Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Old Oct 26th 2014, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

anjano is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Hi all, we are looking to stay in Spain for at least nine months of the year and I have been told that we have to have residency. Is this right, and if so, can someone give me advice as to what I need to do please? The other thing is, will I have to re-register our motorhome and change driving licences?
We are staying at one place and won't be using the motorhome for travelling.
Many thanks
anjano.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Welcome to BE. I've moved your thread over to our Spain forum...as it will get more views from people who are in a better position to help you.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Not only residency, you will be tax resident and have to declare your worldwide income in Spain, plus you will have the joys of asset declaration if any of your assets outside Spain total more than 50 k in the categories of savings, investments or property.
Use the search facility on this forum for info on tax and residency, as it is complicated and needs lengthy explanation.Then, if there are any specific questions, come back and ask .
Old Oct 26th 2014, 5:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anjano
Hi all, we are looking to stay in Spain for at least nine months of the year and I have been told that we have to have residency. Is this right, and if so, can someone give me advice as to what I need to do please? The other thing is, will I have to re-register our motorhome and change driving licences?
We are staying at one place and won't be using the motorhome for travelling.
Many thanks
anjano.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Not only residency, you will be tax resident and have to declare your worldwide income in Spain, plus you will have the joys of asset declaration if any of your assets outside Spain total more than 50 k in the categories of savings, investments or property.
Use the search facility on this forum for info on tax and residency, as it is complicated and needs lengthy explanation.Then, if there are any specific questions, come back and ask .
I don't get that ? I'm in spain 11 months of every year I have never declared a thing I own or have in England and I have never claimed residency that's for sure, when I go back to England each December I renew my yearly backpackers holiday insurance which covers me in private hospitals in Spain that's all that matters really I have an NIE number so I could open a bank account and get car insurance but that's about all iv done.

So I'm here illegally ?

To the poster of this thread. If your only here for 9 months of each year and your finances are in England then don't claim residency at all because you don't need to I just urge you to get good insurance and get a NIE number from the police station, if your on a camp site with your motor home and are not moving then your plot will have a number you can use that number along with the campsite address for an official address to get your NIE number at the police station, campsites usually address it over a tanai when the post man has been.

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR DRIVING LICENCE AND LEAVE VEHICLE REG AS IT IS.

Why fix something that isn't broke ?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

Originally Posted by Albir_Tom
I don't get that ? I'm in spain 11 months of every year I have never declared a thing I own or have in England and I have never claimed residency that's for sure, when I go back to England each December I renew my yearly backpackers holiday insurance which covers me in private hospitals in Spain that's all that matters really I have an NIE number so I could open a bank account and get car insurance but that's about all iv done.

So I'm here illegally ?

To the poster of this thread. If your only here for 9 months of each year and your finances are in England then don't claim residency at all because you don't need to I just urge you to get good insurance and get a NIE number from the police station, if your on a camp site with your motor home and are not moving then your plot will have a number you can use that number along with the campsite address for an official address to get your NIE number at the police station, campsites usually address it over a tanai when the post man has been.

No you are not here illegally but you are and have been Tax Resident after the first 183 days.

Oh dear you have just told the world and the Hacienda!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Albir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeAlbir_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
No you are not here illegally but you are and have been Tax Resident after the first 183 days.

Me and thousands of others.

Bigger problems on there hands than me.

I'm here putting into there economy everyday and never taking anything out and never will.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

Looking at that in a nut shell declaring myself to my local ayuntamento would only benefit me if I wanted to register for healthcare, vote or claim benefits which I never intend to do.

If I ever fell ill in Spain I would only use private hospitals anyway.

So in so many words I cause no harm to anybody, I pay my way and don't take a thing.

I'm just on an extended holiday.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: RESIDENCY IN SPAIN

https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

Looking at that in a nut shell declaring myself to my local ayuntamento would only benefit me if I wanted to register for healthcare, vote or claim benefits which I never intend to do.

If I ever fell ill in Spain I would only use private hospitals anyway.

So in so many words I cause no harm to anybody, I pay my way and don't take a thing.

I'm just on an extended holiday.
Spain and UK are both short of tax dollars at the moment extra tax more would pay more desperatly needed nurses in both countries.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Its an argument but please forgive me if you are in Spain for 183 days you are fiscally resident but whether they would catch you is another thing.

But I am able to tell you that you mens rea will let you down.

Do not take chances but of course lots do.

One month in the UK then 11 months in Spain where is your centre of economic interest.

It is like saying I do not live in Birmingham I live sometimes in Droitwich and sometimes in Stourbridge . But on a good day you could find me on the Hagley Road behind the Chamber of Commerce Building.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Every single last penny I have, I have paid tax on in England. It's getting spent in Spain.... Spain is benefitting from every penny I spend here because it's going into there economy.

So I have to tell the Spanish government how much money I have and pay tax on my hard earned cash again ?

In another thread I am considering starting up a business. If I do I will happily register autonomo and pay tax.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm here illegally ?

As a UK lawyer and without being sniffy I will give you some basic first year tutorials as in centres of economic interests and the like. Would you prefer to pay me in euros or £'s but not please in cash.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

Surely he is here illegally, as after 90 days a person is legally obliged to sign on the foreigners register?
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Every single last penny I have, I have paid tax on in England. It's getting spent in Spain.... Spain is benefitting from every penny I spend here because it's going into there economy.

So I have to tell the Spanish government how much money I have and pay tax on my hard earned cash again ?

In another thread I am considering starting up a business. If I do I will happily register autonomo and pay tax.

You simply do not understand please with respect go away and look at the actual law as to residency.

It matters nothing where you spend your money it matters where the law says you are fiscally resident. For the last one month when you return tothe UK you could park up on the Clent hills but where you are fiscally resident is totally another issue.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm very confused here. I own property in England I have savings. I come to Spain and spend it, if I fell ill I would go to private hospital and then go back to England when fit to continue medical help, I'm only 30 so can't see that happening anytime soon.

I just can't see what on earth I am actually doing wrong by not declaring myself a resident ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.