving aside your assumption that I don't understand BIG WORDS, perhaps I understand better than you the long term implications for England of our perverse and antiquated retention of sovereignty over Gib and the Falklands. However, we will not go down that cul-de-sac for now .... rather, let us consider a present day WHAT IF question :-
What if the 50% unemployment of the under 25's in Spain carries on as it is, or worsens to over, say, 60% ? How will the entrapped Spanish government be able to deflect the mounting pressure on it ? Do you not think there would be an overt encouragement of the already mobilizing FREE GIB campaign.
It was easy enough for the Argentine General Galtieri to mobilize the hitherto resentful, work less and highly critical anti-government masses into a popular surge of FREE the FALKLANDs sentiment. Not that Rajoy would do that of course .... he would merely allow himself and his government to be carried along half protesting on the coattails of a popular mass movement (full of agent provocateurs) that had finally found itself a distraction, indeed a country freeing patriotic duty ; a grand project. The FREE GIB encampment massing in La Linea would acquire a long term ever-growing critical mass which the UK government would not have the means or the will to deal with - we would lose all credibility and face in Europe. Not to mention the direct and dire effects on UK expats still in Spain.
alec
PS .... my above 'it could well happen' premise is based on (1) my assumption that there will be mass unemployment in Spain well into the foreseeable future and (2) my understanding of the present and likely medium term demographic situation there.

The Spanish, much like your good self, are flogging a dead horse regarding the Gib.issue.

It's pretty obvious to the whole World and his wife that they're simply attempting to use it as a diversionary distraction from the mess they're in, as well as a desperate attempt to retain some credibility with their own voters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.