Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Old May 31st 2012, 9:17 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain in a 'state of total emergency' ?

Not just the british media on about Spain..happens to be the worlds media too...are they all vindictive and rude about poor old Spain,
Old May 31st 2012, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I think some countries including Spain should have never been accepted to use the euro.
They were far better off with the dracma peseta and lira.
How could these countries possibly compete with Germany and the other simular industrial members
. Impossible
Yes they have gained by putting the roads ready for future development, so yes its easier to drive around.
But come on they were out of their depth!!!!

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; May 31st 2012 at 10:05 am. Reason: added text
Old May 31st 2012, 10:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Spain for many years and maybe, just maybe know something about the Spanish character. I'm probably wrong, but this is a discussion forum, is it not?

If you push a Spaniard once, he will probably step back, surprised at what's happening.

If you push him again, he will stand his ground and think about what is happening.

If you push him again, he will go into war mode.

The Spanish people in war mode won't care about the niceties of the EU, they've got a big country well able to live on its own resources, if pushed.

And historically, they'll start off by expelling their foreigners, to be harsh - they expelled their Jews - born and bred Spaniards , and they won't hesitate to get rid of us expats.
Old May 31st 2012, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Thats quite scary
Old May 31st 2012, 12:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've posted this late before and I blame The Pirate Bay. But in answer to Dennise, the doomsday scenario is not likely to happen, and nor are earthquakes.

And just image the Peseta returning. We'll all be driving around in Mercedes's, cruising the world, bouncing about in Armani suits.

Bring it on.
Old May 31st 2012, 7:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

de Guindos has virtually admitted that the future (or not) of the Euro will be decided this month.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...-in-spain.html

Spanish Economy Minister Luis de Guindos said the future of the euro is at stake in Italy and Spain, as data showed a net 66 billion euros ($82 billion) of capital left the country in March.

“The future of the euro is going to be at play in the next weeks in Spain and Italy,” he told a conference in Sitges, Spain, yesterday. “I don’t know if we’re on the edge of the precipice, but we’re in a very, very, very difficult situation.” The euro region needs to integrate further in order to overcome the crisis and de Guindos said he expected “signals” in the coming days and weeks on integrating deposit-guarantee funds and banking supervision. “We all agree” on the need to move toward a “banking union,” he said.
I still doubt the replacement currency will be called a peseta, as it would create too much confusion with the old coins and notes that have been hoarded. Besides which, the govt won't want to remind people directly of comparison in prices.
Whatever currency is introduced in Spain, I suspect that for a while, both Euros and pounds will be more welcome than the Spanish equivalent. It may be for a while that the Euro will be worth two of the new replacement, as Germany will still be using the Euro?
Old May 31st 2012, 7:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
<< SNIP>>
There's no point in hiding your head in the sand, because when you lift it out you might find the cash points closed and the British Navy parked off-shore to take you home.
well with the 64 ships available worldwide (subject to repair, update etc) its going to take alot of tooing and froing to shift a million BE's.
thats 30 ships less than Spain according to Wiki

and where will they be taking people to - a Gibraltar that has been surrounded by Spanish army, navy and airforce.??
Could Gib accommodate 1million BE's.?

It generally takes 4 days to get back to the UK from Gib, although could probably be done in 3.

Hague is supposed to have said "We have contingency plans" which are probably based around sitting down, head between knees and holding your breath.

Last edited by Domino; May 31st 2012 at 7:34 pm.
Old May 31st 2012, 7:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit fanciful to suggest that Brits, who suddenly find the value of their pounds has doubled overnight, will be demanding to go back to the UK. Or that Spanish businesses or workers will demand that a good source of income should leave... They may be very annoyed with their politicans though - overnight the money still in their bank account will be worth less (although I suppose those owing money will gain).
What may be a problem is that cashpoint machines may close for a week or two, whilst they are changed over. There will be long queues at banks I suspect also.
Some holidaymakers may put off their trip until it settles down a bit - probably replaced by bargain seekers. The coffee or beer that costed 1 euro 20 last year, will probably effectively just cost 50 or 60 pence, until the replacement currency recovers a little in value.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Not just the british media on about Spain..happens to be the worlds media too...are they all vindictive and rude about poor old Spain,
Yes, bloody bullies, picking on the weakest in the playground. The dastardly foreign press making up horror stories about Spain's economic woes. Thank goodness we have these forums to give us the true unbiased picture of what is really happening in Spain. Crisis, what crisis?
Old May 31st 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not panicking - although I agree it looks worse by the day and I really don't see the point of all these bailouts, actual or proposed. All they seem to achieve is to phostpone the inevitable and waste an unimaginable amount of money (but is it real money?) in the process. Better to cut your losses and take the short term pain then start to rebuild, IMO.

I don't want to go anywhere. I've only enough euros in the Spanish current account to pay the bills for another couple of months, the rest is in the UK or Gibraltar (where it's been for over 3 years because I could get a better return there than in the UK at the time, not moved because of the euro zone crisis). I have a small stash of sterling to change to meet essential expenses should the cash machines be closed for a short time, and UK credit and debit cards.

I might be proved wrong, but I really can't see Spain expelling foreigners except maybe indigent ones unable to support themselves. What would they gain from it, in fact the economy would be even weaker. There might well be some muttering or even more if foreigners were seen to be conspicuously flashing the cash after a currency devaluation though, it would be more prudent to keep a fairly low profile I think than rush out and treat yourself to the Armani suit etc.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:38 pm
Not Banned (yet)

There might well be some muttering or even more if foreigners were seen to be conspicuously flashing the cash after a currency devaluation though, it would be more prudent to keep a fairly low profile I think than rush out and treat yourself to the Armani suit etc.
There may (and granted it's not certain) even be an influx of house-buyers, if prices suddenly fell 30-40% overnight. Imagine the average house hunter in southern England, weighing up a £350,000 3 bedroomed house there, as opposed to something for 60-160k in sunny Spain.
It may even get the construction industry back to work.
Old May 31st 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
There may (and granted it's not certain) even be an influx of house-buyers, if prices suddenly fell 30-40% overnight. Imagine the average house hunter in southern England, weighing up a £350,000 3 bedroomed house there, as opposed to something for 60-160k in sunny Spain.
Agreed. That's why I think it would be better to just do it, sod the effect on the rest of the economies!
Old May 31st 2012, 9:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

I might be proved wrong, but I really can't see Spain expelling foreigners except maybe indigent ones unable to support themselves.
Even if Spain dumped the Euro it is extremely unlikely that they would leave the EU and even if they did they would be members of the EEA which gives the same rights of movement/residency as at present.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, we know how we would react, but I'm not sure we really understand the Spanish way.

One tiny example. I had a dispute with Telefonica a long time ago, because they had overcharged me by a ridiculous amount, thousands. They immediately admitted they were wrong, but wouldn't repay me.

Eventually I found out why, their entire system didn't allow for the payment of compensation.

A lot of times, the Spanish system does not allow it to admit being wrong and the payment of compensation is extremely rare, usually only after ten years in court.
Old May 31st 2012, 9:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
So Stevie you are saying nothing will change, all those Darn Sarf with big expensive houses that havent taken the hit the rest of the Uk have will be investing in Spain again - just the same as 10 year ago.

We have a decent sized 3 bed semi, good sized gardens, failed to sell at £120,000 - thats north of Watford, south of Humber on the edge of the Fens, near to a main railway line and the A1.
How much is that going to let us buy even in the depressed Spanish market??

As someone said earlier, there are those places where the crisis appears to be something effecting the rest of the world, whilst the rest of us have to wade through it.

I am worried because my favourite XL eggs have gone up from €1.99 to €2.38 a dozen, I may have to look for cheaper if this crisis carries on much longer.

Last edited by Domino; May 31st 2012 at 10:43 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.