Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:44 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

C5HD is not yet available on freesat.
it is "free to view" and requries a working sky card.

Sized dish you require will be anything from 1.8 upwards by the looks of it.
I can tell from some reception reports a very high performing 1.35m dish in seville is not gettting these signals.
But this is only for this Astra 2F satellites UK beam.

We have no idea if / when other UK channels like BBC ITV C4s will change satellites, or what their reception will be. For all we know they may not move until the second (of three) new satellite Astra 2E is operational early next year. And it will be pointless in trying to guess what its UK Beam reception wil be like, and it may mean if you get a bigger dish today to get reception of "the fives" back, no-one can gaurentee that it will receive the channels on the uk beam of 2e...

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 4th 2012 at 5:53 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, JaƩn
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

For The Guy....thank you for you earlier advice about holding off.....will do until what size dishes that may or nor not be required...say in Spring next year...
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by The Guy
C5HD is not yet available on freesat.
it is "free to view" and requries a working sky card.

Sized dish you require will be anything from 1.8 upwards by the looks of it.
I can tell from some reception reports a very high performing 1.35m dish in seville is not gettting these signals.
But this is only for this Astra 2F satellites UK beam.

We have no idea if / when other UK channels like BBC ITV C4s will change satellites, or what their reception will be. For all we know they may not move until the second (of three) new satellite Astra 2E is operational early next year. And it will be pointless in trying to guess what its UK Beam reception wil be like, and it may mean if you get a bigger dish today to get reception of "the fives" back, no-one can gaurentee that it will receive the channels on the uk beam of 2e...
my best SKY+ box has a free to view card but to get HD would I need a HD box?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 6:35 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That makes sense.

On a slightly different subject, I see that a number of companies are offering FTA channels via ADSL with a small box you plug into the TV/phone line. Teletec, Europa and Direct Telecom being some examples.

Are these worth considering and are they any good? I get the impression they are just trying to get you to change over your ADSL to them.
The same sort of this you get with other internet TV systems.
Good if you have a decent stable connection - and no-one else is clogging up the line.
See one of those mentioned stop and start constantly even on a 6m line with no other use. (was like watching Norman Collier - dodgy mic routine)
And of course, blowing the image up onto a large screen can mean issues with quality of the image (but not wanting to start on that one again!!) But quality cannot compare to DTH HD satellite!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that would be the case.

I have been playing around with BBC iPlayer and if I use the iPad app and download the programme using the high quality option it is acceptable on a 46" TV.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

albertito is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI everyone.
I have had no loss of channels at all with this iptv system. The only thing that changed now is that channel FIVE is temporarily unavailable for Catchup but the rest is fine and live. if anyones interested in the channels available: http://dtmedia.tv/live-uktv-radio
This lists all the channels.

What the list does not tell you however is which ones are available for the two week catchup and video on demand. So i thought i'd put a little list together:
catchup channels: BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, ITV2, ITV4, Channel4, Film4, CBBC and FIVE.
As I said, FIVE is currently not available (actually disappeared off the list today i noticed)

apparently this also works on any other internet connection, so I was not forced to get their internet. (i simply chose to in the end as the dtmediaplus package was 4.99 for the catchup if i did).

anyway, for me this was the solution. no satellite to worry about, no room to take up on my not so big terrace and no extra costs. just the 150 euros for the STB plus the P&P.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, JaƩn
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone know, if we are going lose ITV tomorrow and BBC next week, as I have heard a rumour that these channels will be lost sooner than later?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

They will go at some point.
The recent changes to the Fives etc. were announced in advance. There has been nothing as far as I am aware to substantiate that rumour.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Does anyone know, if we are going lose ITV tomorrow and BBC next week, as I have heard a rumour that these channels will be lost sooner than later?
No one, outside the broadcasters ses sky and freesat, really knows and anything you hear will be pure rumour and speculation.

They could move to 2F tomorrow, or they could stay where they are and move to 2e, the second new satellite, whcih is scheduled for launch "q1 2013".

In the previous move from 2d to 1n, the BBC posted a blog that said changes would happen. This was posted about 4 days befor the changes. So far nothing.

And Sky have a "lockdown" to their EPG system to prevent any changes happening over the festive period that may cause disruption to xmas viewing.

My gut is if they dont move by the end of next week (which i dont think they will), they will move to 2e....maybe around april / may time...after launch and testing.

Originally Posted by lyric050203
They will go at some point.
The recent changes to the Fives etc. were announced in advance. There has been nothing as far as I am aware to substantiate that rumour.
"announced in advance" - probably becuase their press agent got too many "whats happening when" questions he thought it woul dbe simpler to post a quite note on their facebook page!!

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 5th 2012 at 5:52 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone missing channel 5 can still watch it and all the other free to view channels at no cost online here.....

http://www.filmon.com/#LIVE

HD channels on there too, but they have to be paid for.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Anyone missing channel 5 can still watch it and all the other free to view channels at no cost online here.....

http://www.filmon.com/#LIVE

HD channels on there too, but they have to be paid for.
Yes, it's been around a long time now, not that I'm interested in UK TV, but there are a few basic Spanish channels there, plus a friend that is learning Italian uses it as well.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath
my best SKY+ box has a free to view card but to get HD would I need a HD box?
Yes.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting a bit confused about these changes. Some are reporting reception problems presumably due to changes having occurred, but there are also references to future changes and all is not complete yet.
I was feeling pretty relieved as I've lost no channels despite the changes, but should my relief now be tempered by the prospect of further changes in the near future? Could my euphoria be short lived?
Thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:05 am

OK.
Here goes.
Out of the 21 (or so) transponders / frequencies on Astra 1N that carry BBC ITV C4 Fives, and some Sky channels, only five transponders / frequencies have moved from 1N to 2F - this happened this Tuesday.

No BBC channels (apart from the two HD "test channels"), many ITV1 regions, ITV2,3,4, and most of the C4 group of channels have moved yet.

Since 1N is due to be elsewhere, the remaining transponders / frequencies will be moved from 1N sometime.

Now they may move to 2F also.

But as SES posted that only 5 transponders / frequencies would move from 1N to 2F, and "that part of migration is complete", it does suggest that these remaining transponders / frequencies will move onto the second new satellite - Astra 2E. ALso, all other channels (Sky and free) on the other two satellites - Astra 2a and Astra 2B - will also be moving to new satellites - when who knows....

Astra 2E is schedule for a launch "Q1 2013".
The 3rd new satellite, Astra 2G is expected to launch "Q1 2014"

Expect the same 1-2month timescale between launch and channels moving.
And at the moment no-one knows what reception of these next two new satellites will be like in Spain, or what sized dishes will be requried for a stable signal, ...and will not until people start to lose chanenls on their exisitng dishes and installers have done their tests.

So many months to go yet before all the changes are done.

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 6th 2012 at 11:42 am.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

At least on that timescale there is a chance to sort out your chosen alternative for those outside the 2F footprint.
Right now I haven't lost anything that remotely interests us except ITV Granada HD and ITV HD is recoverable, just that one is from the Granada area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.