Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:24 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Oh, OK ... sorry

Well, I travelled most of Europe in business ... but imho that doesnt give me the knowledge or right to say one is better than another.

When I say I dont think Spain is the best country in Europe I dont mean that is not a nice country to live in. I enjoy living here, it ticks all the boxes for what I want at the moment. However the bottom line is that I will always regard the UK as the best country for me. I lived there all my life. It gave me the ability to do what I am doing now.

Amongst many things, I enjoy the (green) countryside and architecture there. I enjoy the variety of scenery throughout the UK, the access to the kind of live music I like, and theatre, movies, every type of restaurant I can think of .. all within easy reach

I'm not keen on the weather I appreciate that there are issues with immigration and Government, and the yob culture, but its still the place as far as I am concerned

The only thing that gets me really down about Spain is the huge amount of effort it takes to get anything (even simple) done.
Some K Mitzy, a good post andyes the UK has enabled a lot to be able to pick and chose, because the were advantaged compared to other "incomers" to their preferred county.

But you dont have to be born the to appreciate it, I do and all things the UK has done for our family.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:20 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Some K Mitzy, a good post andyes the UK has enabled a lot to be able to pick and chose, because the were advantaged compared to other "incomers" to their preferred county.

But you dont have to be born the to appreciate it, I do and all things the UK has done for our family.
May I ask how long you and your family have lived in the uk?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:53 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
May I ask how long you and your family have lived in the uk?
I would say permanently since 1973 or 74, but before my dad would go over and do a stint working there in a hotel for a few months at a time since the late 60s, I have a feeling that my mum went over too to work a little, but I cant be sure about that. But things were really bad in Galicia at that time, and an "on yer bike" philosophy was needed, some headed off to south america, I suppose that was on the cards for our family too, but maybe they tossed a coin and the UK won-

It may sound strange but with the money they earned there, they could save a lot, because the cost of living was really low in comparison, of course, that would be impossible to do in this day and age.

From what I remember coach loads used to go over at a time, and all worked in domestic/catering, and the tips were very good.
As I was a young kid at the time, the details are a bit sketchy, but I dont think I am far wrong.

I suppose it is a bit like the Polish or other nationalities are doing now, as their living costs in Poland and average wages are much lower.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say permanently since 1973 or 74, But things were really bad in Galicia at that time, and an "on yer bike" philosophy was needed, some headed off to south america, I suppose that was on the cards for our family too, but maybe they tossed a coin and the UK won-
My nest door neighbour is from Ourense ... well .. a little place called San Fiz in Galicia. He left I think about the same time. Went to Italy, Switzerland, Belgium & France. He says things were tough also in Galicia
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:37 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

An old neighbour moved from madrid to Geneva when they married in their twenties and only returned to Spain when they retired. Two out of three of their children stayed on in Switzerland.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My nest door neighbour is from Ourense ... well .. a little place called San Fiz in Galicia. He left I think about the same time. Went to Italy, Switzerland, Belgium & France. He says things were tough also in Galicia
Switserland Belgium France, I would agree with but Italy was going through the same as Spain at the time, because an awful lot of Italians had to leave to find jobs, most of the restaurant jobs at the time were taken by Spanish and Italians ,and they could all understand eachother it was about the time that Italian food was becoming popular if my memory is correct.

Not many Spanish restaurants though, as the food has never caught on the way Italian food did.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the no-nonsense question from white linen and the way it was answered by Mitzy and Jackie. If you come from the UK to Spain and don’t agree that it’s the best country in the world, the UK can be your only alternative because otherwise you’d be living in what you consider the best country in the world.

For lots of reasons I considered the US to be the best country in the world for many years, and wanted to live there when it became possible. It got to quite an advanced stage and not all that long ago, until I made another exploratory visit after 9/11.

A series of impossibly fat guys, and gals from their homeland security made me change my mind, along with the disastrous dropping of the exchange rate. I should concentrate on the latter rather than judge a whole country on some ignorant border guards.

The supposed land of the free is still in the back of my mind, but I’m so settled in Spain now that it’s turning into a distant dream. Sadly. As they say in that part of London to the east of Aldgate Pump, I think my bottle’s gone.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well yes, the best country is always the one someone has visited briefly and don't know much about.

I know a few Italians from London who left Italy because they cant stand what their country has become with Silvio and friends.

It's impossible to objectively say what the best country is, you can only go on your personal thoughts and circumstances.

For me personally Spain is the best country in the world. If it wasnt I would get up and go and live in the one I thought was better. I dont understand why the rest of you dont, it must be awful always thinking there is something better that you will never experience.
I suppose that would be the obvious answer, but a lot of countries that English speakers would like to go to have very strict entry rules, not accepting people over a certain age, with health problems, even skilled people cannot get into some countires if there is no shortage of that particular skill.

Many factors including the amount of capital one has to have in the bank, especially for those the wrong side of 50 or whatever.

Of course being members of the EU, we have free movement to live with the community.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:08 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that would be the obvious answer, but a lot of countries that English speakers would like to go to have very strict entry rules, not accepting people over a certain age, with health problems, even skilled people cannot get into some countires if there is no shortage of that particular skill.

Many factors including the amount of capital one has to have in the bank, especially for those the wrong side of 50 or whatever.

Of course being members of the EU, we have free movement to live with the community.
Hungary still want to see your Bank balance before you become a resident.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

So they aren't stupid then?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:32 pm
Banned

And how much do you have to have in the bank? and does it have to stay there? just curious.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:41 pm

And how much do you have to have in the bank? and does it have to stay there? just curious.
2 million.

Just kidding, Not sure. mind you here 2 million is only about 6k.

They want to know that you can support yourself for the time you are there and they also want to see that you can pay for treatment should you become ill, your EHIC will suffice if you have one.

Last edited by anonimouse; Mar 24th 2011 at 10:04 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by bil
So they aren't stupid then?
Bil, when it comes to money, I think they were trained by the Uk lol, They are definitly not stupid when it comes to money.

Mind you, still cheaper than many places I have been, some things are ridiculously cheap, others are scandalous.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Deutschland ist gar nicht schlecht.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Just reading this in a Spanish forum, Spanish living and working in UK, or thinking about going there. Basically the OP living in Spain, has broken a tooth and has been quoted €1200 for an "implante", they are asking if they study in UK for a month will their SS pay for it in UK. Will it be free, or a reasonable price, as they are strapped for cash!
Hola a todos/as. Necesito ayuda. Se me ha roto un diente y mi denstista me pide cerca de 1200 por implante. Me han dicho que si vas a Londres a estudiar como un mes o así y con tu seguridad social de España te reparan la boca gratis o pagando una cantidad aceptable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.