Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Haha fella seriously I don't care.

What they gonna do lock me up.

Please.

Last edited by Albir_Tom; Oct 26th 2014 at 8:53 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Surely he is here illegally, as after 90 days a person is legally obliged to sign on the foreigners register?
Grass me up if you like :-)
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

There was an argument very similar to this on another forum, which became nasty,and the original poster was banned.
The poster simply would not accept his obligations re residency and tax
I wonder if there is any connection?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

No connection and I don't intend on getting nasty.

I'm finding it bizarre how angry it makes other though and it's nobody else's problem it's mine if anybody's.

End of the day iv been plodding on for 7 years doing the same thing and had no problems, so oh well.

*YAWN*

Everybody tries to come across so prim and proper lol.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Best hope I don't end up on Crimewatch wanted on a European arrest warrant by Interpol eh!! Hehe
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they get angry because they are doing their best to live here legally, and are annoyed to find that someone living under the radar couldn't give a damn!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Tom

I have been digging up info on this forum and many others re this exact subject. My own scenario will be around 5 months at a time in Spain- ie officially needing residency.

After much searching asking etc I have discovered that

1 its almost impossible to comply with the residency regulation because of the daft situ re healthcare ( for a 5 month period)

2 10s of thousands do not register as residents in situs like mine ( long stay but not over the 183 days tax due scenario) and are not exactly on Spain's most wanted criminals list

I will take out long term travel health cover to cover me fully for my 5 months and am confident I will get no hassle
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dondurma
Tom

I have been digging up info on this forum and many others re this exact subject. My own scenario will be around 5 months at a time in Spain- ie officially needing residency.

After much searching asking etc I have discovered that

1 its almost impossible to comply with the residency regulation because of the daft situ re healthcare ( for a 5 month period)

2 10s of thousands do not register as residents in situs like mine ( long stay but not over the 183 days tax due scenario) and are not exactly on Spain's most wanted criminals list

I will take out long term travel health cover to cover me fully for my 5 months and am confident I will get no hassle
You won't get hassled unless you have people like these around you trying to be all prim and proper. Going out of there way to make people's lives difficult.

Yes there are tens of thousands of Brits in Spain doing exactly the same as us and causing no harm. Town halls only really want you to register on the padron so there town gets more funding, more people more funding. It just boils down to paperwork codswallop.

@Neptuno I am an EU citizen I am here legally.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is, however a legal requirement , is it not, to sign on the foreigners register after 90 days? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

You are of course correct Neptuno

However how many people ever get in trouble for not doing so?????- esp longer stay tourists like myself ( 5 month hols) as opposed to permanent residents
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neptuno
It is, however a legal requirement , is it not, to sign on the foreigners register after 90 days? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have not once said you are wrong, infact I do thank you for bringing it to light really.

Put it this way, when I get to the age where I want to buy a retirement home in Spain I would definitely do all the above that you have stated. But for now I'm 30 I'm in Spain 11 month of the year with family and friends but also working from phone and laptop earning in England, chilling out holidaying, relaxing.

I have not even thought about wanting to stay in Spain for the rest of my life yet.

Like I said I believe I am doing no harm.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

So for the original poster of this thread if you are only coming to Spain to chill out for 9 months don't commit yourself to claiming residency, changing vehicles and driving licenses to Spanish it's just pointless.

You won't get any hassle.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are of course correct Neptuno

However how many people ever get in trouble for not doing so?????- esp longer stay tourists like myself ( 5 month hols) as opposed to permanent residents
Just because people don't get into trouble, doesn't make it right, and is no reason not to comply with the law.
Albir Tom thinks people who do things legally are prim and proper-how would he describe himself, then?
He apparently thinks he has some God given right to be different from someone else, and ignore the rules of the country he is resident in.
As far as I know, there isn't a certain age at which one starts to obey the law!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well for my own situation if it was possible to comply I would, unfortunately the rules/ regs don't seem to cover my 5 month scenario.

All I can do is pay for my own health ins ( so not leeching off anyone) get my NIE and go about my time there hassling no one

I don't think I will appear on Spain's Crimewatch
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well for my own situation if it was possible to comply I would, unfortunately the rules/ regs don't seem to cover my 5 month scenario.

All I can do is pay for my own health ins ( so not leeching off anyone) get my NIE and go about my time there hassling no one

I don't think I will appear on Spain's Crimewatch
At least you are not avoiding your tax obligations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.