Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by The Guy
OK.
Here goes.
Out of the 21 (or so) transponders / frequencies on Astra 1N that carry BBC ITV C4 Fives, and some Sky channels, only five transponders / frequencies have moved from 1N to 2F - this happened this Tuesday.

No BBC channels (apart from the two HD "test channels"), many ITV1 regions, ITV2,3,4, and most of the C4 group of channels have moved yet.

Since 1N is due to be elsewhere, the remaining transponders / frequencies will be moved from 1N sometime.

Now they may move to 2F also.

But as SES posted that only 5 transponders / frequencies would move from 1N to 2F, and "that part of migration is complete", it does suggest that these remaining transponders / frequencies will move onto the second new satellite - Astra 2E. ALso, all other channels (Sky and free) on the other two satellites - Astra 2a and Astra 2B - will also be moving to new satellites - when who knows....

Astra 2E is schedule for a launch "Q1 2013".
The 3rd new satellite, Astra 2G is expected to launch "Q1 2014"

Expect the same 1-2month timescale between launch and channels moving.
And at the moment no-one knows what reception of these next two new satellites will be like in Spain, or what sized dishes will be requried for a stable signal, ...and will not until people start to lose chanenls on their exisitng dishes and installers have done their tests.

So many months to go yet before all the changes are done.
On the basis of the above I am going to sit it out before deciding what route to take to maintain viewing. However some questions arise that you will be able to answer. As stated all the five group have gone + one of our Anglia channels and I can live with that for the time being. However I am confused as to what happens next. My SKY+ package is what used to be called the Knowledge Pack + £1 for SKY sports news, do I keep all the Discovery Channels and SKY sports news for instance when all have moved to their new destinations and will BBC1, 2,3,4 be available through my SKY box but not through my Freesat tuner in the TV or will it all depend for both tuners in increasing the dish size to something much bigger?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:56 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by John & Kath
My SKY+ package is what used to be called the Knowledge Pack + £1 for SKY sports news, do I keep all the Discovery Channels and SKY sports news for instance when all have moved to their new destinations and will BBC1, 2,3,4 be available through my SKY box but not through my Freesat tuner in the TV or will it all depend for both tuners in increasing the dish size to something much bigger?
Sky and Freesat receive their signals for their channels from the same satellites.
BBC1 London on a Sky box uses the same frequency as a Freesat box.
If you cannot gt it on a Sky box as yur dish is too small, a Freesat box will not be able to receive it either.

So yes. "it all depends for both tuners in increasing the dish size to something much bigger"

As for the pay channels - it all depends which beam (UK or European) Sky and the channels decide what beam to put them on.

Discovery UK may be on one beam, and Discovery+1 may be on another beam!

Even now there is a differnce for Sky channels: For example Sky sports 1,2 and 3 are available 24/7 on an 80cmdish in most of Spain. Yet, Sky Sports 4 and Sky Sports News can be unavailable mid afternoon even on some 2.4m dishes in some areas around Alicante. But the HD versions of All Sky Sports channels are available 24/7 on an 80cm dish.

Now if I were Sky, and wanted to milk expats for a bit more money, I would put the SD versions of channels on the harder to receive UK beam, and the HD versions (for which you have to pay an extra £10 per month HD subscription) on the easier to receive European beam. Bascally forcing them to pay more for their channels! It may not be ideal for the customers, but then they are in it to make money, and why not milk it for poeple who are using their cards against their T&Cs!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
Sky and Freesat receive their signals for their channels from the same satellites.
BBC1 London on a Sky box uses the same frequency as a Freesat box.
If you cannot gt it on a Sky box as yur dish is too small, a Freesat box will not be able to receive it either.

So yes. "it all depends for both tuners in increasing the dish size to something much bigger"

As for the pay channels - it all depends which beam (UK or European) Sky and the channels decide what beam to put them on.

Discovery UK may be on one beam, and Discovery+1 may be on another beam!

Even now there is a differnce for Sky channels: For example Sky sports 1,2 and 3 are available 24/7 on an 80cmdish in most of Spain. Yet, Sky Sports 4 and Sky Sports News can be unavailable mid afternoon even on some 2.4m dishes in some areas around Alicante. But the HD versions of All Sky Sports channels are available 24/7 on an 80cm dish.

Now if I were Sky, and wanted to milk expats for a bit more money, I would put the SD versions of channels on the harder to receive UK beam, and the HD versions (for which you have to pay an extra £10 per month HD subscription) on the easier to receive European beam. Bascally forcing them to pay more for their channels! It may not be ideal for the customers, but then they are in it to make money, and why not milk it for poeple who are using their cards against their T&Cs!
My neighbour is moaning already that she can´t watch Home and Away. She doesn´t ever use a computer. Now she wants hubbie to get Sky and and HD telly!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:09 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
My neighbour is moaning already that she can´t watch Home and Away. She doesn´t ever use a computer. Now she wants hubbie to get Sky and and HD telly!
But H&A is on C5.
C5HD does not need a Sky sub, just a working sky card (like a freesatfromsk free to view card).
At the moment...as there are always rumours that it will "soon go free to air" and no longer need a sky card to view...
And there is no telling what beam C5HD will move to if / when it does go free to air...for all we know it may go the same way as the standard defintion channels.....
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We use www.filmon.com its free and you get loads of channels
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cazzy1
We use www.filmon.com its free and you get loads of channels
Yes, but it is internet based and for those who are not computer literate that is a waste of time.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Yes, but it is internet based and for those who are not computer literate that is a waste of time.
Really?

Are you so computer illiterate that you can't type www.filmon.com and select UK TV and then select BBC 1?

It's really that simple. If you can't do that I'm amazed you can manage to post on this forum.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Really?

Are you so computer illiterate that you can't type www.filmon.com and select UK TV and then select BBC 1?

It's really that simple. If you can't do that I'm amazed you can manage to post on this forum.
Yes it really is that simple, and if you have the right connection lead you can then watch it through your TV instead of on your computer.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:10 am
Just Joined

morlandg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid when I do it all I get is a continuous 'Loading' sign!
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by morlandg
I'm afraid when I do it all I get is a continuous 'Loading' sign!
Do what?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

I just discovered it yesterday(filmon) thanks to it being posted on here, my wife is over the moon with it. where I currently live I get 2mb on a good day and it's working fine. Now when we move to Javea in the New Year I just need to discover the best/easiest way to get the football(in any language) and I'll be over the moon too...although the way my team is performing I may not bother
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Richie1892
Now when we move to Javea in the New Year I just need to discover the best/easiest way to get the football(in any language) and I'll be over the moon too..
Try; http://www.stopstream.tv/

I use it for football and rugby, has never let me down...
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

Cheers Cymru, will try that for my next episode of torture I watch on a couple of other sites at the moment, once we move I'll get a dish(there's already a smallish one at the property) then it's just a case of best availability, quanity of games and value whether it's in Spanish, French, Arabic etc doesn't really matter as my teams crap in any language
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:09 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

You support Bristol City as well then?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

lol...No, Newcastle United, a decent season to build your hopes up then knock them down the season after, it's the way forwards it seems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.