Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

I reckon like me Tom likes living on the edge- having a bit of excitement and daring in our lives, hence taking a chance with bizarre residency rules

Certainly the term " heroic" is thrown about a lot thesedays but hell-I will throw caution to the winds, with almost devil-may-care Bondesque carefree abandon, for my non registered 8 weeks. Live a little

Last edited by Dondurma; Oct 27th 2014 at 12:47 am.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Neptuno as I have said previously by the letter of the law free movement you are undoubtedly spot on. Point I and Dondurama are making is not re tax residency but him wanting to spend 8 weeks longer on holiday then the 90 days. As I have said in recent posts I can see the logic in just doing that rather than paying to come back here for a day or so or driving to France or Portugal. Some have no intention of breaching the 183 day rule (however there are as has been mentioned times that is not cast in stone ). They just want a long holiday are not depriving Spain of any income etc. I would say Dondurama is applying common sense.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is undoubtably full of stupid, complicated, confusing, penalising laws.
I don't like them either, but I can't cherry pick which laws I want to comply with!
Dondurm's situation is solvable.
Albir Tom refuses to accept his obligations that he is liable for income tax in Spain, and continues to go on about being a tourist, which we all know he isn't.
Why should laws apply to others, but not him?
We all use the roads ,lighting, pavements, beaches, parks etc, the emergency services are available to us, if we need them. Our taxes go towards many services, all of which he Is able to use
Simply stating that he will not comply with Spanish legislation is not something he is entitled to do.,
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god please ?

I feel like losing the will to live.

If I set the car valet up i would do whatever's needed including signing onto the local padron and registering as resident.

This is hilarious.

Iv had plenty of traffico fines and I don't live everyday worrying if I'm going to die in Spain.

Serious jobsworths especially you phil tuffnel!!

Get over it.

Mooove alonggg
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not talking about Albir Toms situation, I am also well aware of what taxes are used for, I have paid and continue to my full dues of tax in Spain. However Dondurma extending their holiday by a few weeks over 90 days has not deprived the Spanish authorities of any income. They will have made their bit from him through tourism taxes via airports/ports and what he spends on his holiday. You do not seem to see the nonsense of the implication of the current requirements of signing the foreigners register, it has not always been this way. As has been said before (we have discussed this all previously at length), to prove income one needs a bank account and the application signing by the bank, plus of course private health insurance as holiday insurance is not deemed suitable, all this for a long holiday? Surely you can see how nonsical that is? Plus if you apply but fail to meet the standard. Then what ???? Errrr nothing silly. different I agree if one is say working for a few months but on holiday? Sometimes one has to apply common sense. Should the OP come purely for 9 months then return to their home in UK then yes they would breach 183 day rule but surely their economic interest would be UK and easy for anyone to see and understand.
I am done on the subject now as it is getting nowhere.

Last edited by bobd22; Oct 27th 2014 at 1:40 am.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I don't abide by this rule fair enough.

But how am I hurting you people who are getting so irate about it please tell me ?
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
Oh god please ?

I feel like losing the will to live.

If I set the car valet up i would do whatever's needed including signing onto the local padron and registering as resident.

This is hilarious.

Iv had plenty of traffico fines and I don't live everyday worrying if I'm going to die in Spain.

Serious jobsworths especially you phil tuffnel!!

Get over it.

Mooove alonggg
Why do you think that, because you don't work in Spain, you don't have to comply with residency and tax laws?
Presumably you have an income, unless the people you live with are incredibly generous?
So, if you earn any money, whether from a UK firm, Internet business etc why shouldn't you be paying the tax in Spain?
Simple enough question!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line on all this is -if it was a serious issue for the Spanish authorities they would be acting upon it.

I STILL await on this and other forums any evidence whatsoever of the Spanish caring enough to act against anyone for an overstay on a long holiday.

Add to that as I have highlighted earlier the Spanish Algarve region where periods of leaving/ staying in Spain occur day and daily without being recorded

If the authorities don't care why should ex pats

Last edited by Dondurma; Oct 27th 2014 at 1:45 am.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
I am not talking about Albir Toms situation, I am also well aware of what taxes are used for, I have paid and continue to my full dues of tax in Spain. However Dondurma extending their holiday by a few weeks over 90 days has not deprived the Spanish authorities of any income. They will have made their bit from him through tourism taxes via airports/ports and what he spends on his holiday. You do not seem to see the nonsense of the implication of the current requirements of signing the foreigners register, it has not always been this way. As has been said before (we have discussed this all previously at length), to prove income one needs a bank account and the application signing by the bank, plus of course private health insurance as holiday insurance is not deemed suitable, all this for a long holiday? Surely you can see how nonsical that is? Plus if you apply but fail to meet the standard. Then what ???? Errrr nothing silly different I agree if one is say working for a few months but on holiday? Sometimes one has to apply common sense. Should the OP come purely for 9 months then return to their home in UK then yes they would breach 183 day rule but surely their economic interest would be UK and easy for anyone to see and understand.
I am done on the subject now as it is getting nowhere.
As I understand it, Albir Tom hasn't extended his holiday by a few weeks but lives in Spain 11 months, UK 1.
The tax man decides where the centre of economic interest is, hence the tax rules.
Albright Tom cannot understand why people are irate about him ignoring his obligations.
Perhaps the fact that some of us who go through the hoops to live our life as legally as possible, which can be stressful,don't like his "don't care "attitude?
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Deary me.

Pay tax in uk, work in uk, sleep in Spain.

Shoot me!!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you please re read my post you will see I started it by saying I am not talking about Albir Toms situation, I then went on to specifically refer to Dondurama wanting to have an extended holiday. My reference to centre of economic interest was clearly stated to be re the OP wanting to come for 9 months then return home to their habitual home in the UK. So long as they had never worked in Spain I.e. earned an income within Spain then a blind man on a galloping horse could see where their centre of economic interest was, again my view would differ if they planned to do the same every year.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

If it makes you any happier I'll move to Gibraltar xx
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest why dont you declare your income in Spain instead of the UK?

Would you be worse off?

Not bothered either way, none of my business, am just being nosy :-)
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe any ex pat who overstays the 90 days by one day should be hunted down, Bin Laden pursuit style, and stoned to death by locals using over cooked paella .
Old Oct 27th 2014, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
If you please re read my post you will see I started it by saying I am not talking about Albir Toms situation, I then went on to specifically refer to Dondurama wanting to have an extended holiday. My reference to centre of economic interest was clearly stated to be re the OP wanting to come for 9 months then return home to their habitual home in the UK. So long as they had never worked in Spain I.e. earned an income within Spain then a blind man on a galloping horse could see where their centre of economic interest was, again my view would differ if they planned to do the same every year.
I truly believe we have exhausted this subject (my belief but not necessarily others!) Bobd22 please do not go jumping any fences as to Centre of economic interest. If I give you the access to a law case platform you would be very surprised as to case law on the subject - as in most things it depends.

best wishes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.