Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain has not expelled any Brits!

Spain has not expelled any Brits!

Old May 16th 2023, 12:55 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain has not expelled any Brits!

Originally Posted by DLC
No, just pointing out that like all the best cults, the answer to some perceived failure in Brexit is always more Brexit instead of highlighting the essential pointlessness of the entire endeavour.
It's a cult thing that was supposed to generate support among gullible, elderly folk that the gov't saw as a free way to "buy" their votes. Instead of giving them a better lifestyle/improving their standard of life (which requires £££)... just sell them hatred towards fellow Europeans.

Except that it wasn't free. There was of course a huge cost, but the party didn't have to foot the bill. The ENTIRE NATION did. Even the OBR made it clear that the damage caused by brexit will be greater than that caused by COVID-19. Let that sink in...

Originally Posted by DLC
In this case the belief was the UK must make changes to reciprocate on Schengen 90/180 day rules even though it would probably just end up making life more difficult for British-European families and few other people.
The UK and UE have reciprocal rules, and the only reason that they don't match in terms of days is that every side has set its own general rules for entry.

The UK lets all non-visa-requiring visitors in for 180 days, and that includes EU nationals.
The EU lets all non-visa-requiring visitors in for 90 days, and that includes UK nationals.

This is 100% reciprocal. Nobody is being discriminated against here in any way. If the EU were to raise that to 180 days for UK citizens then it would be giving them superior treatment, discriminating against everyone else... even though EU citizens would be getting nothing extra from the UK over other visitors.

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Maybe the UK needs their money.
Looking at the dire state of the economy the UK actually does need the money, but logic is not something you can apply to corrupt Tories who couldn't care less about people getting poorer as long as they can cling on to power. If Spain is looking the other way as tourists overstay in a moderate way... then that is quite a clever move.
Old May 16th 2023, 8:49 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The UK and UE have reciprocal rules, and the only reason that they don't match in terms of days is that every side has set its own general rules for entry.

The UK lets all non-visa-requiring visitors in for 180 days, and that includes EU nationals.
The EU lets all non-visa-requiring visitors in for 90 days, and that includes UK nationals.

This is 100% reciprocal. Nobody is being discriminated against here in any way. If the EU were to raise that to 180 days for UK citizens then it would be giving them superior treatment, discriminating against everyone else... even though EU citizens would be getting nothing extra from the UK over other visitors.
The UK's guidance is maximum six months per visit, so someone could in theory visit for six months, leave for a month, then go back for another six months, but the second time they'd need to convince a border force agent on the way in that they're just a tourist.

The main problem, just for Britons, is Schengen rules don't last all winter. Ireland's rules last all year but it's not the same.

But the UK doesn't have the room in airports or the people to reciprocate Schengen rules and EU countries know that I'm sure.

Last edited by DLC; May 16th 2023 at 9:10 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2023, 10:45 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
The UK's guidance is maximum six months per visit, so someone could in theory visit for six months, leave for a month, then go back for another six months, but the second time they'd need to convince a border force agent on the way in that they're just a tourist.
Back in the day the border force issued stamps in passports and then looked at those to see how many times (and when) someone has been entering the country.

Are they storing entry dates in a database nowadays, so that when someone arrives then can see their entire travel history on the screen?
Old Nov 10th 2023, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Back in the day the border force issued stamps in passports and then looked at those to see how many times (and when) someone has been entering the country.

Are they storing entry dates in a database nowadays, so that when someone arrives then can see their entire travel history on the screen?
I don’t know about that as when they check they examine the stamps. Also it would be possible for people to enter in one part of schengen and exit in another as the systems are not linked. So stamps are still important in tracking people in and out for now. Maybe one day there will be a state of the art next generation system which can track people coming in and out of a huge area like the schengen zone in real time.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
I don’t know about that as when they check they examine the stamps. Also it would be possible for people to enter in one part of schengen and exit in another as the systems are not linked. So stamps are still important in tracking people in and out for now. Maybe one day there will be a state of the art next generation system which can track people coming in and out of a huge area like the schengen zone in real time.
That's the purpose of EES (Entry Exit System) which is said to be introduced prior to ETIAS, now due in May 2025. Much delayed because of technical hitches. When implemented, that will replace stamping of passports for those not subject to Schengen visa.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 9:24 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

EES now scheduled for end 2024.

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2023...ut-ees-and-eti
Old Nov 10th 2023, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Thanks for the link, it was interesting.

​​​​​​I really like the sound of EES. It's a fully integrated system so delays in implementation are inevitable.

I'm hoping that my EU resident British partner will be joining me in the EU national channel where hopefully there will be a manual booth as well as automatic gates.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Stingychips
I don’t know about that as when they check they examine the stamps. Also it would be possible for people to enter in one part of schengen and exit in another as the systems are not linked.
I actually meant the UK system. How are we able to tell if people are leaving for a day and then coming back in cases where they're not giving stamps?
Old Nov 10th 2023, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
Thanks for the link, it was interesting.

​​​​​​I really like the sound of EES. It's a fully integrated system so delays in implementation are inevitable.

I'm hoping that my EU resident British partner will be joining me in the EU national channel where hopefully there will be a manual booth as well as automatic gates.
From what is happening now at external Schengen borders, I have my doubt if EES will speed up border formalities. While those with EU passport and presumably with ETIAS will just go through e-gate without further ado, those who are resident in EU and have residency documents such as TIE, carte de sejour, Aufenthaltserlaubnis etc will have to join a very long and slow-moving 'other' line together with visa nationals. My experience going through CDG with Spanish TIE was I nearly missed the connecting flight because of interminable delay. I somehow can't imagine France or any other Schengen country will create a line specifically for EU residents.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 7:52 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I actually meant the UK system. How are we able to tell if people are leaving for a day and then coming back in cases where they're not giving stamps?
They get advance passenger information sent by airlines, ferry companies, and train companies, the same info you have to fill in before travel (name, nationality, passport number, birth date).

Last edited by DLC; Nov 10th 2023 at 8:06 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DLC
They get advance passenger information sent by airlines, ferry companies, and train companies, the same info you have to fill in before travel (name, nationality, passport number, birth date).
Yes, there are those data but they are currently not systematically organised so that when you scan a passport, all such details will be instantly displayed on monitor. Plus API doesn't include your travel history, only the latest flight/ferry/Eurotunnel/Eurostar etc you have travelled on. Carriers only keep the data for 72 hours after your travel. UK is introducing similar system to Entry-Exit System in the next couple of years so it will be easier to track passengers in and out of UK.

Last edited by Joppa; Nov 10th 2023 at 8:43 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2023, 8:53 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

This data is transferred to the Home Office though. If the Home Office is unable to do anything useful with it then it's a pretty poor system... and yet I'd be more surprised if it turned out they could do anything useful with it.
Old Nov 11th 2023, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
From what is happening now at external Schengen borders, I have my doubt if EES will speed up border formalities. While those with EU passport and presumably with ETIAS will just go through e-gate without further ado, those who are resident in EU and have residency documents such as TIE, carte de sejour, Aufenthaltserlaubnis etc will have to join a very long and slow-moving 'other' line together with visa nationals. My experience going through CDG with Spanish TIE was I nearly missed the connecting flight because of interminable delay. I somehow can't imagine France or any other Schengen country will create a line specifically for EU residents.
EU nationals/residents will be exempt from both EES and ETIAS and therefore will not need to queue up for the various checks. I don't think EU residents will have a separate queue, I think they will probably queue with EU nationals but will have to go to a manual booth - there will always have to be a manual booth in case of any problems.

I agree that the non EU lane will be very slow moving once the new system is live.
Old Nov 11th 2023, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lou71
EU nationals/residents will be exempt from both EES and ETIAS and therefore will not need to queue up for the various checks. I don't think EU residents will have a separate queue, I think they will probably queue with EU nationals but will have to go to a manual booth - there will always have to be a manual booth in case of any problems.

I agree that the non EU lane will be very slow moving once the new system is live.
As I have said, it's up to each Schengen country to decide how to process EU residents at external border. Some will make it easy for them with minimum checks, others will lump them together with non-EU visa nationals for the simple reason that they have to be processed manually. The decision will partly depend on how many EU residents they have to deal with.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 8:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It must be true if it comes from the Daily Mail!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.