Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by jimenato
Nice ad (and quite well disguised)

How much does it cost per month?

My thoughts exactly Jimanato!
Let's have the information to go with the propaganda and sales pitch!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertito
OK everyone, after several weeks testing this iptv system, to me it has certainly become clear that I'm not going to be looking for any kind of Sat installation and i wanted to share this with you. It all starts to make sense to me, the more I look into it.
I now understand the concept of what they call the CVR (cloud video recorder), which I get with the subscription, and now they have added another 6 channels, so this means that I now have 2 weeks worth of recorded content from 15 channels.
seriously, if i wanted to attempt this via a Sat setup, how on earth would i achieve it? my CVR is recording it all automatically and through the system, I can just click and watch what I want whenever i want. all in all, the catchup is honestly amazing and I even use it from the uk.

The impression I get at the moment is that it is time to start looking into solutions like this http://dtmedia.tv because it is clearly the future to me. it works perfectly already and now the whole Sat solution with all the rest of it feels like going back to old technology.

anyway, this is my opinion. I am really excited about what i am seeing, using and where I can see it all going. I would encourage all of you with an internet connection to give it a go, because it really works well and you dont need any dishes on the roof or occupying the terrace nor will you need any recorders.

I now have no satellite dish, no DVR but I do have 38 TV channels, 14 days Catchup for 15 channels wh¡ch all works perfectly though my internet connection. I am watching one channel on the TV and another on the ipad.
And i have just realized that I hardly use the internet for anything other than watching tv! its crazy but if you think about it....it all makes sense.
as you say, its crazy having the internet just to watch television

there's me using it for things like BE and Wiki and emails and telephones and my own company website and another on the way
so perhaps I should just sit at home and just watch TV
at least I get some pro-active enjoyment out of my bb charge.

quite honestly I don't have the time or inclination to watch tv much, its only on for about 6hrs in the evening and a couple of extra hours on the weekend as the BH likes to watch the american house makeover prog. But thats all on Spanish Terrestial TV with the little button switching it over to English.

Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point

Jimenato tut tut how could you suggest that Albertito has a vested financial interest in this wonderful product, he simply wishes to share this with us all; for which we must be grateful. for my part I am rushing out to buy at least two; see you there.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless I am missing something it is meaningless without knowing the adsl speed.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

albertito is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed, it seems that giving a sincere opinion about something which works for me goes down like an advert....and this must be why I have been sent PM's. PM's to ask me how my iptv experience has gone, because the questions are obviously treated as sales pitches too i suppose.
Economic interest...sure! I get the 20€ credit for recommendation (as do all their customers) so please mention my name if you sign up ;-)

Regarding the speed (@lyric050203), you get a free trial, sorry if that sounds like an advert too.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK add the missing word at the end - required
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by albertito
Indeed, it seems that giving a sincere opinion about something which works for me goes down like an advert....and this must be why I have been sent PM's. PM's to ask me how my iptv experience has gone, because the questions are obviously treated as sales pitches too i suppose.
Economic interest...sure! I get the 20€ credit for recommendation (as do all their customers) so please mention my name if you sign up ;-)

Regarding the speed (@lyric050203), you get a free trial, sorry if that sounds like an advert too.
Sorry 'albertito', but still devoid of any real information. That's all that's being requested.
"I've got something and it's great" is of little use here without more information.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

albertito is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry 'Biffta', please check post#179 where you will find the link to all the "real information" you need.

@lyric. ADSL speed required, their info says 6MB recommended but i know people using it in france on 1Mb.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried DT Media as a free 3 day trial. First impression is that the picture quality is pretty good even with a 3mb connection that usually only manages about 2.5mb.

So much for their claim that you need a connection with them for it to work properly.

Not TV HD quality of course, it doesn’t claim to be, but almost as good as the standard SD TV quality. That is watching it on a 46” HDTV via an iPad/Apple TV combo.

However it’s actually pretty expensive. They only really are interested in getting you to change over to their ADSL service. They charge €49.90 and include the TV service “Free”. If you don't want to change to their expensive ADSL service they charge you €14.95 for the TV service and another €9.99 if you want the “Catchup TV” option.

That’s a bit heavy as Telefónica now charge about €35 for a landline + ADSL and about €40 if you include free national calls and limited calls to mobiles.
Also under the new Fusion contract for €49.90 I get the above plus a mobile contract that includes 500 mins of calls, free texts and 1gb of data all for the same price (which would be about €30/mth for a similar mobile only contract). The all inclusive, one bill service for all three is €49.90 +iva.

There is no way they could persuade me to change to their service with all the potential problems of having to deal with two companies when there is a problem. Always remember that whatever all these companies tell you, their service is entirely dependent on using Telefonica lines and equipment.

Personally I would use Filmon which is free and runs in an iPad app and gives just the same quality.

They also try to get you to buy a set top box which isn't needed if you use a laptop or tablet – a phone even! They claim that it is €100 off the recommended price which is rubbish as they are freely available from many sources at the same price or less. It's the easiest way of connected, granted but it's not the only way.

Anyway, we have another 6 months before the remaining channels move and even then it isn't clear what the result will be. By then there will be many more IPTV options available without the need to change your phone service. And probably much cheaper than at present.

For the (Mod) record, I don’t consider Albertito’s post an ad, just an over enthusiastic post from a satisfied (possibly misguided) user.

But, we do need reports from actual users of these systems because many of us are interested in the actual user experience rather than the marketing rubbish so thank you Albertito for you contribution.

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 4th 2013 at 4:37 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred, with all this potential streaming going on do you think the Spanish internet infrastructure will cope ? I have my doubts
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

We may think we are important but in the scheme of things we represent a tiny part of the Internet structure in Spain.

On the other hand if your telephone line is on the same circuit as a load of other Corrie hungry ex-pats the speed could be an issue as you share the total bandwidth - it's called "contention".
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Like yours, mine is slow enough already ! and I don't have the landline option "no more numbers"
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Hi to all of the converted and the doubters,
Internet TV, is a viable (in my case, better) option to sat TV. The only limitation being internet speed.
When I first came to Alicante, 7 years ago, I was very dissatisfied with sat TV (even with a large dish). When it rained, & at 10 p.m. every evening, the picture deteriorated. So I had it all checked out (new LNB & cables) and even bought an alignment meter to see for myself that the guy new what he was doing setting things up....no change!
Then I heard about TV on the internet (Hide My I.P. & Film On etc.) and thought I'd give it a try. To my delight it worked. BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, FilmOn (the excellent HD version with record facility, not the SD version, that has poor picture quality), and in those days, TVCatchup) all worked perfectly. Then 3 years ago I found out about 'Eoropa.com' and their free TV service. I signed up with them and haven't looked back (incidently Fred, if there is a problem with the line, I don't have to deal with two companies, Telefonica sort it out!).
I live in an area where I have an 8MB connection, giving good 24/7 TV, those of us who live in areas with lower speeds are stuck with satellite TV, that is a shame, but please don't try and put people off trying online TV. For some of us it is a far better option. Indeed it is the way TV is going!!!

John.

Last edited by Saxy; Jan 4th 2013 at 9:40 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Saxy
(incidently Fred, if there is a problem with the line, I don't have to deal with two companies, Telefonica sort it out!). .
That's precisely what they are supposed to do but on many occasions users have got into the situation where each side says its the others problem.

Telefonica will always fix a line fault but it's the other sort of obscure problems that they may try to avoid solving.

I agree with you about the Filmon SD quality problem but I have found that if you use their iPad app it seems to give you the HD stream for free!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Well let's hear from those who have had these obscure problems, I certainly haven't had any.
Come on guys, let's hear from you!!!

John.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.