Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons why you're staying in Spain

Originally Posted by sonofspain1973
Why there are Spaniards living, for example, in London? I have read that many for money, other because they like London etc etc etc. Why there are Brits, German or Australian living in Spain? Because it will be for the reasons that there are Spaniards in United Kingdom, many: climate, security, food, business...Are many variants, because each person is a world

Ah! Now I have Chinese and Moroccans neighbors, and any problem. Very nice people. People here will treat you how depends is your behavior
Hey Duncan, good to have you back..........
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:29 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Who is Duncan Is he another pretend Spaniard too?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Who is Duncan Is he another pretend Spaniard too?
We suspect, that Duncan is SoS.....
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 8:15 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa
Quite amusing really, the foam-flecked tory readers of the Times would normally be fully for this sort of thing - "making the scroungers pay up" rather than "hard working families" having to pay more taxes etc, but as it is Labor that has put this measure forward they are now bleating out for the human rights legislation that they usual decry.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:34 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

As we woke up yesterday to yet another grey damp day, more traffic jams in our small Wiltshire market town, more scrums down Morrisons with grumpy miserable looking people with enough food in their trolleys to survive a 40-day siege, and hardly a smile or a merry christmas, we are just so glad to have the opportunity to give Spain a go and are so looking forward to a very different Christmas next year.

Thanks to all who've added to this thread and a very Merry Christmas to you all, closely followed by a happy and prosperous 2009!
JnK

Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:42 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
As we woke up yesterday to yet another grey damp day, more traffic jams in our small Wiltshire market town, more scrums down Morrisons with grumpy miserable looking people with enough food in their trolleys to survive a 40-day siege, and hardly a smile or a merry christmas, we are just so glad to have the opportunity to give Spain a go and are so looking forward to a very different Christmas next year.

Thanks to all who've added to this thread and a very Merry Christmas to you all, closely followed by a happy and prosperous 2009!
JnK

Much as I'm an admirer of the Spanish and their way of living, I'm afraid that you'll find shopping in Spanish supermarkets, and traffic jams in the towns and cities, just as annoying and tedious as in the UK. Still, it helps if the sun is shining. Good luck with your move, and a Merry Christmas to you!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:49 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Much as I'm an admirer of the Spanish and their way of living, I'm afraid that you'll find shopping in Spanish supermarkets, and traffic jams in the towns and cities, just as annoying and tedious as in the UK. Still, it helps if the sun is shining. Good luck with your move, and a Merry Christmas to you!
I think that's the thing that makes the biggest difference ... the sun will be shining having lived 27 years in South Africa and 12 years back in Blighty, I do so miss that big yellow orb it lifts your spirits without a doubt, and I think the mania is shops wasn't so bad there because with the sun being in residence, people tend to spend more time outside relaxing and having fun whereas when it's grey, damp and miserable ... well ... it seems to be shopping or the pub
Old Dec 24th 2008, 8:53 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by JnK
I think that's the thing that makes the biggest difference ... the sun will be shining having lived 27 years in South Africa and 12 years back in Blighty, I do so miss that big yellow orb it lifts your spirits without a doubt, and I think the mania is shops wasn't so bad there because with the sun being in residence, people tend to spend more time outside relaxing and having fun whereas when it's grey, damp and miserable ... well ... it seems to be shopping or the pub
Yep and the good thing is that it never rains in Spain and is always warm and toastie.....
Old Dec 24th 2008, 9:06 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yep and the good thing is that it never rains in Spain and is always warm and toastie.....
Mmmmmm ... do I detect a note of cynicism there ...
Old Dec 24th 2008, 9:07 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by JnK
ME?!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 9:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
maybe you do

but then it's a cold grey day here in Spain today
Old Dec 24th 2008, 9:35 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot one important thing - the beaches!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Not in Arxarxia !
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
I'm staying in Spain for now because I like it more than the UK and have a job out here, mainly moved for the weather and how much cheaper it is.
How is Spain cheaper??
On a whole I don't think it is when you compare it to the wages out here. Iam still living out here and I pay 750 euros in rent. I can get something at 500eu but it's a slum. My internet charges with telefonica is 40euros plus tax,plus line rental so in all its about 62euros. In the UK you can get ADSL,line rental, mobile contract and digital TV channels for £30 with Virgin.
In Leeds I can rent a luxury apartment for less than £500

My electricity is 125euro every 2 months for a 2 bed house. My parents pay £70 every 2 months. Gas in Spain is cheaper cos we are on bottled so we normally spend 27euro a month compared to £40 in the uk but my mums central heating is on most nights in the uk.

Shopping at the moment is cheaper back in the uk. I went back 4 weeks ago and they are having big price wars on at the moment. There are a lot of 2 for 1 offers and you can get a trolly full now for about £35. The only supermarket in spain I find cheaper than anything in the uk is Mercadona but you are limited to what you can buy and dont do a lot of good tinned food, but for essentials it is very good.
Beer,cigarettes and petrol cheaper in Spain and road tax is cheaper but I find 2nd hand cars much dearer than back home. There is no council tax in Spain but I dont particuarly think renting is cheaper in spain either.

Both countries have their pros and cons and of course you do have the weather here although saying that in June, July and August I much prefer the Uk weather. As for beauty(countyside) the UK for me wins hands down.When you drive through the dales,the lake district or the cotsworlds nothing in Spain compares to it. I live on the costa Blanca and it's baron but I do know its not all like that and I know in the North its very much like the UK.

I do love both countries very much but I cannot slate Blighty in any way.It is still one of the nicest countries in the world.

Last edited by spainboy; Dec 27th 2008 at 4:09 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:21 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Spainboy, you tell it like it is. It is cheaper in the UK just now if you count the rubbish exchange rate. Many people won't admit it or they do not actually travel and shop in the UK much. Bit of Karma for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.