Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

I wanted to make absolutely sure that any non reception of the test transmission was not just due to bad alignment I got out my meter and tweaked the dish so that I was getting the best possible reception. That, on my setup gives 90% signal strength and 100% signal quality on almost all of the Astra 1N channels.

The test transmission is of two regional BBC HD channels so it made sense to compare the reception of the test transmission with the existing, very strong, BBC1 HD channel on Astra 1N.

Having done that I manually input the frequency details and did a search - no luck, it wouldn't even lock on let alone get a signal strength/quality reading.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 11:02 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for that. Again, embarrassingly exposing my lack of knowledge I suppose, but in non-Freesat mode all channels start with the number 5. Why do the ones quoted above begin with the number 8 and not 5 or continue into starting with 6? As far as I can ascertain there are no channels beginning with 8 leaving aside the 2 test ones.
Also if you have identified 2 channel numbers above, have you tuned them in? If so what are the results?
Sorry if this prompts a big sigh of despair from you!

*SIGH*

In freesat mode channels numbers are as per the freesat channel list - starting at 100.

In non freesat mode chanenls are listed starting from 5001.

the 8901 and 8911 are channel names - eventually they will be changed to BBC1 HD Wales and BBC 1 HD Scotland...
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

albertito is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea what size dish I would need in the north of Spain for an apparment near barcelona. (casteldefels)?

I have heard so many rumors i dont know what to believe any more.
Friends in the canaries reckon they will need about 6m dish but apparently there are people in Costa del Sol who can pick up the signal with 1.2m dish.

I dont have a dish yet and currently using the free trial from dtmedia.tv which works great even on 3 megs. Once the trial is over, i need to decide if i get a dish or if i stick with the iptv alternative which i can easily get used to.
thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:06 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertito
Any idea what size dish I would need in the north of Spain for an apparment near barcelona. (casteldefels)?.
Reports suggets a 80cm dish is working fine for the single test frequency in barcelona, just like it has been OK inthe past.

Of course this is assuming things remain as the same ...

Friends in the canaries reckon they will need about 6m dish .
Some reports are saying signals are coming and going on a 3m dish - but which part of the islands that is i dont know.

but apparently there are people in Costa del Sol who can pick up the signal with 1.2m dish..
Not according to the reports I have seen!
1.2s in the CDS / Andalucia have not been able to receive the signals from the new satellite. 1.8s and 2.4s yes.

Many people are getting confused as to what they can and cannot recieve as people are thinking all BCB HD channels have moved...when in fact only two "test" bbc hd channels have moved. So people are reporting no changes as they are not using the correct frequency to test on!

a good map with a lot of reception reports for various dish sizes:
http://tinyurl.com/axdvvqe
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:25 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

as they are broadcasting "test channels" who is to say that they are the final footprints. they are proving the satellite and its components, so it is a question of wait and see - after all one of the transmitter channels may fail and it will all be back to square one.

`
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

yes, according to the map, 80cm should be enough....
I guess we will have to wait and see to be for sure.

I have friends in the canaries who are getting a bit nervous about it all. according to them, they really are going to need a huge dish. I know someone with a 2.9m dish and cant even pick up the test signals for the Astra 2F. Think this is why everyone is getting this dtmedia.tv alternative as not everyone has a large enough roof or terrace to place such a large dish....let alone the expenses of buying and fitting one.

I will wait to see what happens, but thanks so much for all the info and the map link. Anyone know when it will all change for good??

thanks
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Re' dtmedia, as a matter of interest, by utilising what tech' system are they able to access these programmes in order to offer this service?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

no idea sorry. probably wont beat a proper dish, but the quality has impressed me so far. will keep you informed. maybe stops working too...who knows
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

no idea sorry. probably wont beat a proper dish, but the quality has impressed me so far. will keep you informed. maybe stops working too...who knows
Perhaps they use a very large dish to receive and then re-transmit it. Does anyone know?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

More reception reports here.

http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/astr...ionreports.htm
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:47 pm

No changes yet - but according to SES facebook page, some frequencies for ITV C4 and Five will be moved this coming Tuesday. No mention of any other frequencies..which is weird.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:48 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

ALL BBC/ITV/C4/C5 change satellites early tuesday

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...5&p0=534&csz=1
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by BAT7311
ALL BBC/ITV/C4/C5 change satellites early tuesday
Are you sure?
People in "affected" areas that i have been in contact with are only reporting loss of 4seven, 4hd, one or two itv regions and "the fives", with other bbc itv and c4 channels still being received as before?

It looks like the following frequencies and channels are the only ones that have moved to 2f last night:
10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1),
10.994 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Granada HD/ITV 1 Central South West SD/ITV 1 Anglia West SD/ITV 1 Meridian North SD/ITV 1 Yorkshire East SD/ITV 1+1 Yorkshire SD),
11.052 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Central South SD/ITV 1 Central East SD/ITV 1+1 Wales SD/ITV 1+1 Westcountry SD/ITV 1+1 Tyne Tees SD)
11.126 V SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (Channel 4 HD/4Seven SD)

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 4th 2012 at 8:27 am.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by The Guy
Are you sure?
People in "affected" areas that i have been in contact with are only reporting loss of 4seven, 4hd, one or two itv regions and "the fives", with bbc channels still being received as before?

It looks like the following frequencies and channels are the only ones that have moved to 2f last night:
10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1),
10.994 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Granada HD/ITV 1 Central South West SD/ITV 1 Anglia West SD/ITV 1 Meridian North SD/ITV 1 Yorkshire East SD/ITV 1+1 Yorkshire SD),
11.052 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Central South SD/ITV 1 Central East SD/ITV 1+1 Wales SD/ITV 1+1 Westcountry SD/ITV 1+1 Tyne Tees SD)
11.126 V SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (Channel 4 HD/4Seven SD)
Scary we seem to have lost CH 5, Anglian West on my two sky + boxes but Anglian East is still there on my Freesat tele!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Scary we seem to have lost CH 5, Anglian West on my two sky + boxes but Anglian East is still there on my Freesat tele!
Well as you can see from the list Anglia West is one of the affected frequencies - anglia east is not - so i would expect a difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.