Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain: Paradise lost

Spain: Paradise lost

Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:38 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spain: Paradise lost

Oh dear, buckle up and hold on tight.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lenox;8136094]
There is a 'fine mess' and the Spanish media are buggered if they will discuss it. QUOTE]

You're right, the fate of tourist or ex-pat homes are almost never discussed in Spanish media. A big fuss is made when a hotel is built illegally, like the one in Cabo de Gata that they were ordered to demolished or the ones around Marbella, but the Spanish media couldnt care less about foreigners living in Spain.

Whenever there is a feature about the British in Spain it is usually about how strange or ugly there are (I've been watching only Spanish TV for 2.5 years now)

Saying that, there are more Germans or French in Britain than there are Brits in Spain and I cant remember seeing anything in the British media about the French/Germans.

Our media only gives us what we are interested in. Except for the people who directly work in the tourist areas, the Spanish couldnt care less about Brits in Spain and why should they?

On the reverse side, the Brits I know in Spain couldnt even name the Spanish PM So seems they're not so interested in what happens in Spain either
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:17 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Saying that, there are more Germans or French in Britain than there are Brits in Spain and I cant remember seeing anything in the British media about the French/Germans.
Just don't mention the war yes off topic but funny none theless!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
but there are other destinations. They aren't, after all, looking for El Greco, Goya and Gaudí, but cheap plonk and a terrace with a decent view of the sunset.
Don't forget the Brit TV, I don't think any of them could live without that! Must be able to pick up the soaps, the dancing, X Factor etc.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Is there something they should be telling us? Are their houses about to be demolished?

Except for the people who directly work in the tourist areas, the Spanish couldnt care less about Brits in Spain and why should they?
Nor could the Brits in UK care a jot about expats in Spain. Or the reverse.

On the reverse side, the Brits I know in Spain couldnt even name the Spanish PM
I can, the Shoemaker.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

True the spanish couldn't care less about Brits under threat of their houses being demolished. They should do though long term they will suffer the consequences, particularly in regions such as Andalucia. Already the shit has hit the fan, most of the jobs disappearing are in construction or the service sector. Not only are Brits, Germans etc. not buying they are not even coming for a week or so.

I suppose most of you read the spanish forums. Most spanish are in favour of demolitions calling the guiris alcoholics and peverts (wonder how some of our PC members would cope with some of the comments!!). One or two voices of reason though, pointing out that the British residents have brought life and jobs to their small villages.

I know his name too it's Zetaparo!

It won't pick up for a decade at least.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

.....and all this time I thought it was Mr Bean!........

Even my Spanish neighbours call him Mr Bean.
Must admit there is a definite similarity,...both in looks and actions.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Nov 30th 2009 at 8:32 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I suppose most of you read the spanish forums. Most spanish are in favour of demolitions calling the guiris alcoholics and peverts (wonder how some of our PC members would cope with some of the comments!!).
I bet there's a lot that don't read their forums and perhaps that's just as well. How many times have I read about Brits telling about their hordes of Spanish friends, how well they get on with everyone, blissfully unaware of a lot of the simmering discontent amongst the locals, without reading some of the hate spewed out in the forums. They all think they love us! The mention of Gib (came up again about 2 days ago, two buceadores arrested for swimming in Gib?Spanish? territorial waters) normally starts them off. But strangely reading a Spanish in UK forum, they generally speak a bit better of us.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
without reading some of the hate spewed out in the forums.
let's face it, judging from this forum we don't even like each other very much.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
let's face it, judging from this forum we don't even like each other very much.
Too right, a civil war is always the bloodiest
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I bet there's a lot that don't read their forums and perhaps that's just as well. How many times have I read about Brits telling about their hordes of Spanish friends, how well they get on with everyone, blissfully unaware of a lot of the simmering discontent amongst the locals, without reading some of the hate spewed out in the forums. They all think they love us! The mention of Gib (came up again about 2 days ago, two buceadores arrested for swimming in Gib?Spanish? territorial waters) normally starts them off. But strangely reading a Spanish in UK forum, they generally speak a bit better of us.
Well only 1 million of you had gluttonous (sp?) houses built up and down the coasts and litter British bars everywhere they look at it as a hostile takeover.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
True the spanish couldn't care less about Brits under threat of their houses being demolished. They should do though long term they will suffer the consequences, particularly in regions such as Andalucia. Already the shit has hit the fan, most of the jobs disappearing are in construction or the service sector. Not only are Brits, Germans etc. not buying they are not even coming for a week or so.

I suppose most of you read the spanish forums. Most spanish are in favour of demolitions calling the guiris alcoholics and peverts (wonder how some of our PC members would cope with some of the comments!!). One or two voices of reason though, pointing out that the British residents have brought life and jobs to their small villages.

I know his name too it's Zetaparo!

It won't pick up for a decade at least.
Jackytoo I can assure most would rather have their coasts back without jobs than having million+ northern Europeans taking up space on the coastline
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:36 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

The mention of Gib (came up again about 2 days ago, two buceadores arrested for swimming in Gib?Spanish? territorial waters)
There was a recent incident, a Guardia Civil patrol boat entered UK waters unannounced around Gib, UK military had to remind them they were in restricted UK military zone and told to leave, they refused which has resulted in a Spanish minister being reminded the position Spain is in.

The Spanish still refuse to recognize UK zone around Gib and insist it is international waters.

No we took Gibraltar and the surrounding waters, get over it or start a war, numpties.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

I bet there's a lot that don't read their forums and perhaps that's just as well. How many times have I read about Brits telling about their hordes of Spanish friends, how well they get on with everyone, blissfully unaware of a lot of the simmering discontent amongst the locals, without reading some of the hate spewed out in the forums. They all think they love us!
Personally I don't think there is a lot of hate spewed out here, certainly not against the Spanish. Many people interprit comments as hate... I don't know why as that is what they are, comments. Just because you say something against how someone does something, how they are or how they behave does not mean you are directing hate at them. At the end of the day facts are facts, the fact that you speak out about them does not mean you are directing hate at people... disappointment, disgust at something but that does not mean hate, I think if someone living in Spain hated the Spanish the way some people here think they do they would actually be in the process of moving away, I know if I hated the people of the country I lived in I wouldn't be here for very long.

It think it is British to criticise, I have found the Spanish do not take criticism well, maybe the British don't take it well either but that is irrelevant with the comment. When I am working and I see someone Spanish doing something wrong or there is a better way of doing it I always find myself stopping and thinking how to explain that without them taking the knock. I have lost count of the number of times I found myself having to tell them: 'I am not criticising you but if I don't tell you how will you know?' I 'think' I have always looked upon criticism as a way of 'possibly' learning something, after all if someone is not criticised for something how do they learn another way or possibly a better way of doing something... this is not to say that all criticism is to be taken positively but only that all criticism should not be taken negatively.

Just my 2c

Last edited by Econ; Nov 30th 2009 at 9:47 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Econ
Personally I don't think there is a lot of hate spewed out here, certainly not against the Spanish. Many people interprit comments as hate... I don't know why as that is what they are, comments. Just because you say something against how someone does something, how they are or how they behave does not mean you are directing hate at them. At the end of the day facts are facts, the fact that you speak out about them does not mean you are directing hate at people... disappointment, disgust at something but that does not mean hate, I think if someone living in Spain hated the Spanish the way some people here think they do, they would actually be in the process of moving away, I know if I hated the people of the country I lived in I wouldn't be here for very long.

I think it is British to criticise, I have found the Spanish do not take criticism well, maybe the British don't take it well either but that is irrelevant with the comment. When I am working and I see someone Spanish doing something wrong or there is a better way of doing it I always find myself stopping and thinking how to explain that without them taking the knock. I have lost count of the number of times I found myself having to tell them: 'I am not criticising you but if I don't tell you how will you know?'.
I 'think' I have always looked upon criticism as a way of 'possibly' learning something, after all if someone is not criticised for something how do they learn another way or possibly a better way of doing something or that the thing that they are being criticised for is possibly wrong... this is not to say that all criticism is positive but only that all criticism should not be taken negatively.
I second what you say, though I think in general, people don't take criticism well. Though it's pretty much our human nature that we can't admit to be wrong, takes a lot of humility for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.