Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Secret of Zaras success??

The Secret of Zaras success??

Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:43 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Secret of Zaras success??

Originally Posted by amideislas
I'm certain that most companies seek to minimise their costs, and when vendor a can offer them product-x at 30% less cost than vendor b, even when guaranteed that product-x will be responsibly sourced (even if they don't actually live up to that), then I needn't explain that logic.

I think if you go to Eroski and a can of beans is €3, and at Lidl, the same brand of beans is €1.50, you might also consider the Lidl beans, or if you feel particularly morally responsible at that moment, you may rationalise to pay €3 on moral grounds.

Therein lies the problem. WE won't work in a factory for less than, say, €15 per hour, 38 hour work weeks, 6 weeks of holiday, 14-month work year, Christmas bonus, etc..... In fact in some cases, it might not even be legal to accept less.

But at the same time, we equally want everything we buy to be inexpensive, and further, we prefer all the cheap stuff we want to be made in factories where people like us work, receiving all the cushy benefits we would demand.

Further, we want those businesses who sell us all this stuff at low prices, to pay much higher taxes than we do. After all, they're making all that profit by selling us all that stuff at cheap prices and paying their staff generous wages and benefits.

Then, when they discover it all doesn't reckon out, they move parts of their operation to places where people are delighted to get the work (excluding the obvious slave conditions alleged here), we scream bloody murder about "outsourcing" to get cheaper labour.

I don't know. I tried to reckon it out, but my calculator exploded.
Big difference between outsourcing to a more economic source of supply operating under humane conditions and outsourcing to slave, child and political prisoner labour for instance, no wages at all involved, as was the case in China, don't know if still is.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:54 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Big difference between outsourcing to a more economic source of supply operating under humane conditions and outsourcing to slave, child and political prisoner labour for instance, no wages at all involved, as was the case in China, don't know if still is.
Nobody is suggesting any of that is acceptable, and I would find it very difficult to believe that Zara would honestly believe otherwise.

This article offers what appears to be credible evidence that slave conditions exist in Argentina and a few other places in South America. Yes, that's bad.

The problem I have with it is that the entire spirit of the article appears to aspire to implicate Zara as a willful and knowing conspirator in the South American slave trade for the sole purpose of greed and profit, and even dares to subtly imply that Zara is the very reason for it (completely dismissing irresponsible government labour policy and enforcement, which would be the more believable conclusion, especially in places like Argentina), and worse, it doesn't even attempt to offer one shred of evidence to support that implication, other than the fact that slave labour shops have been known to manufacture goods for Zara. Sorry, but that does NOT prove or really, even provide sufficient grounds to implicate Zara's complicity.

This is not responsible journalism. It is sensationalism.

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 4th 2013 at 1:10 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:41 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It is not just cost of manufacture, these major corporations pay a fraction of the tax in % terms you and I pay on our incomes. Google, Amazon, Starbucks etc etc.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
...I believe Apple were mentioned for example, though I've no idea under what circumstances.
There is a company with unique and very desirable products which has been able to stick almost any price label they wished on their boxes in recent years, knowing full well that joe public will still readily cough up the necessary, so why on earth should such as they they need to stoop to such depths,... if indeed it is the case ?...
In Apple's case its simply so they can add money to their $137 Billion cash reserve, yes you read that right, they have $137,000,000,000 just lying around doing nothing (most of it offshore to avoid tax of course)
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

@Amideislas This is not responsible journalism. It is sensationalism'

I don't normally read the Telegraph but I agree that article is sensationalist at the very least, but... I do think that if they were alerted in 2011 to abuses in their suppliers they should have implemented some sort of checking system.

Lets be honest here all of them know damm fine that when they outsource to third world countries that there is a real possibility of abuse occurring.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:06 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mfh
In Apple's case its simply so they can add money to their $137 Billion cash reserve, yes you read that right, they have $137,000,000,000 just lying around doing nothing (most of it offshore to avoid tax of course)
Apple total assets $176 Billion.
Apple cash $3.11 Billion.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing.../balance-sheet
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:14 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh
You can argue whether Apple or any other company has a moral obligation to pay lots of tax, but you can't argue that in a court of law, because frankly, what they are doing is perfectly legal. Do you see the IRS going after it? Nope. Because they can't. it's perfectly legal.

So you can blame Apple for doing something that's perfectly legal (and frankly, if you were in same boat, you would also be strongly advised to do same, and most likely would), but that won't satisfy your moral objections, will it?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
Apple total assets $176 Billion.
Apple cash $3.11 Billion.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing.../balance-sheet
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...984350234.html

according to the above WSJ article...

Apple's cash hoard, meanwhile, continues to grow rapidly. As of the end of December, the Cupertino, Calif., company's cash sat at $137.1 billion, up 68% from the end of fiscal 2011. More than two-thirds of that amount is held overseas.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 2:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mfh
@Amideislas This is not responsible journalism. It is sensationalism'

I don't normally read the Telegraph but I agree that article is sensationalist at the very least, but... I do think that if they were alerted in 2011 to abuses in their suppliers they should have implemented some sort of checking system.

Lets be honest here all of them know damm fine that when they outsource to third world countries that there is a real possibility of abuse occurring.
point taken, and agreed.

But Zara is not running slave camps - certainly nobody's been able to conjure up any evidence of that. I seriously doubt that's the truth anyway. But it's fun to hear about it.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:00 pm
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mfh

Apple's cash hoard, meanwhile, continues to grow rapidly. As of the end of December, the Cupertino, Calif., company's cash sat at $137.1 billion, up 68% from the end of fiscal 2011. More than two-thirds of that amount is held overseas.
The only way you can come up with anything like $137 Billion is :-

Cash................................$3.11 Billion
Short-term investments.......$26.02 Billion
Long-term Investments....... $92.12 Billion
Miscellaneous Current assets..$7.48 Billion
Other assets......................$5.48 Billion

The last four are not cash. They will need a lot of time to realize as cash.

Long-term investments includes companies around the world which Apple owns as part of it's business.

Apple is an international company 68% investment overseas is not abnormal.

You have given no evidence of them putting it in tax havens.

You have quoted from an article that seems to be in favour of asset stripping.

Witchhunt.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfh

Profits achieved at the expense of conditions so appalling that they had to install suicide nets at one of their outsourced companies in China, because workers were throwing themselves out of windows.

In response to the suicides, Foxconn substantially increased wages for its Shenzhen factory workforce, installed suicide-prevention netting, and asked employees to sign no-suicide pledges. Workers were also forced to sign a legally binding document guaranteeing that they and their descendants would not sue the company as a result of unexpected death, self-injury, or suicide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Profits achieved at the expense of conditions so appalling that they had to install suicide nets at one of their outsourced companies in China, because workers were throwing themselves out of windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Indefensible.

I only dip in here when I see figures twisted worse than Yuri Geller's corkscrew.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Witchhunt.
LOL so you think the Wall Street Journal is conducting a witch hunt?

Try Googling Apple Cash Hoard and you will find plenty of sites ranging from Appleinsider to Forbes and of course the WSJ speaking about the exactly same thing.

I am quite aware that cash hoard does not mean its just sitting in the bank.
Here is a snippet from another WSJ article...

'One problem Apple has in returning more cash to shareholders is the fact that nearly 70% of its cash rests offshore, according to \recent regulatory filings. Sacconaghi of Bernstein believes this will constrain the amount of cash it can return to shareholders unless Apple considers using debt, or repatriating its cash, the latter of which would incur a tax penalty, he said.'

“While neither option is perfect, we believe investors would support either, if it enables a material increase in cash return — we have a preference for the former [debt],” he wrote.'

Here is the link if you are interested

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2013...oni-sacconaghi

I am not a financial expert at all but if most economists/Financial commentators are using the term 'cash hoard' well I see no reason why I should not use the same expression, do you?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 4:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mfh
I am not a financial expert at all but if most economists/Financial commentators are using the term 'cash hoard' well I see no reason why I should not use the same expression, do you?
There is NO such term as "CASH HOARD" in accountancy.

It is a term used by the press to sensationalize their stories.

Originally Posted by mfh
You didn't even say "cash hoard" you said "cash reserve" which I have shown you is blatantly untrue. It is not "lying around doing nothing", it is invested.

By all means give Apple a good kicking but don't go round inventing figures, it makes your argument look stupid.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

There is NO such term as "CASH HOARD" in accountancy.

It is a term used by the press to sensationalize their stories.

You didn't even say "cash hoard" you said "cash reserve" which I have shown you is blatantly untrue. It is not "lying around doing nothing", it is invested.

By all means give Apple a good kicking but don't go round inventing figures, it makes your argument look stupid.
Excuse me I did not invent the figures quoted. Strange as it may seem a google search using the term 'Apple Cash Reserve' returns the same number as a search on 'Apple Cash Hoard' so I would suggest you take up your objections with the financial commentators concerned.

Oh and as an aside, I could, if you like find you a quote from Tim Cook speaking about how Apple is resisting returning some of its hoard/reserve in case it faces further downturns in its sales etc.

I'll concede that the expression 'lying around doing nothing' was a mistake but other than that I find your comment wrt hoard/reserve is just semantics.

Are you by any chance a retired Accountant?

I suggest that if you have any more objections about the total figures quoted you take it up with the web sites concerned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.