Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:12 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by JLFS
Good post J1, I have never come across this before, that "incomers" to a country slag off their homeland at every opportunity, it did not happen in the UK with the Spanish, Italians, Portugese, and they had more grounds for bering discontent with their birth country, as they went to the UK because they did not have much in their own.

They still had fondness for the homeland and its people even though they left with nothing, but a lot of complain about the UK, despite the UK being partly responsible for the good life that they can enjoy in foreign climes.
Can you tell us the posters who only ever slag off their homeland?

I've seen quite a few posts from you slagging off Spain btw., but to be fair they don't make up the majority of your posts.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:14 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Now that's an interesting point. Why do so many Brits dislike their homeland so much?
Do you know what I dont know why, could it be that the ones who are like that are just a load of whinging w**kers?

Not being able to say one good thing that the the UK has, says more to me about the poster than the UK.

I could understand that type of moaning and belly aching coming from the Moroccans and other countries where they came to Spain with nowt, no money made on the sale of a house, no savings, no holiday home already bought.

But those people do not gripe all the time about their homeland, so maybe it is a British trait and the Aussie name of whiging poms is very apt.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:19 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they say they dislike their homeland so much so they can go along with the illusion that they have made the right choice in where they live. Some people cannot face up to the truth that Spain cannot be perfect when infact there is a lot wrong with it, just like the UK. or probably any other country in the world. The Spanish whinge about Spain all the time if you read the forums, just the same as they do in eg. the Daily Mail. Probably they whinge because they love their country.

Rugby Matt you are right...we are bonkers for taking the bait from a bloke who sits in the UK moaning about it and dreams of living in Spain but can't
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Can you tell us the posters who only ever slag off their homeland?

I've seen quite a few posts from you slagging off Spain btw., but to be fair they don't make up the majority of your posts.
Wrong, I have slagged off some oth the aspects about Spain, lack of social care and treatment of the poorer members of society.

Being who I am obviously I see a lot more of the more "unfair" aspects than people who dont have as many or any Spanish relatives.

I have seen people business being ruined by stupid jobsworth, and tales of hardship that would make you and other posters toes curl.

So isnt it right that I would be more vocal about the downside of being here, than other "incomers" that have no idea, one thing is being invited to a fiesta or barbie by the locals, another is really knowing how things are, if the are unemployed or whatever.

but dont confuse that with slagging off the UK just to score points.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 9:45 pm
Banned

One thing we as a family have to thank my parents for, is that they did actually return to visit Spain (unlike some posters who never want to set foot on British soil again) The kept in constant contact with family and friends and helped them out financially, investing in business for and with them and buying land, locales, bajos, solares etc.

Thanks to peoplre like them there are probably thousands of Italians Spanish ect, enjoying the benefits that were made possible by their parents makeing a special effort to keep in contact and help the folks left behind.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 23rd 2011 at 10:17 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:23 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Do you know what I dont know why, could it be that the ones who are like that are just a load of whinging w**kers?

Not being able to say one good thing that the the UK has, says more to me about the poster than the UK.

But those people do not gripe all the time about their homeland, so maybe it is a British trait and the Aussie name of whinging poms is very apt.

No, whingeing poms is about Brits who move to Australia and then complain about Australia.

I bitch about the UK. Towards the end of my time there I was almost terminally depressed with the whole thing. Weather, attitudes et al. There were some good points, but I traded them happily for the chance to move here.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
No, whingeing poms is about Brits who move to Australia and then complain about Australia.

I bitch about the UK. Towards the end of my time there I was almost terminally depressed with the whole thing. Weather, attitudes et al. There were some good points, but I traded them happily for the chance to move here.
I thought whinging poms was just a word for British whingers, like saying bloody krauts

I can understand people moaning about things in the Uk, but surely the ones living here should be able to see that is thanks to the Uk, that they can choose to live here with the nice lifestyle that they have. unlike other nationalities that still have to trudge around selling carpets in the autumn years.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by anonimouse
You are talking out of your rear end yet again, your comment suggests only Uk folk can make a good living and they should be grateful.
No I am not suggesting that, the same applies for Scandanavian, german, French, etc but as this is a site for British expats I thought mentioning them would be irrelvant.

People who do joined up thinking, know that there are 2 types of incomers to Spain, the ones that come from the above mentioned countries who have a big advantage over those who come over on a patera.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 23rd 2011 at 10:49 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:00 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well it seems that many of them return otherwise the numbers would have flopped long ago.
There are plenty of countries with more toll charges than the UK
The London charge is probably justified.
I agree the traffic is a bit much but there are loads of places where it's still quite reasonable.
As for the Tomtom,can you believe it anywhere ?
I've found it to be poor in Spain,but surely thats the fault of the company.
I don't know of any other cities one has to pay to enter, Not saying there aren't any mind.

My Tomtom will tell me a journey will take me so long to get there, it's been pretty acurate on that front right across Europe, that is until you get to the Uk and a 1 hour journey can take you 6 hours on a regular basis, and if you think this is only around major cities, try crossing from Dover to N. Wales it's almost a solid que all the way, take a look at the M6 motorway any day you choose, the M1 is not much better, they can be like a huge car parks

I know it's only down to sheer volume, but just clearing up what I meant by Tomtom being wrong in this respect is not the companies fault.

Last edited by anonimouse; Mar 24th 2011 at 9:03 am.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
You are the living embodiment of the Spanish saying "cada ladron juezga por su propia condicion" = "thieves judge others by their own faults".
Hopefully I'm not, hopefully my Spanish is better than that, and my conjugation of the verb juzgar would be correct, (try juzga) and I'd be able to use accents. Nice attempt with the Spanish, and judging you by your faults, looks like your Spanish could do with some work.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cantabrian
just read quite a bit of c--p!! the uk is not what it used to be but it still rates as one of the best--- cos of immigration! THEY want to bring it down to what they only know!! as for spain!!(please note no capital) they are still coming out of the TREES!! if you have a few euros in your pocket! and like to lick a--e you can be with the BIG boys, get yourself a green uniform and a gun,(no BRAIN needed) and you have a job (just been watching the road boys mending a pot-hole!! (lets flatten it with a shovel!!) spain is the a--ehole of europe (please buy my house so as i can return to to the UK)
Do you know the road maintenance? Exists in Spain, in your country I don't know

The only crap here is you

Last edited by Relampago; Mar 24th 2011 at 9:30 am.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is second global tourist destination, it is obvious that something must have, but I don't like to say that Spain is the best country in the world. Has good and bad, and can be improved

I think we should change some things, beginning with the political class we have, that is not protectionist with our companies and has sold our country and our industry since we enter in this great lie called European Union
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Hopefully I'm not, hopefully my Spanish is better than that, and my conjugation of the verb juzgar would be correct, (try juzga) and I'd be able to use accents. Nice attempt with the Spanish, and judging you by your faults, looks like your Spanish could do with some work.
why do you think i dont often post in Spanish, because agoreira always corrects me when I go wrong.

Cottoreos and soccer rat.........
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:29 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I don't know of any other cities one has to pay to enter, Not saying there aren't any mind.

My Tomtom will tell me a journey will take me so long to get there, it's been pretty acurate on that front right across Europe, that is until you get to the Uk and a 1 hour journey can take you 6 hours on a regular basis, and if you think this is only around major cities, try crossing from Dover to N. Wales it's almost a solid que all the way, take a look at the M6 motorway any day you choose, the M1 is not much better, they can be like a huge car parks

I know it's only down to sheer volume, but just clearing up what I meant by Tomtom being wrong in this respect is not the companies fault.
Tomtom has been responsible for trying to drag me through numerous country tracks and city back streets often in contravention of the traffic flow,when there was a perfectly simple and easy alternative
As for traffic I have little problem way up North in my own area of the UK, the only problem being when I have to drive through the crowded end of the country, however apart from one occasion I have normally got through it ok simply by timing my run.
Spain has built a number of excellent motorways in recent years, many of them the result of massive EU grants of which the UK had to fork out more than it's fair share.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Spain has built a number of excellent motorways in recent years, many of them the result of massive EU grants of which the UK had to fork out more than it's fair share.
And you don't forget the enormous money and the effort has been invested in the High Speed ​​in Spain. Now there is a Mediterranean Corridor project, which will link France with southern Spain

Grants are received by all member countries, notably Germany and France, and Spain can receive, but Spain is also paying. Grants are not free. It's money back and forth. And Spain paid a brutal price for entering the EU, which has practically not been required by new member countries

Last edited by Relampago; Mar 24th 2011 at 9:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.