Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain: Paradise lost

Spain: Paradise lost

Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Mad Max is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spain: Paradise lost

Massive apologies if this has been discussed before. This T.V series is currently on in the UK on ITV 2.

I've been watching this in total disabelief at how the British have been treated in some parts of the costas. In one area thousands of ex-pat's have been told that their properties have been constructed illegally and will be bulldozed. How the hell was this allowed to happen.

As a new retiree in the UK and mortgage free, I have been toying about buying a place there, but how the hell would you know if the place you bough or built was not going to get flattened in 5 years time.

Watching these people on the programme is just so heartbreaking.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain: Paradise lost

Originally Posted by Mad Max
Massive apologies if this has been discussed before. This T.V series is currently on in the UK on ITV 2.

I've been watching this in total disabelief at how the British have been treated in some parts of the costas. In one area thousands of ex-pat's have been told that their properties have been constructed illegally and will be bulldozed. How the hell was this allowed to happen.

As a new retiree in the UK and mortgage free, I have been toying about buying a place there, but how the hell would you know if the place you bough or built was not going to get flattened in 5 years time.

Been on and discussed before, in fact a lot of it is resolved, the couple are still running the bar, and doing well, the urbanisation at La Zenia has a pool and grassed surround, and the sewage problem is being resolved. BUT, a lot of it was down to people not using independent solicitors but using the same ones that the developers were using, so checks that should have been done weren't. Something that couldn't happen in the UK.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:48 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been watching it too, but I saw it the last time it was on so I know that it gets upsetting!! The couple that own the "rusty nail" bar should have done a tad more homework beforehand, but the others are so sad.

It is scary not knowing whats legal and what isnt, but lessons have been hearnt, crooked mayors have been put into prison, so I think its not a common occurrence anymore. You do need a good Abogado and agent tho

Jo xxx
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Thats the frightening bit. I'm sure people that bought these homes had solicitors, searches done and the legal side, so how come it appears that they might lose every thing.
I didn't start the thread regarding the businesses going bad, thats always a risk, its the people under threat of losing their homes that really troubled me.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:17 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the frightening bit. I'm sure people that bought these homes had solicitors, searches done and the legal side, so how come it appears that they might lose every thing.
I didn't start the thread regarding the businesses going bad, thats always a risk, its the people under threat of losing their homes that really troubled me.
Its a risk I guess, but you can reduce the odds significantly by using a good solicitor, a knowledgable agent and of course, these days this really doesnt happen as much. As I said, lessons have been learnt. Make sure you do your own homework too, alot of these people sadly, put too much trust in the system and unlike the UK the regulations and safeguards in spain arent as water tight

Jo xxx
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:21 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Mayors may have been put in prison (well, actually not many). Little consolation for the thousands (yes thousands) of British who are left with illegal unsellable homes.

As far as I have heard most people did use a spanish Lawyer. In a civilised system I suppose you assume the legal set-up is impartial. Hiring a lawyer is supposed to prevent these things, bit difficult to hire someone to suss out if you have a good independant lawyer isn't it
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Although it may not seem like it based on what you read in the papers and see on the TV, the people who lose their homes are just a very, very tiny minority.

However, there are quite a few people who seem to own illegal properties, although they do not risk being demolished. The vast majority of illegal properties are country properties or properties with a little bit of land, even if it is just a few hundred metres of garden.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
As far as I have heard most people did use a spanish Lawyer. In a civilised system I suppose you assume the legal set-up is impartial. Hiring a lawyer is supposed to prevent these things, bit difficult to hire someone to suss out if you have a good independant lawyer isn't it
Ah, now I remember that we are uncivilized because we are contaminated of your stupidity

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 21st 2009 at 11:12 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mad Max;As a new retiree in the UK and mortgage free, I have been toying about buying a place there, but how the hell would you know if the place you bough or built was not going to get flattened in 5 years time.[/QUOTE]

By buying a place in a proper town that was built more than 20 years ago
Rather than a recent build.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:32 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
By buying a place in a proper town that was built more than 20 years ago
Rather than a recent build.
Not neccessarily so
A friend of ours bought a very old house on a large plot on the outskirts of Jacarilla (a village) and is subject to land grab.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Been on and discussed before, in fact a lot of it is resolved, the couple are still running the bar, and doing well,
They're doing that well that it's still up for sale at €45.000
http://www.businessandbarsalesinspai...l&property=112
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

So if you use a "good" solicitor, don't buy in the country, buy something over 20 years old, you might be in with a chance of getting a legal property? As one of the guys in an illegal property said last night, even if a couple of us were stupid, many thousands that now have ended up with illegal properties can't all be stupid. It's very easy to be smug when your property is legal, but I'd love to see the same people if their property was suddenly declared illegal, I think that smugness would soon disappear. I think some here are trying to defend the indefensible, the chances of you still buying a property that gets declared illegal is still very much there. They seem to think that everyone that has an illegal property was either thick, and/or a chancer. There will be a couple of those (not that that makes it right) but the vast majority had done their homework, gone down the right legal channels, got full legal status, connected to all services etc, and then suddenly, they're illegal.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it is fair saying the Spanish system is uncivilised either. Many Brits buy in Spain with their eyes closed because they are "living the dream". Buying a legal house is your personal responsibility!

They dont get an independent solicitor. Someone said that couldnt happen in Britain but that is nonsense. If you go into any estate agent in London they will offer you the services of a solicitor who happens to be affiliated with them. A few years ago I naively took this up and found time and again that the solicitor was trying to pull the wool over my eyes regarding unpaid service charge and leasehold length etc.

The difference in Spain and the UK is that Spain has built millions of new properties in the past 10 years or so, many which havent been granted the proper legal steps. UK hardly builds anything.

Saying that, I do have some sympathy as the ayuntamientos in the South of the county have a terrible record and seem to be a way for some to get rich quick. They are still in the minority though, but hopefully in a few years they wont exist at all.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by agoreira
There will be a couple of those (not that that makes it right) but the vast majority had done their homework, gone down the right legal channels, got full legal status, connected to all services etc, and then suddenly, they're illegal.
Thats the whole point of my post. The show's presenters stated there are thousands and thousands of 'illegal' property's in Spain. So who the hell do you trust to do their job properly and ensure that your life savings (or a big chunk of it) is not going to end in tears.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 9:22 am
Banned

I think the mass "conquering" of Spain by expats coming over and building properies hit spain rather quickly and they werent ready for it?? Yes, they saw financial benefits and embraced that happily enough, but at the same time, I guess they saw a load of foriegners marching into their country, building at will and taking over!!?? So they tried to put restrictions in place the only way they know how. Then of course you get the local mayors and ayuntamientos taking matters in their own hands, making a bit of extra money, local building companies cashing in. So the government had to hit them hard and show them what happens when they break the rules - demolition of "illegal" properties.......The punishment for disobeying and a deterent?

Thats kind of how I see it, in simple terms???

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.