Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain has not expelled any Brits!

Spain has not expelled any Brits!

Old Nov 15th 2023, 9:07 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain has not expelled any Brits!

The Schengen agreement doesn't allow for a visa designed just for one specific country though.

Also this was in the news a year ago and things don't seem to have progressed very far. The quotes from a year ago are also practically the same only from a different minister.

Last edited by DLC; Nov 15th 2023 at 9:19 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
The Schengen agreement doesn't allow for a visa designed just for one specific country though.

Also this was in the news a year ago and things don't seem to have progressed very far. The quotes from a year ago are also practically the same only from a different minister.
Very true. This is a very good and very comprehensive article from 2 years ago which shows it has hardly progressed at all:

Extending the 90 in 180-day rule for British in Spain - Bremain in Spain.

The latest developments in the French senate are nothing to get excited about because it is unlikely to get through their national assembly or the Schengen sniff test. In the unlikely event it does gain traction, it will be seriously watered down.

Old Nov 16th 2023, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
EU nationals/residents will be exempt from both EES and ETIAS and therefore will not need to queue up for the various checks. I don't think EU residents will have a separate queue, I think they will probably queue with EU nationals but will have to go to a manual booth - there will always have to be a manual booth in case of any problems.

I agree that the non EU lane will be very slow moving once the new system is live.
I appreciate that none of us know how it will work 'if and when' the new system comes live, but I would see it as a big and serious failing if EU residents cant simply use an egate, any efficient immigration system should know who is a citizen, who is a resident, who holds a valid visa etc etc. Of course there will be a filter to a manual booth in case of problems (as there is at most large airports using egates) and of course there will be slightly different implimentations at larger and smaller ports but the basics should be there for EU residents to have a fluid experience and not be queing with passports, cards, papers etc. I would point out that it matters not for me as I am a non resident.

I also dont see why the non EU flow should be cumbersome particularly those not requiring a formal visa.

Other countries who have far stricter immigration rules / laws manage to be efficient, the EU should manage it particularly with a new shiny system if they dont its a failure.

Last edited by UKMS; Nov 16th 2023 at 4:25 pm. Reason: .
Old Nov 16th 2023, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKMS
I appreciate that none of us know how it will work 'if and when' the new system comes live, but I would see it as a big and serious failing if EU residents cant simply use an egate, any efficient immigration system should know who is a citizen, who is a resident, who holds a valid visa etc etc. Of course there will be a filter to a manual booth in case of problems (as there is at most large airports using egates) and of course there will be slightly different implimentations at larger and smaller ports but the basics should be there for EU residents to have a fluid experience and not be queing with passports, cards, papers etc. I would point out that it matters not for me as I am a non resident.

I also dont see why the non EU flow should be cumbersome particularly those not requiring a formal visa.

Other countries who have far stricter immigration rules / laws manage to be efficient, the EU should manage it particularly with a new shiny system if they dont its a failure.
One problem that exists is there isn't just one EU-wide residence certificate/card, but each country issues its own. In Spain, for example, there is TIE which is now issued to non-EU citizens with residency, such as visa holders and British citizens who qualify under withdrawal agreement. Plus there is old green paper card or even older A4 sheet which certifies that the holder is EU citizen registered as residents. British citizens resident prior to mid 2020 have been issued with either and it's still valid - there is no obligation to change to the new TIE. So while the new TIE is machine readable and holder can presumably access e-gate from 2025, holders of older certificate will have to be manually processed. So unless every external border crossing point is equipped with special manned counter for residents, you risk being sent to a line for visa nationals.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 5:39 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Consider it a failure in that case :
The Study concluded that the added value of including LBT and residence permit holders within the EES would not outweigh the disadvantages, such as longer duration of border crossing or mandatory registration of EU family members in the EES. Therefore, it recommends not to register LBT and residence permit holders in the EES.
Technical Study on Smart Borders - Final Report
Old Nov 16th 2023, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Consider it a failure in that case :

Technical Study on Smart Borders - Final Report
Compiled 10 years ago and written 9 years ago when technology was a world away from today. This just shows that it’s out of date before it’s been implemented. (As are many things that are implemented by organisations that turn at the speed of an oil tanker )

Old Nov 16th 2023, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joppa
One problem that exists is there isn't just one EU-wide residence certificate/card, but each country issues its own. In Spain, for example, there is TIE which is now issued to non-EU citizens with residency, such as visa holders and British citizens who qualify under withdrawal agreement. Plus there is old green paper card or even older A4 sheet which certifies that the holder is EU citizen registered as residents. British citizens resident prior to mid 2020 have been issued with either and it's still valid - there is no obligation to change to the new TIE. So while the new TIE is machine readable and holder can presumably access e-gate from 2025, holders of older certificate will have to be manually processed. So unless every external border crossing point is equipped with special manned counter for residents, you risk being sent to a line for visa nationals.
I do understand that but if they are having a shared system someone can still be registered as a resident (on the shared system) according to that particular country. As for pieces of paper etc … I fully understand that but people would soon perhaps adopt a more modern attitude if travelling was made easier with a modern ID, it would perhaps ‘encourage’ people to update. There will always be edge cases and that’s what the manual system would be for. There always has to be provision for manual entries in case the egates fail (which I suspect they will quite often)
Old Nov 16th 2023, 6:12 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Compiled 10 years ago and written 9 years ago when technology was a world away from today. This just shows that it’s out of date before it’s been implemented. (As are many things that are implemented by organisations that turn at the speed of an oil tanker )
Of course. I just knew there'd be someone on here more qualified to commission, design and implement the system than those who were actually tasked with doing so.

Whenever the report was written and whatever decisions have been taken since, the EU Commission has much more recently confirmed that third country nationals resident in the EU should avoid using e-gates when the EES is implemented.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Of course. I just knew there'd be someone on here more qualified to commission, design and implement the system than those who were actually tasked with doing so.

Whenever the report was written and whatever decisions have been taken since, the EU Commission has much more recently confirmed that third country nationals resident in the EU should avoid using e-gates when the EES is implemented.
You don’t need to be particularly well qualified to know that technology in relation to immigration and perhaps more importantly National security has moved on leaps and bounds in 10 years.

You also don’t need to be particularly well qualified to look and experience how efficient travel can be when technology is implemented to make it such as in many countries. Perhaps you don’t travel that often and so don’t appreciate what I’m saying. Even some of the EU nations have some pretty impressive tech to improve passenger flows as well as improve security. Whenever this is implemented across the EU it should be state of the art and perhaps it will be and not based on 10 year old tech.

The EU commission have said many things about this system whether it turns out to be correct remains to be seen. The implementation date certainly hasn’t.

Old Nov 16th 2023, 10:23 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

To get back to the original subject matter, has there still not been a SINGLE PERSON expelled from Spain until now?