Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
...and although having the euro has made spending around Europe so much easier I think financially we ought to return to the peseta.
These three Spanish experts think the complete opposite, that at best adopting the peseta would take Spain back to the 50's. The article reckons Spain has only itself to blame, it needs to stop thinking it is being victimised, stop feeling sorry for itself, stop blaming everyone else for it's problems.(it has received more money than anyone from the EU) Interestingly, the article says they should forget about "populismo", about Gibraltar, more Spanish move to London every year than the entire population of Gib. I suspect if the article had been written in English and published in the Mail or Telegraph it would be rubbished by the usual crowd as having a down on Spain.
http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/05/31/...92_453958.html
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:23 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

So having an independent currency takes a country back to the 50s?
That must be happening to Norway and the UK then?

I'm sure all those out-of-work construction workers will be only too happy to listen to the University professors in cushy numbers too.

There are plenty of arguments for the Euro, and you could (possibly) say that the discipline involved has helped competitiveness - Spain has had excellent export figures in the last few years. But having an independent currency takes you back to the 50s? What sort of rubbish is that?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There are more implications than just returning to their own currency as if they do Spain will be in default. They won't be able to borrow money which means petrol shortages etc. Greece is already feeling the pinch of this as I read an article which says they are finding it difficult to import raw materials as suppliers are wary.

I remember the peseta/euro change over. During a period of about a week(?) when you paid in pesetas change was given in euro so the peseta gradually disappeared.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There are more implications than just returning to their own currency as if they do Spain will be in default. They won't be able to borrow money which means petrol shortages etc. Greece is already feeling the pinch of this as I read an article which says they are finding it difficult to import raw materials as suppliers are wary.

I remember the peseta/euro change over. During a period of about a week(?) when you paid in pesetas change was given in euro so the peseta gradually disappeared.
Greece is still in the Euro! They seemed to be able to buy petrol and raw materials prior to the single currency. Although there will definitely be difficulties in the changeover, it seems to me more likely that countries are going back to the 50s under the Euro!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:08 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Greece is still in the Euro! They seemed to be able to buy petrol and raw materials prior to the single currency. Although there will definitely be difficulties in the changeover, it seems to me more likely that countries are going back to the 50s under the Euro!
If I lived in Greece, any spare money I had would live elsewhere.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the change over from the Peseta to the Euro as a smooth one, you hardly noticed it, with one exception - all the prices went up, from coffee to houses.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:51 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I remember the change over from the Peseta to the Euro as a smooth one, you hardly noticed it, with one exception - all the prices went up, from coffee to houses.
True, they just added a decimal point eg. 150 pesetas became 1.50 euro
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:53 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a coffee and a brandy costing 100 Pesetas, you could get about 12 of those for an English fiver.

I remember sitting at an adjoining table to an elderly English couple who had just arrived for a holiday. Apart from their silly shorts, they looked, spoke and behaved just like respectable people do.

Until both of them had their fiver's worth. After trading blows, both collapsed on to the stone floor and spewed and spewed. It cleared a large space around them, until the Spanish landlord came out and hosed them and his terrace down.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:56 pm

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I remember a coffee and a brandy costing 100 Pesetas, you could get about 12 of those for an English fiver.

I remember sitting at an adjoining table to an elderly English couple who had just arrived for a holiday. Apart from their silly shorts, they looked, spoke and behaved just like respectable people do.

Until both of them had their fiver's worth. After trading blows, both collapsed on to the stone floor and spewed and spewed. It cleared a large space around them, until the Spanish landlord came out and hosed them and his terrace down.
A real businessman. Did he call a cab or just pour them into their cars?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:06 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
A real businessman. Did he call a cab or just pour them into their cars?
He was a caring Spaniard. With the help of some customers the couple were propped up against a wall, in the shade, but out of sight.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Originally Posted by agoreira
These three Spanish experts think the complete opposite, that at best adopting the peseta would take Spain back to the 50's. The article reckons Spain has only itself to blame, it needs to stop thinking it is being victimised, stop feeling sorry for itself, stop blaming everyone else for it's problems.(it has received more money than anyone from the EU) Interestingly, the article says they should forget about "populismo", about Gibraltar, more Spanish move to London every year than the entire population of Gib. I suspect if the article had been written in English and published in the Mail or Telegraph it would be rubbished by the usual crowd as having a down on Spain.
http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/05/31/...92_453958.html
Back to the 50's would be a good megamix by Jive Bunny..and one of the songs would be Viva Espana con la Peseta. I don't think that the countries in Europe who kept their own currency would say they were in the 50's and changing from the peseta to the euro certainly didnt bring our village into the 21st Century and thats why we love it.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Back to the 50's would be a good megamix by Jive Bunny..and one of the songs would be Viva Espana con la Peseta. I don't think that the countries in Europe who kept their own currency would say they were in the 50's and changing from the peseta to the euro certainly didnt bring our village into the 21st Century and thats why we love it.
50's get you Franco too
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:26 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Weren't the Brits told "we never had it so good" in the 50s?

At least people had jobs then
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Weren't the Brits told "we never had it so good" in the 50s?

At least people had jobs then
Late 30's in Germany were pretty good.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Late 30's in Germany were pretty good.
Not for some of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.