Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Jan 5th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Just seen this tweeted by Lord Sugar as the way forward.

http://www.uktveverywhere.com/
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's just the same as all the other offers.

BBC iPlayer and ITV player are free, offer live TV and offer catchup TV services.

I can't think of any good reason to pay for these services.

If the Sky channels go as well even Sky offer free online services to existing subscribers with Sky Go. I am currently using a friends Sky subscription to watch Sky Sports and Sky movies here in Spain - he doesn't use it and anyway you can connect two devices to the service.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's just the same as all the other offers.

BBC iPlayer and ITV player are free, offer live TV and offer catchup TV services.

I can't think of any good reason to pay for these services.

If the Sky channels go as well even Sky offer free online services to existing subscribers with Sky Go. I am currently using a friends Sky subscription to watch Sky Sports and Sky movies here in Spain - he doesn't use it and anyway you can connect two devices to the service.
But it says it is a box! Are you watching Sky Go on a tablet or computer?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

My big concern is that our skyplus will be useless. I want to be able to pause and record programmes when/if we lose these channels,
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:24 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
But it says it is a box!
Most other "IPTV" UK TV serivces also use a box.
And offer pause, and 14 day backward tv and "cloud recording".
It is the same service offered by many others... probably using the same servers, but a different selling name!

One way for sky subscribers, it to get a Sky+HD box, get a VPN, and use Catchup / iplayers on there. This is assuming the sky box does not need an actual BBC TV signal to work....as I undestand the iplayer on Freesat requires a BBC signal to function...
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Guy
Most other "IPTV" UK TV serivces also use a box.
And offer pause, and 14 day backward tv and "cloud recording".
It is the same service offered by many others... probably using the same servers, but a different selling name!

One way for sky subscribers, it to get a Sky+HD box, get a VPN, and use Catchup / iplayers on there. This is assuming the sky box does not need an actual BBC TV signal to work....as I undestand the iplayer on Freesat requires a BBC signal to function...
I have already got the sky+HD box, so that should work with say Filmon via a computer? So that´s useful. Suppose it is going to mean buying another computer so I can still use it for what it was intended for!
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:05 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I have already got the sky+HD box, so that should work with say Filmon via a computer?
Not sure what you mean....

Filmon does not work on Sky boxes.
Filmon uses its own internet or web applications to watch "stolen" streams.

Sky+HD boxes have access to the original and official iplayer and catchup services direct from the uk broadcasters...as long as you connect the sky+hd box to a router using a VPN service. YOu dont need to buy another pc, just a router, that connects to the exisitng adsl modem / router, and loaded with a vpn service.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=The Guy;You don't need to buy another pc, just a router, that connects to the existing adsl modem / router, and loaded with a vpn service.[/QUOTE]

On that point "Guy", regarding the routers I've looked at which come loaded with a VPN service, are these services free, in that you've paid for the service in the cost of the router? Or, is it the case that once you've bought the router there is then a subscription or charge to activate the VPN service?
I ask because I can't see how some VPN services charge and yet they also come bundled with some routers.
Thanks.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Sky+HD boxes have access to the original and official iplayer and catchup services direct from the uk broadcasters...as long as you connect the sky+hd box to a router using a VPN service. YOu dont need to buy another pc, just a router, that connects to the exisitng adsl modem / router, and loaded with a vpn service.
I am just totally confused.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Biffta
On that point "Guy", regarding the routers I've looked at which come loaded with a VPN service, are these services free, in that you've paid for the service in the cost of the router? Or, is it the case that once you've bought the router there is then a subscription or charge to activate the VPN service?
I ask because I can't see how some VPN services charge and yet they also come bundled with some routers.
Thanks.
Most VPNs I have seen provide the preconfigured router (at a cost - and saves you having to configure it youurself) and then you also have to sub to their service.

Personally, I have a router that I myself loaded with ddwrt.
I then subbed to a VPN service, and configured the router for that VPN service myself. I did it this way so I could use a router that is readily available in Spain.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=The Guy;10466715]Most VPNs I have seen provide the preconfigured router (at a cost - and saves you having to configure it youurself) and then you also have to sub to their service.

I then subbed to a VPN service, and configured the router for that VPN service myself. I did it this way so I could use a router that is readily available in Spain.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that. I know my router is unsuitable for ddwrt as I've checked their site. I've seen others that are suitable and some which come with a VPN loaded. One model. the Asus Dark Knight looked very impressive and well reviewed, but expensive.
I thought there must be a charge for the VPN and that just because it came with the router, the service itself wouldn't be free!
Thanks again.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:33 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Biffta;10466734]
Most VPNs I have seen provide the preconfigured router (at a cost - and saves you having to configure it youurself) and then you also have to sub to their service.

I then subbed to a VPN service, and configured the router for that VPN service myself. I did it this way so I could use a router that is readily available in Spain.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that. I know my router is unsuitable for ddwrt as I've checked their site. I've seen others that are suitable and some which come with a VPN loaded. One model. the Asus Dark Knight looked very impressive and well reviewed, but expensive.
I thought there must be a charge for the VPN and that just because it came with the router, the service itself wouldn't be free!
Thanks again.
you can get a Cisco VPN router for about £70, a VPN service on subscription for about €6.95 a month

`
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

This is for The Guy...
I was in conversation with someone earlier today who said that there was a possibility that the narrow bands may have to revert to as before due to something about a legal requirement for Astra TV signals to reach Gibraltar and Jersey..
I said that this sounds like another rumour doing the circuit, but is there any substance in this at all...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
This is for The Guy...
I was in conversation with someone earlier today who said that there was a possibility that the narrow bands may have to revert to as before due to something about a legal requirement for Astra TV signals to reach Gibraltar and Jersey..
I said that this sounds like another rumour doing the circuit, but is there any substance in this at all...
Rumour.
The UK TV broadcasters have no, and have never had, obligation to broadcast to Gibralter.
It is a "Dependancy" and is not part of the UK and so not covered by UK broadcasting rules. (in very laymans terms).

The "decent" reception from previous 10+ years was due to the satellite having a "side lobe" of signal in that direction - nothing at all about UK TV MUST be made available in Gibralter.

Reception in Jersey is fine - no need to change anything.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our local Sky guy told us this week that he is buying "boxes" from Majorca for about 128 euros and using these to replay for the last 14 days catch up but there is a 280 euros a year subscription, which sounds like a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.