Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:20 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by agoreira
Just reading this in a Spanish forum, Spanish living and working in UK, or thinking about going there. Basically the OP living in Spain, has broken a tooth and has been quoted €1200 for an "implante", they are asking if they study in UK for a month will their SS pay for it in UK. Will it be free, or a reasonable price, as they are strapped for cash!
I dont think that even soft touch Uk would go that far, if they are entitled to free dental work, I am sure it would be in the form of a crown or the other things, I forget what they are called.

I cant image that implants would be paid for, but I could be wrong.

I hope that I am, because with the cuts that are being made it does seem extravagant compared to other solutions.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:27 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just reading this in a Spanish forum, Spanish living and working in UK, or thinking about going there. Basically the OP living in Spain, has broken a tooth and has been quoted €1200 for an "implante", they are asking if they study in UK for a month will their SS pay for it in UK. Will it be free, or a reasonable price, as they are strapped for cash!
Well I said it before this is what the UK is actually very good at, they will probably qualify if they haven't been paying in all their working life, Never gave me nowt though.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont think that even soft touch Uk would go that far, if they are entitled to free dental work, I am sure it would be in the form of a crown or the other things, I forget what they are called.

I hope that I am, because with the cuts that are being made it does seem extravagant compared to other solutions.
As luck would have it, or bad luck, the same happened to me this week, and they are quoting me in excess of £700! It'll be coming out before I pay that, it's not on show, it's near the back!
The thread I referred to is here, http://www.forolondres.com/foro/showthread.php?t=55908
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:34 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

As luck would have it, or bad luck, the same happened to me this week, and they are quoting me in excess of £700! It'll be coming out before I pay that, it's not on show, it's near the back!
Hungary is cheap for Dental work, I believe lots come for just that. I had some expensive work done in Spain, UK quote 2000 quid, in Spain I paid €430.

Took me 2 or 3 months to get the dentist had to pay 35 quid to see him and also 3 x rays at 15 quid each just to get the 2000 quid quote.

Last edited by anonimouse; Mar 24th 2011 at 10:53 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve lived and worked in, not just holidayed in, Germany, France, Scotland, England and Spain. Spain wins out of those countries, unequivocally.

But I made most of my money in England and spent most of my time there. Apart from a tiny Spanish income, I make my money in the UK to sustain my life in this guest friendly paradise. For me, it must be the best country in the world.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

No even the UK is daft enough to pay for those!
Unless things have changed since I left those shores, implants are not available on the NHS, they have to be paid for privately....and rightly so!

I was one of the lucky ones in my time there, I was registered for NHS Dental treatment, not everyone can get that these days!
It must be about five or six years ago now that I had a crown fitted, I had to pay towards the cost of that, if memory serves me well I think the cost to me was about £250 plus there was the cost of the ex-rays, several at £15 each.
Being someone who believes in fairness and doing things the right way, on leaving England I de-registered with both my dentist and doctor, but I know many who didn't and they go back for treatment, a situation that is most unfair on the tax payers of the UK.

It's a huge shame that every British resident can't have free dental treatment like in the past....it is one of the things that the UK did do best!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
I was one of the lucky ones in my time there, I was registered for NHS Dental treatment, not everyone can get that these days!
I believe it is difficult in some areas, very difficult! I was with a dentist for years, and he was NH, then a few years ago he went private and I decided to stick with him. I am now in the process of going back to NH, (he's retired, a young lady Dr has taken over, and she knows how to charge!) and am currently near the top of the waiting list, mainly because I have stated the particular practice I want to go to. My wife and nearly all friends however are all with a NH dentist, it's not too difficult to get one in our area.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:30 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
It's a huge shame that every British resident can't have free dental treatment like in the past....it is one of the things that the UK did do best!
I always thought that working people have always had to pay for dental treatment, there were certain groups that always had it free, but I remember when my wife was preganant, everybody said "OOH GREAT NOW YOU CAN HAVE FREE DENTAL TREATMENT" because befor although it was NHS we still had to pay a percentage of the treatment.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:04 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Hungary is cheap for Dental work, I believe lots come for just that. I had some expensive work done in Spain, UK quote 2000 quid, in Spain I paid €430.

Took me 2 or 3 months to get the dentist had to pay 35 quid to see him and also 3 x rays at 15 quid each just to get the 2000 quid quote.
Dental work is cheaper in Spain than the UK but not that cheap. There are a lot of ad's in the UK for cosmetic work in Hungary about half the price of the UK. but there have been some horror stories too
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:09 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its going to vary for different people for so many different reasons, but dental work here in our experience in Spain is about 50% less than in the UK.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:18 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I paid about 350 euro for a crown in Spain, that was 3 years ago.

If discussing in terms of best country and have about 3 children then dentistry is free for them in the UK. I think it is for low paid too?
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Dental work is cheaper in Spain than the UK but not that cheap. There are a lot of ad's in the UK for cosmetic work in Hungary about half the price of the UK. but there have been some horror stories too
Friend of ours went to Macedonia! Supposedly saved loads of money, but it involved a couple of trips out there, not sure I'd have bothered. They are not even short of money, both have well paid jobs, it was a huge amount of hassle to save a couple of grand.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:32 am
Banned

Friend of ours went to Macedonia! Supposedly saved loads of money, but it involved a couple of trips out there, not sure I'd have bothered. They are not even short of money, both have well paid jobs, it was a huge amount of hassle to save a couple of grand.
Easier to have them all whipped out and new ones fitted by Hygena
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:28 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was in my Spanish dentist’s recently to have three fillings replaced, they had only lasted about two years, fitted by the same dentist. I overheard his receptionist ordering new supplies from Alicante and she was haggling over the price, wanting the cheapest.

No wonder they don’t last long, and he’s not passing the cheapness on to his clients – I pay in cash without a receipt and it always comes to 500 Euros. I suppose it’s petrol money for his flash Mercedes parked outside his surgery.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 11:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
No wonder they don’t last long, and he’s not passing the cheapness on to his clients – I pay in cash without a receipt and it always comes to 500 Euros. I suppose it’s petrol money for his flash Mercedes parked outside his surgery.
Blimey
A filling at our dentist here in Oliva is €40 iirc. I had one done iirc about 3 years ago and is (touch wood) still fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.